TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
SCBillandJane

Default Water leak when hooked up to city water.

The water is dripping from the upper edge of the grey water tank where it connects to the floor. Location: front side near the drain valves behind the driver's side wheel. When I disconnect from city water the drip slows, but does not stop completely. We have almost no water in the grey tank since we just hooked up. There are no signs of any leaks inside the trailer. The sensor for the holding tanks indicates that it is empty, but the sensor shows the fresh water tank is full when it has not been filled at all. The drip is not present when we are not hooked up to city water. Help? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

The area you describe (near the gray water holding tank) is also the location for the plumbing leading to the indoor shower controls. You could have a city water leak in one of the lines leading to shower faucet. Do you have an outdoor shower? There could be a leak along those lines, as they feed off the lines going to the indoor shower controls.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
SCBillandJane

Thank you for your help Jeri and Dick. I opened and removed the shower box. Some part was leaking. Rather than mess with something we don't use, I chose to plug the supply line with brass pipe plugs. In an effort to help others on the road that need a quick fix, the plug can be purchased from Home Depot. The part was Watts number A-823 Pipe Plug, 1/2" MIP. We can now have inside water without dripping all over the camp ground. This will make it easier to continue our trip to Alaska.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Bill and Jane,

Glad I was able to help. Was the leak in the outside shower? Is that the box you referred to? Good to know about the pipe plug quick fix.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #5
Al-n-Sue

Default We had a similar leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBillandJane View Post
The water is dripping from the upper edge of the grey water tank where it connects to the floor. Location: front side near the drain valves behind the driver's side wheel.
Bill and Jane - we had a similar leak when we got our 2003 3124. Our friends with a 2006 3124 also had a similar problem so I had a hunch where the problem was. I determined that the leak was coming from the shower faucet connections. When I removed the box, I could see the leak around the connector and could also see a warn spot on the outside wall right behind the faucet. Because the PEX type pipe was so stiff I did not try to fix it myself. Turns out (and my friend's problem was the same) the faucet connectors are too long and they rub against the inside wall. After a while, the connector gets a small hairline crack, and starts leaking. My friend, since he was out of warranty, had a local "RV fixit" guy fix it. His fix was to place a wood spacer in front of the faucet box to move the fitting away from the wall. My fix, since I had just bought mine from the dealer, was under warranty. The dealer installed a new faucet which included shorter connectors. He also replace the very stiff PEX type pipe with a more flexible and longer tubing, making it much easier in the future to perform maintenance.
If yours still has the original PEX pipe, it has a crimped fitting that requires a special tool to remove and install.
Hope this helps. Good luck on your trip to Alaska!!
Alan
Old 07-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #6
larsdennert

Samme problem here. My outside shower is dangling in there because the fittings are too long to mount it. I did manage to stop it from leaking.