TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2003, 08:47 AM   #1
2619PDX

Default Interior leak - Need help!

I need some help with this one. It seems that my 01 model 2619 has developed a leak at the window closest to the front bed, off the dinette.

Now for the really odd part. the leak only happens when the unit is CLOSED, so that to date, only the valance and one half of the curtain get wet. This affects only the front half (upper) of the trailer.

The trailer has been parked in the street in front of my house all winter. I had the unit open about a month ago to show to someone looking at TM's.

The unit IS NOT level, and the street slopes slightly toward the house.

The question I have is this. Is it POSSIBLE that because the unit is not level, water could be somehow bypassing the inner roof seal and then draining down the inside of the unit - thus soaking the curtain and valance?

Or, do I have a dreaded roof leak??

And, why is the leak apparant only when the unit is closed? This is wierd.

Anyone else have this problem or similar ones? If so, how did you handle?

Thanks for your help guys!

Gregg in Portland!
Old 05-21-2003, 09:12 AM   #2
arknoah

Default Re: Interior leak - Need help!

I wonder if water could have splashed up onto the curtains from the street?
Old 05-21-2003, 09:20 AM   #3
2619PDX

Good thought, but no. It was dry here over the weekend and it dried out. Yesterday, I washed it before going to Camping World, and there it was again, same spot, wet curtain and all.

Gregg

Old 05-21-2003, 02:35 PM   #4
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Gregg,

I just fixed a leak in my front shell. I noticed it after I took off the cover, and it had been sitting there without a tarp over it. I took down the lens from the front right ceiling light, and it was half full of water. I emptied it and it kept doing it since we have had a lot of rain. I thought that it might be from the vent and following the wires to the light or from the strip on the roof.

I called the factory, and I talked to Donny. He said it was from the strip on the roof or the vent. He told me to buy a tube of 100% silicone that is used for the outdoors. I found some that was the top of the brand and used it in my caulking gun. I ran a strip along both sides of the strip on the roof and also between the vent and the beginning of the strip. There is about 2 inches where the strip does not cover it. The next day, I washed the trailer, and I had a dry ceiling light. I guess I was right about my problem.

Try doing what I did to the front shell. Also, if you have an awning, try caulking around the top of it where it attaches to the trailer. I had the same problem with our 1993 unit. The water was entering where the awning attached to the trailer.

The silicone that I bought was the clear kind so it looks a lot better. It' s not supposed to crack. Just find a top quality silicone to use.

Give it a try.

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 03:36 PM   #5
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Gregg,

I just fixed a leak in my front shell. I noticed it after I took off the cover, and it had been sitting there without a tarp over it. I took down the lens from the front right ceiling light, and it was half full of water. I emptied it and it kept doing it since we have had a lot of rain. I thought that it might be from the vent and following the wires to the light or from the strip on the roof.

I called the factory, and I talked to Donny. He said it was from the strip on the roof or the vent. He told me to buy a tube of 100% silicone that is used for the outdoors. I found some that was the top of the brand and used it in my caulking gun. I ran a strip along both sides of the strip on the roof and also between the vent and the beginning of the strip. There is about 2 inches where the strip does not cover it. The next day, I washed the trailer, and I had a dry ceiling light. I guess I was right about my problem.

Try doing what I did to the front shell. Also, if you have an awning, try caulking around the top of it where it attaches to the trailer. I had the same problem with our 1993 unit. The water was entering where the awning attached to the trailer.

The silicone that I bought was the clear kind so it looks a lot better. It' s not supposed to crack. Just find a top quality silicone to use.

Give it a try.

Bob Strong

How interesting, as I had stated earlier this week, I just picked mine up from the dealer after having a roof leak repaired...the guy told me that he had only seen this one other time where the seam seal failed...hmmmmmmm.
He did the same as Bob did, (Factory recommendation) with a bead on each side of the strip...I bought a tube of caulk and I will repeat the process on the rear half. I bought a tube of special "Marine grade silicone", at the local home improvement store...the regular GE Silicone II is $5.99 a tube, but this stuff is $12.99 a tube! I wanted this stuff mainly because I KNOW that it is made for use where the seam will flex, and it will hold up to some pretty harsh conditions.

