TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > TrailManor Website Links
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-02-2002, 09:44 AM   #1

Default Modifying Non-Tow Vehicle to Tow

We found it! Our first Trailmanor--just two-and-one-half hours away! There is a "26" on the front of this 1988 unit. I am to bring it home in just two days.

Recently, I changed out the 305 engine in my 1984 short-bed Scottsdale Chevy p/u to a 350. Also had larger radiator and transmission cooler added. Anticipated the possibility of a fifth-wheel. I have not modified the rear end to change gear ratio.

Reference book at a local shop showed "standard" ratio for this truck. If anyone can guess what that is, please tell me.

Please also give me your opinion on towing this TM with this truck.

Thanks for letting me join up!
Old 10-02-2002, 10:27 AM   #2
Happytrails

Default Re: Modifying Non-Tow Vehicle to Tow

Your truck should have no problems at all towing the TM, I doubt it would have with the 305 as I tow my 1986 25 with a 4.3L Chevy Blazer. On that TM though, you had better check all the wood in it for rot! If it's been sitting for a long time, it might have the same problems as mine did. Also, check who made the appliences in it, in particularly the water heater and furnace. Mine are both made by companies that are no longer in business anymore and I cannot get any parts.....so if they go bad, then they have to be completely replaced. (Might bring that up when the issue of what you're going to pay for it comes up as well). If you're wondering what I'm talking about with the wood rot you can check my web page at: http://members.aol.com/br768 Be SURE to give it a VERY good lookover before you buy it!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails...........[/glow]
Old 10-02-2002, 11:51 AM   #3

Thanks, Happytrails.  My trail partner and I visited the TM last weekend.  We watched the put up and really looked it over inside.  I'm not a technical whiz by any means, but I opened the drawers and cabinet doors, even the lid under the sofa cushions.  I did not get the names of appliances; I'll ask when I call to complete plans to pick up the unit.

Ceiling looked fine, no circles or other recognizable signs of water damage.  Surfaces of wood cabinetry looked like new.  Upholstery looked like cleaning would restore to nice shape.  Carpet needs heavy cleaning or replacement, but we were told on the phone it was dirty.

Unit looks good on the outside.  We will be 3rd owners.
Present owner is an elderly gentleman with failing health.  He has already bought another trailer (Argosy)
to avoid put up/take down.  His son lives next door and is my contact.  For about 8-10 years, the TM has been sheltered.  

The son and son's wife seemed very forthcoming with us.  They wanted to know before we left how they had done with their phone description.  They had done quite well!

The son said his father waxed the TM maybe as much as twice.  It appeared to have a shine beneath a light cover of dust.

We checked electricity, especially the A/C.  The wall unit seems to do well.  We did NOT check water incoming and drain.  Will plan to do that at pick up.

Forgot to ask before--will I be safe with this unit on a bumper ball only? I understand I will get anti sway
rod(s?) but was told the father said he did not need equalizer equip.  I do not have a trailer hitch on tow p/u right now.

Thanks for all your listening and responding TO HELP ME have happy trails!  
Old 10-03-2002, 09:33 AM   #4
Happytrails

Going to move this thread Trailmanors if ya don't mind to General Discussion, you will find my response there........(This subject is reserved for Web sites).

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........[/glow]