TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-25-2014, 05:39 AM   #41
Dave99gst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Ones I have use a built in flexible stub antenna about an inch long on the separate TX module. The cables (power and video) between the two are about two feet long.

I may build a bubble enclosure on top of the coach for the TX module and power from the taillight. If works would be easier than running the lines to the front.
running wires to the front of a camper (underneath) is prob the easiest mod you will do to your TM. In the list of hard things.. I don't think it even rates enough to make the list.
Dave99gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #42
atunesmith

Default Rear View Cam Features

TM newbie's first post. Hope I get this right. Many thanks for all the priceless mod info. Researched rear cam systems and collected these as selection criteria:

CCD much preferred over CMOS camera - much better pic detail and quality.
TFT LCD monitor preferred, minimum 4.5", but CCD camera makes other monitors look good enough.
Minimum 12 LED camera lights for optimum night vision and depth.
Minimum wide angle view = 100 deg. (most I see are 120+ anyway)
Switchable Reverse/Mirror feature
Display clips onto TV rear view mirror
Weatherproof (some publish metrics)
Metal housings and brackets - not plastic
Shock-proof construction (there are some over-my head metrics out there)
Hard wire it. Many posts on wireless units still having problems with signal noise and interference. Easy to run wires under the tow vehicle and trailer. Protective cable covers cheap and available
Agree with cig lighter power. Huge safety benefit having it on all the time. (Many insurance companies agree.) Even showing up for motorcycles!

Optional:
Three camera mounting bolts on the camera sides for easy precise aiming.
Some displays include other monitor inputs - DVD, GPS, smart phone...
Two cameras and cables (for TM and TV) nice for hookup and TV safety benefits.
Remote control? (Have to reach to find the remote anyway??)
Wireless mic and audio (I prefer to yell out the window!)

All of the above may cost a bit more, but with exception of DVD, remote, audio and home theater stuff, I can't justify skipping any other features.

I'll have to mount to top of TM, unless I want to keep a close eye on the bike rack. Thief deterrent. Also Bill's comment about headlights "blinding" the camera.

iPhone and Android setups sound promising if you could tap the phone's video-out and run it into a decent sized display. Small iPad or Android tablet might work well ($$$). But still trying minimize smart phone interaction in the car - again for safety.

BTW - Best value bike rack for max two bikes seems to be the relatively new Kuat Beta for frame mounted receiver hitch. Simple/strong/light aluminum design and construction. Tilt-away. Folds up small. Selling like hotcakes. Had to dig a little to find in stock.

Feedback welcome. This site rocks.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #43
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Hi atunesmith and welcome to The forum. It certainly seems you have done your homework on rear cameras and monitors. I'm sure you will pick the device that works best for your needs, but as far as wireless systems go the GE model that I have been using has never given me any trouble.

Good luck in your choice and post your experiences.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #44
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Good thoughts however the rear face of the TM when collapsed is the wall of the rear module. This means wires cannot be run straight down, they must go through the upper module to one of the legs, down the leg, and then under the frame and the first is the hard part to keep neat. Most wires run down a leg on the street side.

What you could do is wireless from the rear face down to something in the bumper box (about two feet away) and then hardwire forward from there. Remember you also will need a new wire with disconnect across the hitch to the TV and then one forward in the TV.

BTW I have a mirror display in the RV but for the TV & works well, the mirror is autodim and has the HFP microphone which I cannot cover.

Secondle I have had wireless backup cameras on the Jeep (TV) and the Vixen RV for some years and they work when I need them. True, occasionally it will lock on something near the street when driving but has not been a issue when needed.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #45
atunesmith

Default Thanks Padget and Redtail

Two more votes for wireless. Could be the posts I read were on older wireless tech. I also need to get better acquainted with TM wiring. I wired an addition on my previous house. Inspector said it met code but I used enough wire for a four-plex building!

Thanks for the guidance.

>
Old 06-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #46
TravlinOn

Appears to be some interest here in this topic. I just saw the below link elsewhere and the site seems to present some good information on selection, etc, of various products. Hope it helps.

http://backupcamerareviews.net/
Old 06-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #47
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail Cruiser View Post
Hi Trudy, I have been using the GE wireless camera system for some time now and have found it to be helpful. . I Superglued a small, 2"x2", steel plate to the rear roof of the TM and use the camera there while towing..
Hi Tim

Does the GE come with a magnetic base? Is this all that secures it as you go down the highway? And it stays up with no problems?

I just ordered one and am awaiting its arrival. I mainly want it for backing into campsite but if can be secured well, I might also use it on highway.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #48
Jeff the marmot

Just to mention another possibility, I recently installed a fairly nice wired camera and display with trailer disconnect on my TM. My wife and I are very impressed with it. The night vision is cool too. Actually, the first reason why that one caught my attention is that it has a proper trailer disconnect as part of the kit. The link to where I bought it is:
70CHNV-TRLR kit at www.rvcams.com
The resolution of the camera and display is really nice. It's a 7" color display. We used velcro on the windshield to hang the display in our TV. That way we can easily relocate the display to our other TV or even temporarily relocate the monitor to the interior of the TM if we want to check the camera while we're inside. I'm sooooo glad I have this camera while towing -- it makes such a big difference in safety and knowing if anyone is behind me.

I'm glad I didn't go with anything smaller than a 7" display because it's difficult to see the speed of distant approaching vehicles behind me. That is, the wide angle view of this camera is pretty wide at 130 degrees. So it's really nice to see almost to the bumper while simultaneously seeing above the horizon. But I'd say this is the widest camera lens that would still be acceptable. That's because the size of distant approaching vehicles on the display becomes smaller as you go with a wider angle lens. I can see fine if there's any vehicles within a few car lengths behind me. But beyond that, I really can't tell what speed they're approaching because the image is too small.

Oh - and this camera and display have audio! That's really useful for backing while someone directs me. There's a volume control on this display, so it's all built-in and really easy. Nothing extra or external required to get the sound.

A 2nd port on the display is available for another camera, although we only have 1 camera right now.

I mounted the camera fairly high, but below the running lights and above the top of the rear window covering. The window covering blocks half of the view when it's open and I'm viewing the image from inside the trailer. I mounted it below the running lights because the instructions that came from RVCams recommends it that way so you don't see a red glow in the bottom of the image at night if you were to mount it above those lights.

I routed the cable underneath the rear solar panel and then followed the solar wires back along the legs and underneath along the frame. I don't see any interference from the cable being near the solar wires (especially since that's DC instead of AC wires). I would have found it confusing where to route the cable and how much slack to give the cable near the hinges if I didn't have the solar there as an example.

Overall, my wife and I are really happy with this camera system!

Edit: I used a drill and a Dremel to make the slots a little longer which hold the camera at a slight angle downward. This allowed me to rotate the camera closer to horizontal. It's still pointed below horizontal, but we are much happier with this because distant cars appear larger in the monitor due to perspective or the fish-eye effect of the lens. This means I can get a better idea of how quickly distant cars are approaching. And we don't need to see what's immediately off of the rear bumper. Love it!

2009 2720SD, swing tongue added by pro welder, Dometic toilet, LEDs inside and out, one solar panel so far, rear view camera, and larger wheels and tires.
2007 4-door Tacoma
Jeff the marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #49
tarudy

Hi Jeff,

Thank you so much for this post. I can see all the advantages of the system that you mention and I appreciate the details about your installation. I believe that I will have one of these before my next major trip. It's quite pricey for me but then I will remind myself that safety is priceless and it will be money well spent.

Thanks again,
Trudy
Old 07-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #50
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Finally getting around to adding mine but just got buttoned up when the rains began, Orlando is now well into the monsoon season.

Already verified that it works with the display already in the TV, now just need to do end to end checkout. Have it wired to the taillight circuit and using one of the mounting scres for ground. Could use the backup light circuit but want to be able to use when on the road as well. This is how I have it wired in my RV.

Can't give a URL since VR3 is apparently no longer selling this unit but are a lot of wireless choices in the U$50 to $150 range.

Is on the bottom of the plate using standoffs with rubber feet to eliminate vibration. I found if mounted on the top it blocked the license plate light.

Enclosed pictures show the process. Fence is from the TV display with bargman connected but about a foot from the hitch. Weather is dark/rainy and this is parked in a bit of a grotto. Raster lines are not visible to humans.

I was concerned about wireless signal strength with the coach in between but does not seem to be an issue. Now I just need to add an on/off switch for the TV rear camera since it is dominant when in revese (is connected to the TV back up lights).

ps the components shown here date back to about 2009 because I wanted to make it compatible with the existing camera system in my TV. There have been improvements since. You can also take a wired system and add a wireless component, it just depends on what you want. Has anyone tried this one ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rvc1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	10214   Click image for larger version

Name:	rc2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	10215   Click image for larger version

Name:	rc3.jpg
Views:	114