TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #31
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I misread the part about which way the driveway is slanted. ThePair got it right. I like his ideas, especially the one about backing the TM down the driveway using the rear hitch receiver and a long draw bar to connect it to the TV....the long bar/rear hitch setup is pictured here:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...oncrete&page=3

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #32
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

With regard to getting in/out of the garage without the hitch hitting the driveway:

Another possibility is to buy a cheap hitch at WalMart (etc) with a 4 inch rise/drop.

You can also play games with the springbars. Raise them to raise the tongue a couple inches. Release them to drop the tongue. This has the advantage that you can do it halfway down the driveway, as the TM enters the different slant, if you need to.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 01:36 PM   #33
Trailblazer

Default Parking on sloped driveway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
As you see can from the pics earlier in this thread, I too park my TM on an incline such that I back the TM uphill. I wanted to be able to open the TM while parked as well, so I built a riser from the tongue jack. I just took an 8-foot long 2x12 of pressure treated lumber, cut it into 1-foot lengths, and stacked them up with the grain changing direction with each board, and screwed them together as I stacked them. I neglected to glue them together as well, so some of them warped a bit, but it still works fine. If I did it over again, I probably would use untreated lumber on all but the board that touches the ground, to help prevent the warping, and glue AND screw them together. But I also live in SoCal, where it rarely rains.

See the below pic -- the tongue jack is not fully extended. IIRC, my driveway slope is about 8-9 degrees, which is fairly steep. I can verify that if you'd like to compare it to yours.

Dave
Newbie TM owner here, resurrecting this older thread. I have a question about parking on a 5.5 degree sloped driveway!

I am wanting to park mine in our driveway, and am concerned about the safety and the process of raising the tongue jack. With the TM hitched, I'd first chock the tires, then slide blocks under the tongue, and raise the jack to take weight off the hitch to disconnect the TV. With the TV out of the way. I'd extend the jack to max, put the the front stabilizers down on blocks to support the weight of the TM by thise and the tires alone, as I retract the tongue jack so that I can then add height to the tongue jack support. Then extend the tongue jack onto the heightened jack support to raise the TM to level wiithout the jack being hyper extended and up off the front stabilizers. Then I'd drop all the stabilizer jacks on supports to further prevent movement, stabilize the level TM to permit opening and access.

Aside from the TM rolling down the driveway, as has previously discussed in the thread, my safety concern is whether the front stabilizer jacks and tires are actually capable of holding the full weight of the TM, while I add height to the tongue jack so that it is not hyper-extended, as I raise it to level. I have not tried to extend the jack to it's maximum, so not sure how high it is able to go above level, but I calculate that I need a front support that needs adds a minimum of 1.4 feet in height for the jack to sit normal at level. I don't believe a 1.4 foot support will fit under the jack, with the TM and TV hitched and jack retracted.

Would like to be able to access the TM in our driveway to avoid the hassle of municipal bylaws that only allow parking on the street a couple days. Appreciate any thoughts or advice from TM veterans, who've experience actually doing this! Would prefer to learn from someone elses's mistakes and not my own!
Old 05-27-2023, 02:30 PM   #34
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Do you know the size and rating of the tires and the axle of the TM? I'm sure the tires have been replaced since it's a 2010, but what size and rating are on it currently? The axle "should" be a 3500 LB Dexter. If you have a copy of the blue owners book, you might find that in there. Some have 5000 Lb axles, but most are 3500 Lb.
The stabilizers should also be rated to support the camper. I don't know what was the OEM version on my camper when I recieved it, but I always had extension/retraction issues, even after lubing several times. I ended up installing BAL 24002D has 4" to 23-3/4" extension. 7,500 lb. capacity.
Your tires carry the majority of the weight.
What version is the tongue jack? Mine is Husky 87641 rated at 4500 LBs, again possibly over kill, but I'd rather have more power or support capabilities then just maybe enough.
My driveway has kinda steep, but I've never worried about the jacks or tires not being able to support or handle the grade. I did try to make the wooden supports for the front jacks to have an angle to minimise the steepness. That would be my suggestion in your case, until you know more info on the tires, jacks and such.
This pic is before I installed to electric jack. One thing I find is the slope makes it a bit easier for me to lifting the front shell when I open the camper up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1798.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	22026  
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 05:37 PM   #35
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Regarding the tongue weight it’s VERY overkill. Remember it’s lifting the tongue weight not the total weight of the camper. So maybe 500-600lbs max? But yeah all those power jacks are rated for stupid amounts of weight.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 10:35 PM   #36
Trailblazer

Thanks for the comments! You both have raised some interesting points. My electric jack is the Atwood MPD 80570 with a capacity of 3,500 lbs.

Kidkraz, you driveway's slope looks very similar to mine. I might be a bit unnecessarily cautious! I'm sure others have managed to park and access their TM on a slope worse than mine, just don't want to mess up!

I wasn't so much concerned about the tires or axles, since they're designed capable enough to carry the weight when towed. It was more about whether the front stabilizers would be sufficient to handle the weight on a slope. The weight there would be different than at the tongue, with the jack retracted, as I anticipate needing to add more height to the underlying jack support.

On a slope, with the 3500 lb capable tongue jack retracted so I could add some extra support height underneath it, I would expect more of the TM weight to be distributed from the tires to the front stabilizers, than when on level ground.

I have already made supports for the tongue and the four stabilizers that are fashioned to the slope of the driveway. If there is actually 1.4 feet of extra height hiding in the tongue jack (or close to that) when the trailer is level on flat ground, I likely wouldn't even need to add the extra height to my support. I'm just doubting that there is that much extra, and not so sure that I like the idea of the jack or stabs being overly extended to achieve level anyway. Just would prefer not to be in the middle of all this for the first time, and unprepared. At the moment, the TM is not situated where I can test how high the jack can go fully extended, so still have to check that.

If I understand correctly the stabilizers are supposed to be capable of 5K each!? Therefore I can't see why there should be any issue with supporting the TM on the front stabilizers, while the jack is retracted, providing the wheels are properly chocked. Once level with stabilizers all in play, the fact the TM is on a slope shouldn't matter, with the weight resting on the tires, per usual. Was just wondering if others had ever relied on the front stabs to help them get level on an incline.
Old 05-29-2023, 05:47 AM   #37
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer View Post
If I understand correctly the stabilizers are supposed to be capable of 5K each!? Therefore I can't see why there should be any issue with supporting the TM on the front stabilizers, while the jack is retracted, providing the wheels are properly chocked.
You understand correctly, though it would be wise to confirm the rating on the manufacturer's web site. The common confusion on this point comes from using the word "stabilizers" instead of "jacks". Most trailers have stabilizers, which are designed to simply prevent rocking as you walk around in a trailer that is fully supported by its wheels and tongue jack. Stabilizers have very limited weight-carrying capacity. TM, on the other hand, has chosen to install real jacks on each corner.

For me, the biggest issue with the TM jacks is that the jack screw picks up a ton of road grime and sand and crud, which makes them hard to operate and limits their usable capacity. Grease only makes it worse - dry-lube spray is a better choice. Still, I find that before a trip, it is a good idea to run the jacks up and down with no weight on them, while holding a wire brush against the threads. I use an electric to turn them.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 05:39 PM   #38
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Keep in mind that 5,000lb rating is VERTICAL load with the camper level. If you have them on a slope, I’d bet they fold way before 5,000lbs. Same
With the tongue jack.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote