TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
moneeleann

Default Torsion Bar Woes

Back again, with the same problems....

If any of you recall, I bought a used 2005 3023. Still love it to death. But it had problems with the roof and was really hard to lift in the front. We adjusted the bolts for the torsion bars, but the bolts for the awning side were maxed out.

I know that one of the previous owners let it sit with too much snow on top, which bowed the roof of the front shell. However, this is all repaired (although the dip is still there) now. As far as I can tell, there is no water trapped in the shell (nothing leaking anywhere inside or out, and I live in OK, where temps have been over 100, which should have evaporated anything out).

I spent much time on the phone with someone at The Car Show, and he determined that my front door side torsion bar needed replaced. Even though both bolts were bottomed out, he explained that the center one was only for assist, and once the front was replaced, the center would be fine.

So, I replaced the torsion bar on the front. Surprisingly, it was fairly easy to do. And wow, what a difference when just looking at the two bars side by side! The old one was definitely sprung! So, with everything back together, I can now lift it by myself. But, the center bar is still bottomed out on the bolt, and I have to really put everything I have into opening it. I am not exactly small..... But I have to lift, brace a leg on the box, and push/lift with everything I've got to get it open.

What do you all think? Does the center bar also need replaced? I think it does. When I open the latches, the front back side of the camper lifts up a bit. The front door side is a beast that barely moves. It is definitely a problem on that side. Opinions? I really want my camper to be something I can have more confidence with, as I travel by myself with my three small children during the summer months. If I'm really tired, I have a hard time lifting it still.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I have hear that if the foam in the roof fills with water, that the weight of the water will make it hard in one direction (up or down). Don't know if there is anything to this? It might be worth looking into it? You may not have a torsion bar issue?
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
moneeleann

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
I have hear that if the foam in the roof fills with water, that the weight of the water will make it hard in one direction (up or down). Don't know if there is anything to this? It might be worth looking into it? You may not have a torsion bar issue?
Which makes perfect sense. Except, I can't find any source of water. I've had the vents and the air conditioner off, and no water comes out of the "sandwich". Multiple holes drilled inside for Antenna, Smoke Detector, CO detector. I've removed these to see if any water came out. Nothing.

I had a roof leak one time. Front corner on top. Water traveled through the shell and came out at every cutout. But again, all leaks have been repaired. No leaking in heavy thunderstorms. Temps of over 100 F. I just can't see how there is any water in there... Unless I'm missing something.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I would check with TM to see what they think. I'm wondering how fast the foam drys??

I had a hot tube that the bottom was was fill with spray in foam. When we went to move it, it was fill with water and we could not move it. It took for ever for the foam to dry out when we covered it and no water was in the unit. It was not completely dried after letting it sit from early spring to mid fall with the tarp over it. But we could move it. Something to do with the foam trapping the water and acting like a vapor barrier and not wanting to release the water.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

You said you replaced the door-side torsion bar. Singular. My thought would be to replace the street-side front torsion bar, also, so both have been replaced. If one is sprung, the other sure could be. This way, there is equal lift on each side of the front shell, not just one corner getting more lift.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
MisterP

I am not a foam expert, but I believe TM is using closed cell foam in the walls. Think bubble wrap rather than a sponge. That being said, some water can be absorbed in any type of foam. But I have a problem believing it would hold enough to greatly change the weight of the roof.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneeleann View Post
I travel by myself with my three small children during the summer months.
Sometime you'll have to tell us how you pull this off. Every time I read this I am in awe. Hats off to you for getting them out there!!

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
moneeleann

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
You said you replaced the door-side torsion bar. Singular. My thought would be to replace the street-side front torsion bar, also, so both have been replaced. If one is sprung, the other sure could be. This way, there is equal lift on each side of the front shell, not just one corner getting more lift.
I thought of that too, but the guy from The Car Show seemed to think that the other bar was ok, since that side actually DOES have some spring to it, and the adjustment bolt is not fully tightened. I'm honestly to the point of thinking about changing out all four at the same time. A lot of money, yes, they run about a hundred bucks each. But then, changing them out ourselves runs less than having even one changed by the factory.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
moneeleann

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
I am not a foam expert, but I believe TM is using closed cell foam in the walls. Think bubble wrap rather than a sponge. That being said, some water can be absorbed in any type of foam. But I have a problem believing it would hold enough to greatly change the weight of the roof.
Exactly my thought. The foam inside the ceiling in any case, is just like what those inexpensive styrofoam coolers are made of. I didn't see any absorption.

And man, oh man... it feels like that corner weighs a ton! The other front corner seems weightless in comparison. But that front door side one, feels like you're trying to lift the camper itself!
Old 02-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #10
moneeleann

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Sometime you'll have to tell us how you pull this off. Every time I read this I am in awe. Hats off to you for getting them out there!!

Dave
Ha! It's because I love to camp, I ADORE my trailmanor, and my kids love to be outside. At least the younger three. My oldest two, ages 21 and 17, are bored with the camping thing now, and don't go. But my youngest are 7, 4, and 1. They LOVE the outdoors, and camping is a huge adventure for them. With that said, two of the front four drawers under the sofa are filled with permanent camper toys and games. And we do lots of activities! Plus we bake cookies, make dinner as a group, eat all the kids meals that the rest of the family doesn't like. Then settle in with a movie at the end of the day. It's bliss..... (plus, have I mentioned I'm a high school teacher? after dealing with teenagers 9 months out of the year, my kids during the summer are EASY!)