Gregg, I suggest that you start by doing that on the front half seam and see it it doesn't stop your leak as well, the only other place could be at the edge seam between the roof and side wall, check all that caulk as well.

Good luck and let us know what works!

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 03:26 AM   #6
2619PDX

Thanks, Guys. good advice. interesting thing. We all seem to have common problems with these units. ever notice that?

Yes, I'll calk BOTH side seams AND at the awning. Especially since the leak is on the AWNING side.

Am going camping with it this weekend. Will buy the calk and have to do it when we get back.  BTW - The guys at Camping World said NOT to use silicone for the roof as it doesn't work as well up there. their feeling is it gets to hot and the silicone tends to "harden up" more than it should...

I'm going to call them and find out what they use and I'll post it!

Thanks again!
Old 05-22-2003, 04:51 AM   #7
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

I did not want to post a comment about roof leaks before I got my 2720 back from the factory. The fact that several of you are having the same problem requires that I tell the tale.

The Trailmanor:
2002 - 2720SL, build date Dec. 2001, purchase date Sept. 2002.

The Leaks:
Water all along the center seam wiring channel on the front shell - water dripping in front of wall clock and water in the smoke detector.
All windows but one, water leaking out of the screws holding the bottom curtain track to the wall.
Several windows leaking water at the top of the glass inside of the frame.
Water comming in at the top of the panel board over the window in front of the wardrobe.
Heavy condensation along the bottom 4 inches of both the front and back top shells.
Both shells hard to pull up and will slam down when closing (4 inches of water trapped in walls causing extra weight and condensation).
Water dripping from Fantastic Fan vent.

The aluminum skin delaminated from the ceiling in front of the center vent.

Dealer comment. "New Trailmanors just don't leak". I think he was telling the truth as he knew it. He called the factory and was told to check the center seam of the roof panels. He found little or no adhesive and no caulking/sealer was used to assemble the panels. The dealer reglued and sealed the center seams and I was going to pick up the trailor, but when I arrived at the dealers it was raining cats and dogs. Center seam is not leaking but water is comming in at the windows.

The trailor went back to the factory to find and seal the rest of the leaks and repair the delamination. When it arrived back at the dealer, the ceiling had started to delaminate again and there were water leaks at a couple of windows. The dealer found the leaks. They were some unused screw holes under the plastic filler strip in the roof to wall connector strip. Two dealer tries to repair the delamination failed to fix the problem.

I used the trailer as is for two trips in May and it is now back at the factory having a new roof put on. I will post more after it is back and I have a chance to go camping in the rain.

All of this has been handled under warrenty including the transportation between the dealer and the factory. The statement from the factory is: "we want the unit to be correct as advertised". I think they are doing every thing they can to fix the problems. I hope this is the only one with this problem, but I'm beginning to doubt It. :-/
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 05:05 AM   #8
2619PDX

OH MY! You DO have a problem. As I said, Mine only leaks when down, and only at the single spot.

I have no water leaking from light fixtures or windows or in the cabinet area or fans. Other than the usual condensation, I have nothing that drastic.

My lord, I'd almost think TM would give you a new unit after all of that!

I'm going to seal every seam on my roof again, and will be thankful that that is all I had to do. I hate to say this, and don't take this the wrong way, but you've made me feel better. Yes, i have a leak, but it's minor by comparison!!!

Keep us posted.

Best,
Old 05-22-2003, 05:08 AM   #9
2619PDX

Bob & Larry:
Next question - Did you guys have to clean off the roof or do any speacial preparations before sealing?

Next - Did you just seal right over the plastic seam tape covering - right on the edges?

Wade - Did you recaulk your roof?
Old 05-22-2003, 05:47 AM   #10
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Seal the edges of the metal seam covering. The soft plastic center is a decorative strip used to cover any hardware (screws, etc.) used to assemble the seam. The center seam is glued together, no screws. The 2 last window leaks found on my trailer were under this strip. You might want to pull the strip out and check underneath for the same problem, unused open screw holes. The filler strip is just a press fit in the metal seam covering.

MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote