TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
rgbrennan

Default weight of bed

I recently bought a 1992 trailmanor and cant wait till the snow goes away to enjoy it. my question is i need to get ride of the foam mattress that came with it because its so old. I was thinking that maybe i could just put a full size or queen size regular mattress in it but will that be to much weight being put on the bed frame.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Brifla

The mattress thickness will actually be the thing you need to consider first. The TM won't close if the new mattress is much thicker than the original. If you search some of the threads here, you will find some people that did substitute a different mattress but I don't think they are standard mattresses. I seem to recall reading about air adjustable type mattresses.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Bluegrass

Brian has it right. The issue is depth of the mattress. The stock TM mattress is 4 inches deep. Anything more than that will likely prevent you from closing the TM.

I wouldn't worry about weight. The stock mattress is very dense. I doubt you'll find any other mattress of the same size that is much heavier unless you try to load a water bed in there.

Keith
Old 02-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbrennan View Post
I recently bought a 1992 trailmanor and cant wait till the snow goes away to enjoy it. my question is i need to get ride of the foam mattress that came with it because its so old. I was thinking that maybe i could just put a full size or queen size regular mattress in it but will that be to much weight being put on the bed frame.
If you check the measurements regular home mattresses are large then the RV mattresses. They are longer and wider.

We have two LL Bean 4 inch self inflating futons. They fit the TM frame fine and don't interfere with closing. Also we make them up as twins so there is no fighting over covers.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Mkilmurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
If you check the measurements regular home mattresses are large then the RV mattresses. They are longer and wider.

We have two LL Bean 4 inch self inflating futons. They fit the TM frame fine and don't interfere with closing. Also we make them up as twins so there is no fighting over covers.
That's interesting. I may have to try that out. The TM mattress hurts my shoulder as I'm typically a side sleeper.