TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Solar Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-18-2006, 08:40 PM   #1
Tonopah

Default Solar to charge batteries while TM stored

I have a 2720SL on order. There was a solar option (can'r recall if factory or dealer installed but it was $1,000) and I immediately passed on it. I never inquired as to details. Now I am wondering about solar though. Where I live (condo development) RVs are not allowed. I have made arrangements to store the 2720 in a nearby outdoor RV storage facility. The TM will have two deep cycle golf type batteries installed prior to delivery to me. I will dry camp but not likely for more than 3 days I'd guess. Me and my wife only. The fully charged batteries should be fine, I'd guess.
But how do I get them fully charged before each trip? I may have trouble with the "Homeowner Police" if I park the TM next to my condo to charge up with house current. I could always go the generator route and charge up at the storage facility before a trip but that would require sitting there near the running generator for hours. Maybe solar? Will even a small single solar panel mounted on the back shell do the job of charging and maintaining the battery charge (safely) between trips?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:47 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

If all else fails you could always bring home the batteries and charge them up with a battery charger like one of these:

http://www.batterychargers.com/itemlist.cfm?cid=2

I have one and sometimes use it to charge our extra 12V battery (that we use for the TV/DVD) before trips or if I just want to quickly charge the TM Trojans (we have two 6-volts too, the T-105's).

I think I paid about $70 for ours at the "W" store.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:43 PM   #3
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

My solar panels (admittedly overkill with four of them covering the entire rear roof (about $2,000 dealer installed)) keep my two golf cart batteries fully charged all year round. Just one panel would probably surfice for keeping your system charged while in storage. The controller, which comes with the solar system, is very "smart" and will not overcharge the batteries. All I do is make sure the battery electrolite (water) is kept up and that's all there is to it. Solar is the way to go.
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:40 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If there is no drain on them, batteries don't self-discharge very fast. So let me ask, how long between trips? If it is only a month or so, and if you disconnected the battery before putting the TM in storage, you don't need to "charge up before a trip". If it is 6 months - well, that's something else. The key is to disconnect the battery (pull the fuse) so as to avoid phantom / parasitic loads. BTW, you can do an Advanced Search on these terms, and learn a lot.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:31 PM   #5
Tonopah

If I drain the batteries down by say 50% on a trip, and then return the TM to storage, then on the next trip I am going to have a problem as the TV will not charge them up en route. So I have to have a way to charge them while the TM is stored (solar?) or during the last day of a trip while still at the campsite and before I pack up (Honda EU1000i or EU2000i?).
TM will remain in storage (outside and plenty of sun) for weeks between trips and maybe for a few months.
What solar wattage would I need to charge up the batteries and kept them safe while in storage like this? If I go the solar route, the least expensive and least heavy option would be best?
Old 06-25-2006, 01:20 PM   #6
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

My solar panels (see post #3 on this thread) keep things charged year round as they are "on" 24/7 (even when towing and in storage). All you have to do is to keep the battery water level up. I don't know what wattage the factory setup puts out (if you find out please let the forum know) but I suspect it would be adequate for storage purposes at least. The main consideration is to let the factory know you at least want the wiring for a solar installation put in when they build the TM (retrofitting the wiring can be done but it's much easier do wire it when it is built). That way you have many options ranging from never installing it or going overboard like I did. Given your situation, I'd go for the full factory package but let them know you might upgrade it later so they put in a heavier gauge of wire.
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:20 PM   #7
Tonopah

I think I missed the boat on the factory option of solar as my TM should be here in about a week. Wish I had asked questions earlier! I frankly had not thought out the issue of how to keep batteries charged up before I went ahead and ordered. I figure an EU2000i should do the trick in 2-3 hours and I can do that either at the campsite before packing up or at the storage facility if I need to. Kinda kicking myself though for neglecting to consider solar at time of purchase. Guess I can add later if I want to but as you have pointed out, that would be a more difficult install than one done at the factory as part of the build. Live and learn, I guess.
I will inquire more about the factory option though and I will post here what I find out.
By the way, a big factor in my decision to commit to TM was actually this forum. I spent time here before I decided on a TT and was impressed with this community -- the information available, and especially the tone of all the posts. Uniformly positive and helpful.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:50 PM   #8
tm3023bob

Default What does the factory installed solar look like?

What does the factory installed solar look like? Where is it located, etc.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:27 PM   #9
Tonopah

I don't know. But I will be discussing this with the dealer this week and will post what I find out.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:49 AM   #10
Caver
Site Sponsor

Default Factory Installed Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3023bob
What does the factory installed solar look like? Where is it located, etc.
Caver is offline   Reply With Quote