TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #31
tarudy

Oh, now here's another thought, I like this one even better:

WIFI Wireless Car Backup Rear View Reversing Camera 1/3" Cmos Cam For Iphone, Andriod Easy installation

Amazon sells this camera and wifi transmitter for $89.00. Then you download a free app: rfk wifi, and you get to use your phone as the monitor screen. The camera is waterproof.

I don't know how to post the link from Amazon but above is the exact description of how it is listed there. Wondering if there is anyone else who has tried this system?

Trudy
Old 04-22-2014, 05:41 AM   #32
Dave99gst

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarudy View Post
Oh, now here's another thought, I like this one even better:

WIFI Wireless Car Backup Rear View Reversing Camera 1/3" Cmos Cam For Iphone, Andriod Easy installation

Amazon sells this camera and wifi transmitter for $89.00. Then you download a free app: rfk wifi, and you get to use your phone as the monitor screen. The camera is waterproof.

I don't know how to post the link from Amazon but above is the exact description of how it is listed there. Wondering if there is anyone else who has tried this system?

Trudy

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Backu.../dp/B00HMNS780

Seems like a nifty idea, i would imagine you would have to keep your phone plugged in or it would kill the battery.

As far as were i got my RCA cable. You can them anyplace ! But i think this one in particular came with something, im not sure what.
Dave99gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:25 AM   #33
Padgett
TrailManor Master

That is nifty and maybe the future since everything has WiFi. I am moving toward Windows tabs but have a Samsung Galaxy with android in the Jeep I use for entertainment, sat-nav, and engine diagnostics (Torque). Control box looks kind of bulky & must ship from China.

My concern is that the aluminum skin on the TM may block the signal (another set of trials I need to make )and may need a separate antenna box you can mount up top with LOS to the TV.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:28 AM   #34
hjbourge
Site Sponsor

In today's market of backup cameras why hasn't TM come up with a backup camera already installed in their trailers. That would save a lot of trouble and make us feel like the big rigs. Only my thoughts...

2720SD TM 2010 model
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Prodigy brake controller
hjbourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #35
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Am getting the feeling that TrailManor might be able to use a consultant who is a P.E. and skilled in both electrical and automotive disciplines. Or not.

Am also surprised they told me that a build sheet for my coach was not available. Am just having to gather all of the records for the different pieces.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #36
rumbleweed

Check this out before you commit. Many wireless cameras will not work well with the camera mounted on the rear of the TM and the receiver mounted in the TV.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #37
tarudy

Yes, I imagine that the signal might be weak if the transmitting distance is too far. So I plan to research if it's possible to do similar to what Dave99gst did and add 20 feet of wire or cable between the camera and the transmitter so that you can run this wire all the way to the tongue jack and tie wrap the transmitter to the tongue jack. That greatly reduces the distance to the receiver in the TV which in this case will be my Galaxy S4 on the dash. This also eliminates the aluminum skin of the TM from getting in the way. I will of course keep my S4 plugged in so it won't lose battery.

It sure seems like this should work... I will order the camera/transmitter as soon as I confirm that I can add additional wire...

Trudy
Old 04-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #38
Padgett
TrailManor Master

In that case you will need to route the wire with the other cables on the driver's side. Then you have the issue of power since the camera usually plugs into a pigtail on the transmitter.

I don't think the problem will be the 35 feet to the PV display but rather the aluminum shielding the signal. I need to run some signal strength tests in the 2.4 GHZ range to see what the attenuation is.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #39
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Dumb queston, perhaps, since I have not researched it. But do any of these transmitters offer a connector for an external antenna?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #40
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Ones I have use a built in flexible stub antenna about an inch long on the separate TX module. The cables (power and video) between the two are about two feet long.

I may build a bubble enclosure on top of the coach for the TX module and power from the taillight. If works would be easier than running the lines to the front.