TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #11
M&M Hokie

Am I the only one who can't see the pictures? The apache server no likey me.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Hokie View Post
Am I the only one who can't see the pictures? The apache server no likey me.

SORRY my server has high security I had to do an adjustment.

Hm I guess this means no one could see any of the pics.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
Bluegrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post

From responses so far No Boaters here I guess? We are already planning some short distance camping trips with the Boat. We are a very active adventures family so the boat should fit right in with camping, Hiking, MTB etc.
Actually, there are quite a few boaters and former boaters on this forum. We had three at one time - a 36' powerboat, 19' runabout, and 9' sailing dinghy. That was a bit excessive but a lot of fun. We kept them all at a marina in the Sacramento delta. Had a boat lift very similar to yours for the runabout. We spent at least one or two weekends a month on the boats as well as the better part of the summer. I was working for myself at the time and with the wonders of cell phones and satellite technology, my clients never knew if I was working out of my office or on the stern of my boat. Great times.

As the kids got older we used the runabout less and less so we sold it and then three years ago when we moved to Utah, we sold the larger boat. It was hard to say goodbye but I don't miss the cleaning & waxing, haul-outs, blister repair, dry rot problems, electric issues, motor and outdrive servicing, slip fees, licenses, taxes, ad-infinitum. But it WAS a lot of fun. We still have the sailing dinghy (a Dyer Dhow) and use it on the reservoirs.

Congrats on your boat. Sounds like you got a good deal.

Keith
Old 10-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #14
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

I believe my original post wasn't showing correct because of the leech protection so maybe my post will make more since now LOL

Ours is a small EbbTide 21' BowRider with a 5.7L 350 V8 which is all we need for now with a first boat. My son is already planning on meeting Girls with the boat.

As for me I have always liked boating & think I will like being a boat owner also but only time will tell. We already clean all our other vehicles & the TM so one more isn't a big deal really.

2008 3023

Old 10-31-2010, 05:37 PM   #15
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post

From responses so far No Boaters here I guess? We are already planning some short distance camping trips with the Boat. We are a very active adventures family so the boat should fit right in with camping, Hiking, MTB etc.
We lived on a boat for 14 years and sailed it around the world twice. It all started out with a 22' Skipjack power boat that we used to take out fishing nearly every weekend. We decided that we want ed a bigger boat that we could actually live on because we loved it so much.

We ended up going with sail instead of power (Passport 45' Ketch), then realized that without the encumbrance of fuel costs, our range was virtually unlimited.

Now that I am in my 60's, I'm happy to have my land-yacht TrailManor.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #16
PopBeavers

My in laws had a ski boat. We used to do a lot of water skiing. We no longer have any interest because:

1. lakes in California near home have gotten too crowded, thus dangerous.

2. wake boarders like to churn up the water. It is hard for young children to water ski under those conditions.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #17
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

My son is one of those teens that is looking forward to wake boarding.

2008 3023

Old 11-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #18
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
1. lakes in California near home have gotten too crowded, thus dangerous.
This is the #1 reason we no longer boat in SoCal. We used to live and boat in Oregon, and it was fun and relaxing. We tried cruising around some of the harbors and lakes in SoCal, and it was stressful trying to stay out of other's way and not get hit. Not relaxing. Even parts of the Colorado River in Arizona are anarchy. So, the boat is in dry dock and we bought the TM to satisfy our outdoors appetite. But I am anxious to get the boat back out...a small Boston Whaler runabout.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #19
rumbleweed

Now all you need to do is to figure out where to mount the bike rack.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #20
Brutus

Billy, count me in as one of the "we're-still-boating" crowd. I was one of those upper Mississippi River rats that had a boat before I could drive a car, and have always had a boat (of some kind) ever since. Nice rig you got there. ...and dry docks are sooooo much easier than waiting for people who can't back up their trailer at the boat ramp! One word of advice, use Stabil in the gas tank if the gas won't get used up within 30 days. Gas does very bad things to motors when it sits too long, especially if it contains ethanol.

Here's a newsflash on the subject of boating: I bet I'm the only one on here who tows a boat behind our TM! It's a 16' jon boat with 25HP. At less than 500# (boat/motor/trailer), we haven't noticed any undo stress on the TM or TV. As an added bonus, we get better mileage in double-tow mode because we slow way down for safety (read sway) reasons. Had to rig up my own trailer wiring plug. Made a 7-prong input into TV that splits 7-prong for TM and a 4-flat for boat trailer. (Only used 6 prongs on TM because backup lights obviously become useless in DT mode.) Works well and entire 3-rig setup meets the double-tow laws where we run out here in CO/NE/KS. Someday we'll get a 14' car-topper V-bottom to eliminate double-towing, but for now this gets us out on the water...

Quick thoughts for the "Hey DW, he did it! I can do it too!" gang. 1. We can unhitch the boat and push it around ourselves if we get into a jam. Haven't had to (yet), but something to keep in mind. 2. Gas stations can get "interesting". I've had to use a 5 gal gas can to fill up the TV because I couldn't get near the pumps (at least not without getting myself in a jam). 3. Dealer said TM can take it, but who really knows? A 500# rig behind the TM is the max in my mind. Have to consider tongue weight and other stresses on TM. 4. DT laws vary by state (some states call it triple tow). Some don't allow double-towing. Others only allow DT behind a 5th wheel. 5. Double-tow gets the job done, but using a second car with its own hitch would be preferable. We just don't have that option at the moment...