TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-11-2019, 08:29 PM   #1
ewgoodman

Default Adjusting the torsion bars

We have a 2002 3124 King and have noticed that it is heavier to lift the front and rear shells than it was. Is there a way to adjust the torsion bars that will help us. It appears that there are adjustment bolts on each corner, but I do not want to mess things up. The closed positions of both seem to require about the same pressure to latch them down. Thanks!
ewgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:35 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Yes, you can adjust the torsion bars, but the adjustment points are not in the corners. The devices in the corners are called corner latches, and they are not related to lifting the shells.

Each shell is lifted by four white rectangular lift arms, two on each side of the trailer. With the shell up, follow each arm to the bottom. You will find a round black bar inserted into the end of each lift arm. This is the torsion bar. The bar makes a 90-degree bend as it exits the lift arm, and continues across the entire underside of the trailer to the other side. At this point, the bar makes another 90-degree bend, and the end is interested into a steel cage. The cage has a short but BIG bolt in the bottom of it, facing upward. If you turn the bolt clockwise (inward), it presses the end of the torsion bar upward, which increases the lift strength. For each shell, it is recommended that you make adjustments to pairs of bolts (the front pair, or the rear pair). Adjust each pair of bolts by the same amount at the same time. Make small adjustments - maybe a quarter turn at a time. And you MUST do this when the shell is raised.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:15 AM   #3
Paul R Deranger

Default Torsion Bars

I recently purchased a used 2011 TrailManor 3124 KS camper and I had read up on it before buying it, the main reason I bought it is because it sets up easily and tows great behind a small vehicle. I have a 2012 Ford F-150 with a V-6 motor and it tows great, but setting it up is a strenuaus task. So I'm going to try your suggestions hoping this will solve my problems. Thanks so much and I'll update you later with the results.
Paul R Deranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:43 AM   #4
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

I have a detailed article on this located in the "TrailManor information you won't find anywhere else" sub-forum. I will update some of the pictures, but probably not until the summertime. You should still be able to figure it out.

It should not be that difficult to open and close. Probably most important, always check to see if anything is binding.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #5
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Welcome to the forum Paul. Just be aware that you are a trial member for the moment. At some point, you will lose access to the more technical sub-forums unless you pay a subscription to the forum.

This is the only forum I actually pay for, and it has paid for itself many times over. Just search my username and you will see how many here have helped me out over the last few years. In fact, it was partly due to the existence of this forum that I decided to get a Trailmanor.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote