TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
camping with kids

Default Is the 2720 big enough for 5?

My husband and I have been looking into TM for several years, but have been unable to jump into one, until now. We have 3 boys...a 4 yr. old and twin 2 yr. olds. We found a barely used 2006 in our area (Idaho) and the dealer is asking $20,995. They admitted that they want to get rid of it (they aren't a TM dealer, and TM isn't known in our area), and that they'll make us a great deal. However, we are afraid the dining area, especially, will be too small for us. We will mostly be camping at campgrounds with facilities. We love the new colors in the 2007s, but the price for a used one so close to home is very tempting. We were considering driving to Salt Lake City, Utah, to get a new 3023. Any insight would be helpful!
Old 03-26-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
Freedom

If it is actually a 2720 and not the SD or SL model, it should be plenty big enough for your family. While the boys are small you can put them sideways on the bed and they won't roll out. We take our grandsons with us and we only have a 2619. The 2720 has a queen sized bed in the back that would be great for three small boys. You could even put them on the front bed sideways for a long time. Our grandsons are 7and 9 and if we let them sleep on the front bed we put the dinette down just in case one would roll out. Most of the time we have them in the back and the bathroom and wardrobe make it very difficult for them to roll out of bed. You could even put something across the space between the bathroom and the wardrobe and make it like a giant playpen back there. (Maybe one of those stairs gates.) The 2720 (not SD or SL) is supposed to sleep six with two on the dinette. If the trailer you're looking at is either an SD or SL, all bets are off!
Old 03-26-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
PopBeavers

We rarely eat at the table. We frequently eat at the picnic table that each camp site almost always has. Besides that I carry 2 folding tables.

When we have guests with us, we usually convert the table into a bed and just leave it that way.

However, since we never camp in the rain we never use the TM to get out of the weather. We use the TM as a kitchen and bedrooms on wheels.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We only have 2 kids, and we seem to fit fine in the TM, and they are bigger than me now. I think you would be OK with the 2720, but I think you'd be happier with the 3023. Sometimes I can't find a place to sit down inside because the kids somehow seem to fill up the entire dining area. It can get a little close in there, especially when it's raining. I talked to a guy with a 3023 down at Seacliff Beach last year who had sold his 2720 and got a 3023 because he couldn't find a place to sit down either (with the 2720).

We spend most of our time outside (when the weather's good) but my daughter gets cold and likes to be inside where it's warmer. And of course we're all in there in the morning, and at night before we fall asleep.

Have you been in both a 2720 and a 3023? I'd love to have that extra 3' of space, but it would be difficult to get one into our driveway, and we also like to be able to park in smaller sites (it's easier to find a site that way).
Old 03-27-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
coulter

I did a lot of looking before purchasing our 3023, and the 2720 in my opinion would be adequate for a couple and 3 children, but as they get bigger they take up more room, not when they are sleeping so much but when they are awake, moving around. We are campers that spend most of our time outside also but there are times you will want to be inside for extended periods. There is SO much difference in the living area of the two trailers because of that extra 3 feet of living space that my family are really glad we choose the larger trailer. You really should try to see both units in person before deciding if that is possible.