TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
Geoffrey Card

Smile Back from Alaska

I would like to correct the record on a few comments that I have read on this site during the past two years.

Firstly, the Toyota Highlander is suitable for towing a TM 2619. Our 05 Highlander is the V6 model and came complete with the towing package and I use a WDH for all journeys. During the past 18 months my wife and I have completed several long trips with our TM from our Minnesota home, including one last year of 3,500 miles + to Colorado and New Mexico and we have just returned from a two month 9,300 mile adventure to Alaska. We have driven of smooth highways, gravel surfaces and miles of frost damaged surface on the Alaska Highway. Our TM weight ready for the road is a little under 2800lbs and we normally cruise at 60-65mph seldom dropping below 50mph on long climbs. You do not require a V8 gas guzzler to tackle long road trips with a TM2619 and I would imagine a 2720. The Highlander pulls the load very easily provided you disengage the cruise for hilly terrane and keep the engine in a rev range of 3,000-4,500 rpms. I have never, even on hot long climbs had the temperature gauge move from its normal position. On our trip to Alaska we averaged a little over 18 miles per US gallon.

Secondly, with a little care and preparation you can tow your TM to Alaska, which involves travelling the 1,400 + mile Alaska Highway (the ALCAN), without fear of 'trashing' either your TM or tow vehicle. Before departing for Alaska I fully serviced our 02 Trailmanor including the wheel bearings and brakes and also installed new tires and battery. I took the precaution of wiring any loose cables and securely bolting the battery box to the chassis cross member. The only mishap we experienced was a cracked windshield caused by flying rocks from passing trucks and a few paint chips. When we arrived in Anchorage a visit was made to the Toyota dealers and the oil in the Highlander was changed. Additionally, periodically I checked the rig for loose scews and greased the wheel bearings using the pressure grease gun that I carry in the tool kit.

We had a fantastic time on our adventure to Alaska and only once saw another TM. If any TM owners would like more information on visiting Alaska I would be delighted to try and answer their questions.

Geoffrey and Lynda Card
Chaska, Minnesota
05 Toyota Highlader V6 AWD with tow package
02 Trailmanor 2619 with WDH
Old 08-20-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Geoffrey Card

Red face Back from Alaska

I was interestd in your comments so I checked my records. The 2800lb weight I quoted was slightly inaccurate in the that the actual ticket from the scales states 2880lbs. Another explanation is that the TM was attached to the Highlander which was not on the scales but the WDH was attached as I wanted to get a real world weight for the TM in full towing specification. We do have an air conditioner plus two full propane bottles plus awning etc, the only exception to your list is the hanging cupboard. This only goes to show how effective the WDH is at distributing the load and reducing the stress on the tow vehicle.
Hope this helps to clarify.
Geoff Card
Old 08-20-2007, 06:00 PM   #3
ameridan

Red face Thank you for posting!!!

I've been one of the purveyors of doubt regarding the Highlander's towing abilities in the mountains, so it is fantastic hearing first hand someone's account to the contrary. I have to admit that these doubts have served nicely as an excuse to keep my wife from planning trips all over the place, and I know that once I show her this posting, she'll be googling destinations out west.

Again, we thank you for sharing your experiences. I just rented a 8 X 12 enclosed all-steel utility trailer yesterday to haul bedroom furniture up to my daughters apartment for her senior year in college (and she filled it up right to the rear doors), and I was pleasantly surprised at the Highlander's performance; as expected though, the acceleration was impacted.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:05 PM   #4
ameridan

Default Texas Camper

Quote:
The WDH actually distributes 1/3 of the tongue weight to the TM axle.
Did you mean TV axle?
Old 08-21-2007, 07:30 AM   #5
EMPTYNESTERS

Default Highlander

Thanks for the info. We tow our 2720SD with our 2005 Highlander (and WDH)and we think it tows great! (Thanks again, Ameridan, for your input when we were making our decision!) Alaska's our dream trip, but I think we'll get a bigger tow vehicle before we tackle that trip!
Old 08-21-2007, 08:53 AM   #6
Geoffrey Card

Default Back from Alaska

Replying to Leon's comment. The one thing that our journey underlined is that you do not require a larger tow vehicle than a Highlander for a trip to Alaska particulrly if you only have two people on board (we had 3 for part of our journrey as our son flew up to Anchorage and joined us for two weeks). The majority of the Alaska Highway is fairly level the only real exception is Summit Pass which is a less severe gradient than most Colorado climbs. The road up from Skagway to Whitehorse (a must see for any trip) is the most severe challenge that we found and this is long (8 miles) rather than steep and the Toyota took this with ease and without any indication of water temperature increase.

