TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
jack & cindy hamilton

Default alaska

next year we plan to go to alaska. we live in central pa. and are thinking it might be nice to go via canada.

don't know much about alaska at all. hoping to leave for there mid may and spend 2 to 3 months.

is that a good time? where do we start - it's soooo big.

thanks in advance

jack
Old 10-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
Factor

Default Alaska

Several people on the Hi-Lo forum have taken their Hi-Lo to Alaska. If you e-mail me your e-mail address privately to [email protected], I'll post a messasge and have them reply to you.
John
Former 3023 owner
2505C Hi-Lo
2006 Silverado 5.3
Old 12-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #3
Geoffrey Card

Default Alaska

Last summer we spent two+ months travelling from Chaska Minnesota to Alaska and back, we covered nearly 9,400 miles. For the trip we travelled with our Toyota Highlander and TM2619 plus WDH etc. Before the trip I fully serviced the TM including the wheel bearings and brakes plus fitting new tires and battery. During the trip I checked the TM regularly and greased the wheel bearings in Alaska before the trip home (also had the oil changed in the Highlander). We had a fantastic time and no problems. The Highlander averaged 18.1 mpg for the complete distance. Gas on the Alaska Highway was expensive in some remote areas at $4.50 per gallon(take a calculator as gas is in liters).
The best time for Alaska is June, July and August, although late May and early September are OK. The only land route is via Canada and up the Alaska Highway which starts at Dawson Creek and runs nearly 1,500 miles up to Delta Junction. Take your passport!
You could travel via Edmonton but the most scenic route is Calgary, Banff, Lake Louis, Jasper and on to Dawson Creek (great RV site on north side of town). Purchase a copy of 'The Milepost' which is up-dated each year - this will detail your route plus camp sites etc. You do not need to make reservations on the AH but do fill up at each gas pump as they are sometimes far apart. Also take some food as settlements are far apart.
Alaska is divided into two main areas that can be accessed by road. Take the road from Whitehorse to Skagway (H2-98 miles) which is spectacular scenery and stay a few days in Skagway. Take a trip on the Klondike railroad and a day boat trip to Juneau (capital of Alaska). The City RV site at the back of Skagway is the best as it is sheltered from the wind.
Drive to the end of the Alask Highway and then up to Fairbanks and then head for Anchorage via Denali National Park. A great place to stay is at Talkeetna. From Anchorage you can head south and explore the Kenai Peninsula.The organized RV sites are usually very good but it is also fun to stay in the state parks.
Have a great time and if you have specific questions send me a message.
Geoff Card
Old 01-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
Kentwesley

Default alaska

I think Geoff pretty much covered it. I lived in Fairbanks for 4 years and travelled through the Alaska Highway twice. It is fantastic! Just take your time. It is a long trip. If you get too focused on getting to the finish line, you'll miss out on all the fun. Mile Post is a definite must have...it is the Alaska Highway Bible. If there is one place that I recommend along the way, it is the Liard River Hotsprings.

Some recommendations:

Take plenty of bug juice. not those wimpy ones with 2-5% Deet. The mosquitos on Alaska Highway and in Alaska drink those for breakfast. Deep Woods Off will have some effect...I recommend something stronger used by hunters. Taking a mosquito net or mosquito proof clothing might not be a bad idea.

Install black out curtains on your RV. During the summer months in Fairbanks, you'll typically get about 20 hours of sunlight. The remaining 4 are not dark...just "duskish" You may not notice at first but you'll start getting up more and more tired everyday. Your body will not be able to fall into real deep REM sleep with all the light.

After making it to Fairbanks, I recommend that you go down south to Anchorage, Seward, Kenai (the really beautiful places in Alaska IMO). Don't forget to stop by Denali National Park.

Alaska Highway is worth doing ONCE. I would not drive back on it. Take the ferry to Seattle. It's like going on a cruise. You have to make reservations during the Summer months.

Be ready for snow. It's snowed during a July 4th picnic before.

It is an awesome trip. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:31 AM   #5
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Jack,

Here are two sites you might find helpful:

http://mytripjournal.com/BinkleyAlaska2007

http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/JerrySuzy

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
2 Trails

Hi,
We are also thinking about going to Alaska in 2009
Leaving from FL via Mobile AL to Phoenix to see my daughter get her bacholers degree, then will be leaving from Phoenix, toward Seattle, probably the first week of June, depends on when she graduates.
Let us know if the dates are comperable with yours. We could pass each on the road
Jim & Darlene [email protected]
Old 07-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
agesilaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack & cindy hamilton View Post
next year we plan to go to alaska. we live in central pa. and are thinking it might be nice to go via canada.

don't know much about alaska at all. hoping to leave for there mid may and spend 2 to 3 months
Ron Dalby is writing a blog on rv.net about driving up to Alaska, you may want to look at it:

http://blog.rv.net/2008/07/22/north-...-dawson-creek/

There are some books out too on RVing up. Check Amazon.

BK
Old 07-26-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
agesilaus

One other thing, be ready for a lot of rain. Like just about every day from what I hear. Summer is rainy season up there. They've been having a cold and rainy summer season up there this year. Maybe next year will be better.