TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-01-2003, 11:22 PM   #1
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Default Spice container/ 6 compartments in 1 for $3

Still trying to outfit the TM with what we will need...

I was rummaging through the cabinets the other day and found a perfect container to keep 6 different spices in, about 3" high by 2.5" diameter. It originally contained 6 different "party sprinkles", found in the icing/cake section of the grocery store. You can remove the label, sort of wiggle/pry off the lid, clean it out, and fill it with what ever kind of spices you want (6 different ones with six different lids). After I pried off the lid and put it on and off a few times, it was pretty easy to get on and off without prying, just wiggling. Very compact! Check it out next time you go to the grocery store. I used kerosene to get the gummy stuff off that the label leaves behind. Works for gum, too.

B_and_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 07:06 AM   #2
efelker

Default Re:Spice container/ 6 compartments in 1 for $3

B_D:

Great idea. I've seen these sprinkle containers in the commissary & never thought of using them like you did. By the way, WD-40 is also great for removing the ubiquitous sticky gum from lables.

Ed
Old 10-02-2003, 05:12 PM   #3
Happytrails

B and D, they sell 6 spice containers with the spices already in them labeled and all at wally world for about 7 bucks. I had wanted one for the longest time knowing they existed, but never could find one till I happened to stumble across one at Wally World......tho I think Camping World sells them as well, actually, just found this little tidbit real quick, seems like a really good deal to!

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...H&tcode=37

Efelker, interesting you should mention WD 40, my dad was telling us at work the other day that "WD40" is actually the military nomenclature, that carried over to the civilian market when it found it's nitch. It was originally designed as a SOLVENT, and was used in military ignition systems to dry the points off. The "WD" actually stands for "Wet Dry" or "Water Dry"..........At least that is what someone said on his bluebird discussion group which is very similar to this one. Thought you guys might like that little tidbit, so passing it along. If someone knows more, please fess up!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........[/glow]
Old 10-02-2003, 07:29 PM   #4
efelker

Happy:

The name is really a symbol for "stick-to-itness." In 1953 the Rocket CHemical Company in San Diego was trying to formulate a rust prevention solvent. Each attempt failed -- until the 40th try. The formula inhibited rust by displacing water. Convair Acft became the first to use it by smearing it on the skin of Atlas Missiles.

http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html

... my contrubution to today's trivia.

Ed
Old 10-02-2003, 10:05 PM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Those spice sets from Camping World look really cool! We are kind of out of the big city here, have a KMart but no Camping World or Wally World so I am sort of shopping challenged. I never would have thought that Camping World would have something like that. Will have to spend some time browsing that site.

Thank goodness for the internet. When I do get time to shop in Salinas at the WalMart I am always in such a hurry that I don't have time to go up and down the aisles in a leisurely fashion (especially if the H is with me). We went there on Sunday and it was so crowded, couldn't hardly move around, kids crying, people standing around with carts in the aisles, just bought some recycling bins and got out of there as fast as we could (plus we had to pick up our Aunt from Amtrak). Train was late, as usual. BTW, if anyone likes the train, they have a "railsale" going on most of the time, if you check their website there are unbelievably cheap fares right now. Like Seattle to LA, for $47 one way. It is at the lower left of the main page. Also applies to destinations along the way. We took the family to Santa Barbara last November and spent the night, kids can't wait to go again. But count on the train being 6 hours late, just to be safe.

Are those spice containers from Camping World the same size as the party sprinkle containers (3" high by 2 1/2" in diameter)?

Interesting discussion about the WD-40 name origin. I learned 3 new things today!

Thanks.

Old 10-03-2003, 05:20 PM   #6
Happytrails

B&D, thought you'd like that......lol, like I said, I had been looking for one for FOREVER before I finally found one, then did a quick search on camping world for the heck of it while I was responding to ya, and came up with that! Can't beat that, BBQ spices, Gourmet spices, as well as one similar to the one I have with the usual staple spices........and all under 9 bucks, WITH a rack!

Ed, interesting..........I was curious about that......"why was a product simply called "WD40"?

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]
Old 10-03-2003, 10:30 PM   #7
Pirkups

How about using an "edible" to remove the sticky stuff left by labels instead of yukky kerosene? I find that rubbing peanut butter on the spot and a little elbow grease works great! Also vegetable oil will work.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:00 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

[quote author=efelker link=board=7;threadid=1383;start=msg9820#msg9820 date=1065144542]The name is really a symbol for "stick-to-itness." In 1953 the Rocket Chemical Company in San Diego was trying to formulate a rust prevention solvent. Each attempt failed -- until the 40th try. The formula inhibited rust by displacing water. Convair Acft became the first to use it by smearing it on the skin of Atlas Missiles.

http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html

... my contrubution to today's trivia.

Ed
[/quote]Interesting, Ed -

Among people who restore old radios (my hobby), WD-40 is occasionally suggested as a lubricant for some mechanism like a tuning control or a volume knob. For those purposes, the universal answer is "No, don't use WD-40, you'll come to regret it!" The reasons? As you point out, WD-40's primary purpose is to get water out of places where it doesn't belong - "WD" = "Water Displacement". Few radios suffer from water infiltration.

Beyond that, though, once the water is displaced, the volatile part of WD-40 evaporates, leaving a sticky residue. This is what you describe as "stick-to-itness." This sticky coating prevents more water from getting into the area, of course, but it is not a lubricant, as many people think. And if you have a delicate mechanism of any kind, the stickiness is a real drawback. Don't lube your watch with WD-40, for example! Or your door lock, or your computer fan, TV tuner, etc. If you must displace water from one of these, use WD-40, but then follow it up with a solvent to get the residue out, and then a light oil.

More contribution to the trivia list ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 11:56 AM   #9
bonzaibeaver

I always use bug and tar remover to clean up the sticky residue left after removing labels.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:46 PM   #10
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Bonzai - where do you purchase this bug and tar remover? What's it made out of?

Kerosene is always handy for us because we always have some on hand for the coleman lantern. Also use it to take black heel marks off the linoleum.