Frost damaged roads rather than steep climbs are the main hazard on a trip to Alaska. You can maintain 60-65mph on a lot of the Alaska Highway but you will be restricted to more like 45mph and slower on some stretches and on many other Yukon and Alaska roads due to the seasonal frost heave. The worst stretch is north of Haines Junction in particular the 200 miles south of the Alaska border. The object of this journey anyway is not speed but the enjoyment of the wild scenery and chance of viewing wildlife i.e moose, forest buffalo, bear, wolves etc.

My recommendation, go for it and have the journey of a life time! I would strongly suggest that you take the route from Calgary to Banff and up the Icefields Highway To Jasper and then on to Dawson Creek which is the beginning of the Alaska Highway. This is a much more enjoyable route than going via Edmonton. The road betwen Banff and Jasper is one of the most spectacular in North America (wait for a clear day to travel on it).

Another important point, when driving on the Alaska Highway do not let your gas tank get too low and top up at every opportunity. I tried not to let the tank fall below half full as some of the distances between gas pumps can be long. Also expect to pay more for gas on the highway in British Columbia and the Yukon. We paid on average between $4.30 and $4.96 per US gallon at current exchange rates.
Good luck,
Geoff Card
Old 09-19-2007, 08:41 PM   #7
Bookworm

Geoffrey,
I am glad to see you had a successful trip to Alaska. We plan to make the trip next summer from our TX home. What temperature range did you encounter during your trek? Did you come across those black flies I keep hearing about?
We came across some pretty steep climbs during our voyage up the Eastern seaboard and back down the Blue Ridge Parkway this summer so I'm glad to hear that you didn't find anything too difficult.
Thanks so much for tips on gasoline fillups!
Barbara
Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:05 AM   #8
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
Geoffrey,
We came across some pretty steep climbs during our voyage up the Eastern seaboard and back down the Blue Ridge Parkway this summer so I'm glad to hear that you didn't find anything too difficult.
Barbara

Amen Sister, Amen,

We live at the base of the Blue Ridge, and we do a lot of our camping on the Skiline Drive, and also the National Forest areas in the Alleghanies. These hills can make your gas gauge move faster than your speedometer.

Chap
Old 09-21-2007, 11:53 PM   #9
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb Yeah, Highlander has adequate POWER. But that's not the problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Card View Post
I would like to correct the record on a few comments that I have read on this site during the past two years.

Firstly, the Toyota Highlander is suitable for towing a TM 2619.... Our TM weight ready for the road is a little under 2800lbs and we normally cruise at 60-65mph seldom dropping below 50mph on long climbs. You do not require a V8 gas guzzler to tackle long road trips with a TM2619 and I would imagine a 2720. The Highlander pulls the load very easily provided you disengage the cruise for hilly terrane and keep the engine in a rev range of 3,000-4,500 rpms.
My complaint isn't with the drivetrain, it's with the WHEELBASE and the TRACK. Yeah, I'm chicken. I'd rather be a living chicken than a dead duck. Others (such as, you, I think) know what they're doing and make a reasonable choice to live with somewhat more danger. Still others are clueless, and have no idea what I'm talking about. Feel free to offer your opinion and experience, but the phrase "correct the record" doesn't seem fair for disagreeing with MY opinion, knowledge, and experience.

BTW, my current 4Runner is also a "mere" V6, we have that in common.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:37 AM   #10
Geoffrey Card

Default Alaska

I have sent you a detailed reply to your private box.
Geoff Card