TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #1
RogerR

Default AC Noise. And will tv antenna work on DTV in 2009?

I have a 2005 2720SL that we have had for a year. After 25 years of popups its great to have a real bath, sofa and kitchen.

THE PROBLEM! Every time we use AC the noise level is excessive. We took a TV but the AC fan noise is so loud that we couldn't hear it. Is there any solution to this??

Our TV works great with the antenna but wonder if anyone knows if it will receive the HD signal that stations are changing to in 2009?

Has anyone tried TV trays instead of the foldout tables? I would like to find a practical replacement as I find them uncomfortable to eat from.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
lbtexs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I have a 2005 2720SL that we have had for a year. After 25 years of popups its great to have a real bath, sofa and kitchen.

THE PROBLEM! Every time we use AC the noise level is excessive. We took a TV but the AC fan noise is so loud that we couldn't hear it. Is there any solution to this??

Our TV works great with the antenna but wonder if anyone knows if it will receive the HD signal that stations are changing to in 2009?

Has anyone tried TV trays instead of the foldout tables? I would like to find a practical replacement as I find them uncomfortable to eat from.
AC noise seems to be an issue for all of us. I've heard that the newer units are quieter so maybe our next TM or next replacement AC will not be as bad.
As for as TV, there's no problem getting HD DTV over the antenna. DTV is different in that you get it or don't. If the signal's too weak, your set just won't show it but the picture is either not there or it's perfect. One nice thing about most DTV receivers is that they have tuning indicators so you can turn the antenna and watch the TV to see what angle provides the best reception.
Haven't tried TV trays. Tend to eat outside more than in.
Enjoy.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:01 AM   #3
cali camping

Quote:

Just to clarify here...TV stations are not changing to HD broadcasts in February 2009. They are changing from analog to digital (DTV) over the air (OTA)broadcasts. Most older TV's will be able to use an external digital to analog converter to remedy the problem. More information can be found here:
http://www.dtv.gov/index.html
Your TM batwing antenna will work perfect for OTA Digital broadcast provided you use an external converter as required.

2007 2720SD, Dual 80 watt solar panels, flat screen LCD TV mounted on side wall, 210 Ah AGM Battery, Link 10, Dual Honda 2000EUi's
Cadillac Escalade EXT, Prodigy
cali camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:29 AM   #4
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
I'll just pass this on for what it's worth -

I had purchased one of the converter boxes (with $40 discount) for the TM, so I'd be ready in February when the TV stations discontinue analog transmissions and go digital. We're way out in a rural area some 50-60 miles from the broadcasting city, and use a large roof mounted antenna rather than the TM's antenna/amplifier (which had worked marginally in this locale).

I've had the new converter box for a while now, but on a whim, I decided to try the converter box now, just to see what happened. I bypassed the TM's antenna, and hooked the large antenna directly to the converter box then to the TV. To my surprise TV reception was very clear and most stations were amazingly sharp As I understand it, some stations are already broadcasting digitally. Some stations however, exhibited pixelation (colored blocks) or presented too weak a signal, and could not be viewed.

I still need to do some antenna rotation/aiming for maximum reception, but based on my experiences and depending upon your location, I don't see why the converter boxes would not also work with the TM's antenna system right now!

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:36 AM   #5
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
. . . if it will receive the HD signal that stations are changing to in 2009?
It will work fine. Most of the off air stations in our area have been broadcasting digital for over a year. And more are going to the digital format (while keeping the analogue) as we get closer to the cut off date. The Wineguard amplified antenna works so well for the TM that I investigated the possibility of using one for our home. Wineguard makes an amplified version that includes a 117 VAC power supply. Look for the Wineguard Sensar Bi-Directional off air UHF/VHF amplified TV antenna model GS-2000. The antenna is bi-directional so I added a rotator to the antenna mast. That significantly improved the number of off air digital stations detected.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1429a.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	3015  
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodor47 View Post
It will work fine. Most of the off air stations in our area have been broadcasting digital for over a year. And more are going to the digital format (while keeping the analogue) as we get closer to the cut off date. The Wineguard amplified antenna works so well for the TM that I investigated the possibility of using one for our home. Wineguard makes an amplified version that includes a 117 VAC power supply. Look for the Wineguard Sensar Bi-Directional off air UHF/VHF amplified TV antenna model GS-2000. The antenna is bi-directional so I added a rotator to the antenna mast. That significantly improved the number of off air digital stations detected.

Dick
The TM taught me that over the air digital TV is pretty darned good. We're 35+ miles from any station, and analog TV is way too snowy to watch. I once thought of using an RV antenna in the house, but then with a little experimentation I discovered that $30 amplified rabbit ears can provide a good digital signal anywhere in the house.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:03 AM   #7
lnussbau

Just for an additional clarification: In spite of the hype from a lot of sales folk, antennas don't care whether your signal is analog or digital. They are cut according to the wavelength (or frequency) of the signal, and the new digital signals are in the same area of the electromagnetic spectrum as the old analog signals (that is, they use the same channels), so will receive the signals just fine. As indicated in the posts above, the electronics is where the difference is, so converter boxes or TVs with an ATSC (as opposed to NTSC) tuner will receive the digital signal. NTSC, of course, is for the existing analog signals.