TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
tarudy

I just bought a 2922KB TM last weekend and towed it home. My TV is a 2002 4Runner, 6cyl with 170,000 miles on it. I am hoping with will be a do-able combination. I am a little worried about using up the last of my 4runner sooner due to towing. And I would love some opinions on how necessary are the weight distribution bars and anti-sway bar. I did put them on, but they add significant weight to the hitch area which would be nice to avoid. Opinions?

Thanks,
Trudy
Old 02-25-2014, 03:57 PM   #12
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

While your WDH may add about 100 lbs to your hitch weight, you must use a WDH. It keeps your TV much more balanced, when properly set up. If you don't use the WDH, you will have your front-end way too light, which is dangerous (and will have your headlights in oncoming drivers' eyes at night).

Don't try to accelerate too fast, and you will put less stress on the tranny.

Enjoy your new mobile cabin!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #13
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

The WDH you will need, this is to prevent the tongue weight exceeding the 500# rating of the hitch platform without a wdh. The anti sway most likely not.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #14
tarudy

Wow, thank you both for the quick replies and the feedback. I am a 59 yo single F, will be doing this all on my own and I so much appreciate the wisdom that I get from others on this forum. I will definately use the WDH now. The anti-sway bar isn't as heavy so I might as well use that, too. As long as I remember not to back up with it on.

The real test for me now will be to see if how I tolerate the extra work to set up and break down every time I use it. Would you more experienced TM owners say that you are used to it and don't mind it?

Thanks again,
Trudy
Old 02-25-2014, 10:11 PM   #15
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

There are differing opinions (I suspect based on different experiences) as to whether or not you need anti-sway with a TM. You can look up several threads about this from the last year. As for me I very much like the Andersen No Sway Weight Distributing Hitch and I find it absolutely essential to have the no sway feature. The problem with a trailer going into a fishtail is that it can happen suddenly and without you expecting it. By then you have got your hands full, to say the least. I would not feel safe pulling my 2922KD without one.
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:47 AM   #16
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarudy View Post
....................snip

The real test for me now will be to see if how I tolerate the extra work to set up and break down every time I use it. Would you more experienced TM owners say that you are used to it and don't mind it?

Thanks again,
Trudy
For us it is no problem, we travel 150 to 200 miles between campsites. Changing every day or two.

The trick is to release the spring bars after taking up the tongue weight with the tongue jack. Use the reverse to connect the spring bars. Lower the tongue over the ball until the TV is just starting to accept the tongue weight. Requires almost no effort to hook up the spring bars this way.

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #17
tarudy

OK, thank you for the feedback on the WDH and anti-sway bar, but what about setting up and taking down the TM itself? Are there a lot of happy campers out there or does it become burdensome after time?

Thanks, Trudy
Old 03-01-2014, 04:54 AM   #18
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarudy View Post
OK, thank you for the feedback on the WDH and anti-sway bar, but what about setting up and taking down the TM itself? Are there a lot of happy campers out there or does it become burdensome after time?

Thanks, Trudy
A lot less effort then a pop-up. We have actually gotten it set up faster then an A-liner setting up next to us. Our typical set up time from the time time we start to back into a camp site to sitting in a camp chair is about an hour. From that you have to take out common set up things to any camper such as leveling. The two us do the front shell because of the tongue. The rear shell is one hand for me or two for my under 5 foot wife.