TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #31
TMMiniVan

Bill, that's true but it made us feel better to see higher numbers!

-Amy
Old 05-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #32
Pitbull

Just got back from my maiden voyage (one week) with my GX and new TM. Both performed great! The GX towed amazingly smooth (without any sway or WD systems). I was able to keep the trans in 6th gear 80% of the trip (at 65mph) and got 16.8 mpg. It seems each gear equates to 1 mpg. If 5th is the primary highway gear I get mileage in the 15s and with 4th it's in the 14s. Anyway, I'm thrilled with being able to get that good mileage.

Koz
Old 07-31-2011, 03:20 PM   #33
TMMiniVan

Bringing back this thread from early summer We drove several potential new TVs yesterday and decided that we like the GMC Yukon. We also drove a Sequoia and I think my husband liked it (I didn't). We still want to drive the Chevy Suburban and Chevy Tahoe. If anyone has good or bad stories about these, I'm all ears. Consumer reports like them all, which helped us to narrow down our search. My favorite part of the Yukon was the fact that you can take out the third row seats completely (rather than just folding them down). We need room to transport 3 people, 3 dogs, and all of our stuff.

-Amy
Old 07-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #34
Scottie Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
Amy, I tow a 2720 as well. If you browse through the threads in "Towing Rigs", you find at least a few threads that say a TV with a 5000# tow rating gives a reasonable minimum margin of towing safety while allowing for decent non-towing mileage (such as a Highlander or Explorer). That said, I wouldn't rule out a Chevy Traverse or Honda Pilot which are in the mid 4's for towing. Make a list of potential vehicles and do a search on here. All the most common TV names have been mentioned. Also, there are also plenty of folks who do just fine by being careful with their 3500# tow-rated rigs. I had a bad experience with a Nissan Murano (3500# rating) with a CVT, as in burnt tranny smell after only a few miles. Thus I went with an overkill midsize pickup. To each their own... Good luck with your search!
r/Pat
I love my 2010 Explorer just got it 3 months ago brand new.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #35
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Lighter tow vehicles

One advantage we have as RVers is that we tow with pretty much the same weights and loads every time, and this allows us to cut things a bit closer than the people at U-haul, for example, where every rental from every customer is different. It's very important to know where we stand so that we can learn how to compensate for and take best advantage of our towing capacities.

Please make the effort to stop by a truck scale to get the real numbers that can tell you if your WDH is adjusted right and what is really going on with the way you load your vehicle. I've learned something important every time I've made the effort to weigh.

1) This site will tell you where a lot of them are and how to use them: http://catscale.com/

2) Do 3 weighings (the Cat Scale people charge $9 for the first weighing and $1 each for the others, at the time I write this):
1 - Hitched just as you rolled off the highway, with each axle on a different scale segment so that you will get 3 axle weights on the weigh ticket
2 - Repeat, with the WDH chains slacked
3 - Go park the trailer on the side somewhere, and then come back for just the TV axles.

3) The math:
The trailer axle is from the second one, with the slacked chains. The trailer tongue is the TV total with the slacked chains vs the TV by itself. The trailer total is the axle weight plus the tongue weight.

The gross combined weight is on the tickets from #1 and #2 above. This should be the same unless somebody got in or out of the tow vehicle (errors between these would tell you something about scale accuracy).

4) The thinking part:
-The first weighing series is reality for the way you are towing.
-Loads need to be managed.
-You don't want overloaded axles. Gross Axle Weight Ratings are on the driver side door placard and the trailer placard.
-You don't want an underloaded front axle, because that's where your steering and most of the TV braking happens.
-You can distribute loads by physically moving them, removing them, or with the WDH. The WDH is a recommendation for all and mandatory for most, but especially important for people towing with lighter tow vehicles where we always need to use our capacity well.
-One painless and easy way to reduce RV weight is to travel with empty tanks, filling FW only when you are close to where you are going and opening the FW drain valve and dumping the gray water soon after you leave the campsite.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #36
Mr. Jan Rooks

As a Dutch engineer, I will advise the other way. We have pulled our TM3023 with a 99 Toyota Sienna from Troy MI to Florida, Vt, Quebec and N. MI without problems. The van does have brake controller and Drawtite WDH. The TM3023 weighs 3300 lbs. Gas mileage 20 mpg w/o trailer 18 mpg with.

We now have a 2006 Sienna pulling a 3450 lb. regular trailer. Went to Florida; 24 mpg w/o and 12 - 14 with the trailer. Since towing is only a small part of the vans mileage, I am gentle on the acceleration and the brakes work well.

It is important to balance the van brakes with the trailers. We also carry the TV spare tire, tool box, lawn chairs in the van. The TV tanks are empty and only one 20 lb propane bottle.

Jan Rooks
Old 08-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #37
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jan Rooks View Post
As a Dutch engineer, I will advise the other way. We have pulled our TM3023 with a 99 Toyota Sienna from Troy MI to Florida, Vt, Quebec and N. MI without problems. The van does have brake controller and Drawtite WDH. The TM3023 weighs 3300 lbs. Gas mileage 20 mpg w/o trailer 18 mpg with.

We now have a 2006 Sienna pulling a 3450 lb. regular trailer. Went to Florida; 24 mpg w/o and 12 - 14 with the trailer. Since towing is only a small part of the vans mileage, I am gentle on the acceleration and the brakes work well.

It is important to balance the van brakes with the trailers. We also carry the TV spare tire, tool box, lawn chairs in the van. The TV tanks are empty and only one 20 lb propane bottle.

Jan Rooks
Your setup is very similar to mine!

I'm envious of your non-towing mpg That's quite a bit better than I've ever gotten but, meh, I love the TV!
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #38
M&M Hokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jan Rooks View Post

Jan Rooks
I am surprised by those weight numbers for the trailer. When I was towing my 2720 with my Sienna I really struggled to get things in the weight rating. (I concede I had two 6V batteries, two solar panels, and two propane tanks. I also typically needed to put 300 pounds of water in the trailer too. I ultimately removed the wardrobe and the two hanging cabinets from the TM and two middle seats from the Sienna to squeeze into the ratings. Even with those actions, I could still feel the trailer push the Sienna around when braking on rolling hills such as we have on Highway 1. I guess people can have different experiences with similar rigs. With all of the cabinets in the TM and it loaded for camping, I found that it weighed 4000-4100 pounds.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #39
PopBeavers

My 2005 TM 2720 weighs 3380 pounds on the single axle. I did not weigh the tongue. My guess is that the total weight of the TM is around 4,100 pounds.

My fuel mileage drops about 2 mpg. From 12 to 10.

My definition of a good TV is something capable of towing on forest roads with 6 or more inches of mud.

I wish they made ST tires that had a mud and snow tread pattern.

For what I do, I consider 10 mpg to be decent. Much better than a similar sized motor home.

The only part of my post that is useful to you is probably the first paragraph, confirming what others say, that a loaded TM 2720 weighs a little over 4,000 pounds.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #40
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Snip--

I wish they made ST tires that had a mud and snow tread pattern.

--Snip
PopBeavers, I am curious as to why that would make a difference since TM st tires are not drive wheels??

Tim