TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-18-2014, 09:24 PM   #21
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Yes, I manually downshifted at the top of grades, when engine speed was reasonable. My old diesel GC held me back fine.

There is no Tow Mode on the diesel. I have Eco(nomy) mode, Sport Mode, and Drive Mode. I took it out of Eco mode on any grade, up or down. I tried Sport Mode on the downhills, but that didn't hold me back any better than Drive Mode. I think it is the 8-speed tranny.

The Jeep Owner's Manual states that if one downshifts manually, if engine speed increases too much, it will upshift. To me, a non-mechanic, it seems like there is insufficient compression for proper engine braking, but I won't put money on it. All I do know for sure is, it does not hold me back like all my old Jeeps did. 4.7L V8, 5.7L Hemi, 3L diesel in my 2007. Each of them held me back on downhills, and I never touched the brakes. I have to brake every 15 seconds, or so, on steep hills, now. I have let Jeep know, as I got a survey from them yesterday. I let them have it, and said they can call me. We'll see if I get any response. Sure as heck won't get a better engine out of it. I would still recommend the diesel, as it tows flats and uphills great. The downhills are just more problematic than I am accustomed to. I will have to adjust my driving method on downhills. Can't really say I will drive slower, as the engine won't let me do that!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote