TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2005, 10:04 PM   #1
PopBeavers

Default Tire pressure versus ambient temperature

On my last trip I measured the tire pressure twice before starting.

1. In the garage when the outside temperature is 95 degrees at noon. TM was in the garage overnight. My guess is the temperature was 75. Pressure was 50.

2. Pulled the TM out of the garage, drove around the block once and parked it for an hour. Perssure went up 8 degrees so it was now at 58.

Since out in the sun seemed to more reasonably represent ambient temperature than parked in the garage overnight I let some air out.

Now the really interesting question. At 5pm the outside temperature was 108 degrees. I can't really measure the tire pressure because I just drove for 4 hours and the tires were obviously hot. Should I have let some air out of the tires? because the ambient temperature had risen 13 degrees?

Suppose you start out with properly inflated tires with the outside temperature around 50 in the mountains early in the morning and then drive to Death Valley in July where the temperature is 125. What should you do? It seems to me that you should let some air out of the tires but how much? When travelling, how long should you park to let the tires cool before measuring the pressure? There must be a rule of thumb to deal with drastic temperature changes. My simple test shows that a temperature increase of 20 degrees (garage to street) increases the tire pressure by 8 pounds (assuming the trip around the block with an hour to cool down had no effect on pressure).