TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2022, 09:43 AM   #11
Stretch

As already been stated, you're not really boosting the cell signal. You're merely extending the signal into your camper. If the signal outside your camper is weak, you'll be extending that weak signal into the camper. You're just bypassing the metal shell of the camper that is obstructing the signal that is outside of the camper (weak or otherwise). Yes you still might be able to pick up a stronger signal outside of the camper with a higher pole mount antennae, and thus extending that better signal into the camper and receiver. However, I've found that by placing my cell phone next to a window that is closest and directional to the nearest cell tower (or even dangling it outside of a window) and using it as a hotspot, generally provides the same level of service you'd get with a whole external antennae/internal receiver/wifi transmitter set up and associated costs.

Look into https://www.starlink.com/rv.

Expensive, yes. But you can turn it on and off as needed.
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:10 PM   #12
inghamm
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
As already been stated, you're not really boosting the cell signal. You're merely extending the signal into your camper. If the signal outside your camper is weak, you'll be extending that weak signal into the camper. You're just bypassing the metal shell of the camper that is obstructing the signal that is outside of the camper (weak or otherwise). Yes you still might be able to pick up a stronger signal outside of the camper with a higher pole mount antennae, and thus extending that better signal into the camper and receiver. However, I've found that by placing my cell phone next to a window that is closest and directional to the nearest cell tower (or even dangling it outside of a window) and using it as a hotspot, generally provides the same level of service you'd get with a whole external antennae/internal receiver/wifi transmitter set up and associated costs.
No, I would disagree. The yagi antenna receives more signal than the tiny antenna in a cell phone can receive. That signal is amplified inside. I've gone from no reception (outside my trailer) to some reception inside, and no 4G (outside my trailer) to 4G inside. Granted, if there is absolutely no cell signal then there is nothing to amplify, but if there is a little bit of signal it can be amplified (boosted)

TM: 2007 2720 (QB) TV: 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller, Andersen No-Sway WDH
CARCHET Solar Powered TMPS
Dometic CRX-1110 AC/DC Compressor Fridge, 200 W Solar
inghamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:28 AM   #13
Stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by inghamm View Post
No, I would disagree. The yagi antenna receives more signal than the tiny antenna in a cell phone can receive. That signal is amplified inside. I've gone from no reception (outside my trailer) to some reception inside, and no 4G (outside my trailer) to 4G inside. Granted, if there is absolutely no cell signal then there is nothing to amplify, but if there is a little bit of signal it can be amplified (boosted)
Again, you're not "boosting" anything. You're "retrieving" whatever signal is outside. The yagi gives you more surface area to retrieve with, but there is no "amplication" happening. You're retrieving and extending a signal. You cannot pour water from one bucket to another and expect to have more water.
Old 08-17-2022, 11:00 AM   #14
inghamm
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Again, you're not "boosting" anything. You're "retrieving" whatever signal is outside. The yagi gives you more surface area to retrieve with, but there is no "amplication" happening. You're retrieving and extending a signal. You cannot pour water from one bucket to another and expect to have more water.
https://www.surecall.com/support/upl...User_Guide.pdf

The signal goes to an amplifier (booster) mounted inside my trailer. It amplifies the cell signal and then sends it out from the small antenna on top of the amplifier. If you adjust the gain (amplification) too high, the amplified signal inside gets picked up by the antenna outside, creating a signal loop. It has "Automatic Gain Control" to help prevent this from happening. Although water may not be capable of being amplified, signal can. The tiny amount of signal from a phono cartridge on a record player goes to a pre-amplifier to raise the signal up to the "line level" of most audio sources, and then on to another amplifier to send the signal to speakers. On top of my house I have TV antennas so I can pull in free digital TV. I have the best antennas I can buy so I start with the best signal possible, but then I also have an amplifier at the antenna to boost the signal down the wire into the house, and then a distribution amplifier to boost the signal out to various spots in the house. That way my devices get much more signal than if I didn't have the amplifiers. So in this case we are using the better signal from the Yagi outside and then amplifying the signal for our smaller cell phone antennas inside.

TM: 2007 2720 (QB) TV: 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller, Andersen No-Sway WDH
CARCHET Solar Powered TMPS
Dometic CRX-1110 AC/DC Compressor Fridge, 200 W Solar
inghamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:47 AM   #15
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Call it Boost or amplification... it DOES INDEED make a weak signal stronger. As a Audiophile and HAM radio enthusiast, I can tell you that a good antenna (with DB GAIN) and a small AMPLIFIER, you can BOOST a signal, That's how microphones work. A tiny voltage input is sent to an amplifier and BOOSTED!

As I right this I am sitting nest to my HAM radio signal booster attached to a 8DG gain antenna. With them I can pull in signals from 60+ miles from my home, without them, I'm lucky to get 10 or so miles.
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:32 AM   #16
Stretch

Once again sir, you're not "amplifying" the original signal coming from the cell tower. Your throughput will always be limited to that signal strength. The weakest link will always be your inhibitor when networking. If you're seeing 1,000kb of throughput from the cell signal outside, you can "boost" it all you want inside, believe your lying eyes that you're seeing more bars on your phone, but at the end of the day you'll never get more than that original 1,000kb of throughput. It would be a wonderful world if we could do that, and we'd all share our boosted cellular connections across the campground, but that doesn't exist yet.

What you can do is get Starlink (https://www.starlink.com/rv, bridge it through your own router with a captive portal and WiFi6, and share that connection with your neighbors. That captive portal could be a pay-to-play connection, just like at a hotel, to offset your Starlink costs.