TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
OscarF
Site Sponsor

Question 1998 3124KS Fixer-Upper

Hi All

First time poster here. I have browsed in the past as a guest and you folks seem to have a wealth of knowledge. I am trying to decide if I should run away or jump in with both feet on a TM project opportunity. I am handy with most everything like electrical, plumbing, or whatever else needs done around the house. Familiar with most things automotive too. But I have never delved into the travel trailer world.

I have been dreaming of owning a TM for some time and today someone just up the road put a '98 3124 KS up for sale asking $2900. As far as I can tell they are not hiding anything and are being very up front about the condition.
These are some of the items listed in their flier:

Needs some new electrical and plumbing
Front lift mechanism needs repair. This is why the door does not close.
Unable to check furnace and stove due to LP lines and tanks needing replacing.
Refrigerated cooled down, but unsure cooled to correct temp.

It is overall pretty clean and I didn't see any water damage. The front lift mechanism does concern me. I noted a good size air gap on the lower right side of the front slide. I see all the LP lines run underneath, so that doesn't look too tough to repair/replace. How involved is running wires and repairing the plumbing?
What else should I look at and does $2900 sound like a crazy asking price?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Oscar F.
OscarF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Redhawk

Hi Oscar, That sounds like quite a project. $ can add up fast if you're replacing refrigerators and such. What about batteries, A/C and tires? If you want a project ....go for it, but if it were me, I'd add the money you'd be spending for repairs with the purchase price and look for one that needs less work. But that's me. If you join the forum, you'll find a lot of info on the lift mechanism. Something I know nothing about.

Is there a TM dealer close by that can maybe inspect the TM and give you some idea of what you have to deal with on the lift? Good Luck!!!
Old 08-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

I consider an older model, then finally decided to go for one that was in pretty good shape that I could start using right away. It took over two years for me to find the perfect one to meet my family's needs. We lucked out and ended up with a 2006 for a pretty good deal. But we still needed to do some work (leaky tub faucet, wiring, battery, LP hoses). We also decided to do some mods, but since I had a good idea of what I wanted to do (lift kit, 15" tires) I had a good idea of what to expect. Now I'm adding a batter cut off switch, going to add sliding shelves and going to go to a different battery set up (dual 6 volt marine batteries in the future). It seems once you get your TM, it's a never ending cycle of just one more thing... But in a good way!
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
brulaz

I think it's really a personal decision that you have to make. How much time do you have? I'm retired and would have the time. Would you enjoy the challenge of a project like this?

There are people on this forum that have done what you want to do, including replacing rotten wood framing and worse. There's no doubt it can be done.

As for the price ... I cannot say. But if there's no rot, and if it is structurally sound, it would seem reasonable to me.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

have done a little plumbing on tm's ,replaced fresh water tank and pump, not bad, most is stright forward, a good pex tool makes things go better, was able to put new seals and such in thedford in less than 3 hrs, with the info found in the threads here,bill has a grt one, it was step by step,
could it be that the front shell just needs a adj.? or does something feel wrong going up and down?
and plz this is just my opionion, use your on judgement ,pric is high for a fixer upper, it is real easy to put another 1000 or more into one real fast,
the best money you can spend on a tm is the 12.dollers spent here to be a member, even before you buy.

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
OscarF
Site Sponsor

Default Many Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks for the insightful responses. I believe I'll have to pass on this opportunity. The part about having enough time is the one the kid in me overlooks every time. After working a few extended shifts back to back this week I think I'll wait for a better fit to come along.
Also, I wanted to say that this forum is one of the reasons I will own a TM someday. It is great to know the following for this product runs so deep. With that said I guess its time to own up and join the forum as a member.

Thanks,

Oscar
OscarF is offline   Reply With Quote