TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You have probably seen this thread
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6620
The measurements and photos were taken when I had my 2002 2720SL. It had 14-inch tires, no lift kit, and an old-style (tall) air conditioner. It fit below the 83-1/2 inch height of the garage door header, but not with much to spare.

My present TM (2006 2720SL) has 15-inch tires, a lift, and the low-profile air conditioner that TM has been using. It fits the same garage with plenty to spare.

If you feel you are going to be close on height, visit this thread discussing how to adjust the garage door height.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=5571

As for the swing tongue, mine seems to subtract about 23 inches from the overall length.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcycleguy View Post
I would not have any problems loaning my TM to family members as long as they had the proper tow vehicle, hitch, etc.
I was assuming that the family members would borrow not only the TM, but the tow vehicle as well - the whole rig, in other words. I'm thinking it is unlikely that they will have a proper tow vehicle including brake controller, mirrors, 7-pin connector, and so forth, unless they also have a trailer already. And in that case, they don't need my TM.

If they have a complete towing setup, maybe the answer is different, but I'm still not sure. I love my brother, and he is a good and careful guy, but ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #13
CrazyCampers

The garage door frame seems to be the issue as the door does move up out of the way. We measured it this weekend and got 82". (I can remeasure to be sure.) Assuming 67.25(trailer height)+14.25(A/C)=81.5", that seems close, assuming standard tires. Is the electric tongue jack the factory lift you mention? Does that also add height?

Thank you for the input!
Old 08-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #14
CrazyCampers

Although our family members are actually very responsible, we are a bit hesitant about promising to loan it out until we were experienced with the whole process and knew what to look out for. We would also require them to use our TV as well. It is an awfully big investment though so we will have to see how we feel a year or two from now on that.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #15
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I was assuming that the family members would borrow not only the TM, but the tow vehicle as well - the whole rig, in other words. I'm thinking it is unlikely that they will have a proper tow vehicle including brake controller, mirrors, 7-pin connector, and so forth, unless they also have a trailer already. And in that case, they don't need my TM.

If they have a complete towing setup, maybe the answer is different, but I'm still not sure. I love my brother, and he is a good and careful guy, but ...

Bill
I'm thinking of my son and my sister. Both have asked about using my TM. Both have capable trucks with proper hitch. I've advised both that if they get a brake controller and 7 way plug, come get it. Its stored off site and needs to get out of the storage lot more than I can do myself during the year. If not for the HOA, it would be in front of my house as a man cave...

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #16
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCampers View Post
Although our family members are actually very responsible, we are a bit hesitant about promising to loan it out until we were experienced with the whole process and knew what to look out for. We would also require them to use our TV as well. It is an awfully big investment though so we will have to see how we feel a year or two from now on that.
We gifted our daughter and son the down payment for their houses. The used value of my TM and TV is much less than that.

They have been camping with us more than a dozen times so they are very familiar with setup and tear down.

They both almost make more money than I do.

They are welcome to borrow it any time.

Anyone else, forget it.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #17
PopBeavers

I have a standard 7 foot door. I replaced the single piece door with a roll up door. The roof a/c has 1/4 inch clearance. This is with a lift kit and 14 inch wheels.

It is possible to temporarily lower the height of the TM be letting air out of the tires, but I would find that to be very annoying.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #18
PopBeavers

That's the one.

I tried to be very unbiased when I wrote it. I wrote it to encourage people to consider all of the factors that go into a TV purchase. Some are not obvious to a casual observer.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #19
moaboy

I have used a six cylinder Honda Odyssey and Toyota Venza to pull my 2720.
Both work just fine. The Venza is awd. And TrailManor ran their gas test using a Honda Odyssey.
So some of us would suggest you have a good range of TV depending on loads, mountains, use etc to choose from.

And I agree, I'd squeeze in the 2720 if you can.

Good luck.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #20
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
I have used a six cylinder Honda Odyssey and Toyota Venza to pull my 2720.
Both work just fine. The Venza is awd. And TrailManor ran their gas test using a Honda Odyssey.
So some of us would suggest you have a good range of TV depending on loads, mountains, use etc to choose from.

And I agree, I'd squeeze in the 2720 if you can.

Good luck.
Understand the possible limits of your destinations.

Sonora Pass, in California, is 9,624 feet at the summit.

The highway over the pass is extremely steep (up to 26% in some locations), narrow and winding between Kennedy Meadows on the west side and Leavitt Meadows on the east. The route is not recommended for vehicles or vehicle combinations that are unusually wide, heavy or long.

I intend to tow my 2720 over the pass in both directions in a few weeks. I will ignore the sign that says:

NOT ADVISABLE TO TOW TRAILERS BEYOND THIS POINT

I am not concerned about this route. I have a V8 and I also have low range. I will have to use some care in the 180 degree turns.

On this road, they did not waste taxpayer money on paint for a center line. It is paved though.

You probably won't go where I go.