TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-23-2004, 08:49 AM   #1
Simon3xUD

Default Source for 30' septic hose?

Well, I just wasn't thinking last weekend . We were dry camping at a dog trial and there was just one dump location between the trial site and home. Unfortunately, I chose a route that put us on the interstate one exit beyond the exit with the Flying J ! Going back to that exit would have entailed an extra 20 miles or so and a $10 toll. So, I decided it was time to try dumping into the sewer cleanout in my front yard. We got to my home only to discover that what we thought was a 20' hose was only 10' and was waaayyy too short.

Our final option was to go out of our way while returning the trailer to it's home in Columbia. We ended up using the dump station at the rest area on I-95 between Baltimore and DC (note: the southbound rest area dump station is better than the northbound rest area's). What should have been an easy trip home with early arrival ended up becoming a marathon.

To make a long story short, I still want the option of using my home sewer cleanout to dump but I need a much longer sewer hose. The longest I could find online was 25' as I recall and I really want a 30' hose. Anyone have an online source of longer hoses? I already have the fittings so only need the plain hose.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2004, 01:02 PM   #2
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Default Long Septic hose use.

I use the Sewer Solution I bought from Camping World. I has worked well for me. You can hook up a hose with the included hose control valve. The water hose helps push the waste down the hose and can be switched to back flush out your RV septic system by shooting water back stream. Then you use it to wash out the septic hose before you put it away. It is a little pricey. but cheaper if you buy it from the manufacturer. You can buy 10 foot extensions for it too. This kind of hose doesn't have the corrigations that debris will get stuck in like the usual 3" collapsible slinky hose. Just use the water hose to rinse it out good. I hang it up to dry and is no problem.

http://www.sewersolution.com/index.htm
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...9&skunum=16617

Another thing I do, is dump with my Septic Solution into a Blue Tote waste container then transport it to a septic dump place. But there is always some clean-up to do. At some of the dry camping places I take the Blue tote to a restroom to dump down the toilet. In Yosemite there were no dump sites within 20 miles, so this worked well. In this case I used the 5 gallon tote and hauled it with a collapsible hand cart.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...19&prodID=1571

Another option is to use a macerator pump. It connects directly to the waste fiting on the TM. It uses 12 volts DC and grinds up any waste before pumping to your dump site. This system can pump a long distance or even up a small hill. See Camping World for that also.
Since the debris is all chopped up you use a 3/4 garden hose for the hose which is easily rinsed out and coiled up to store.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...9&skunum=26125
Old 09-23-2004, 01:50 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Let me suggest that you don't really want a long sewer hose. Because of the corrugations, the water doesn't flow fast in the hose, solids settle out and get stuck, the thing is a bear (a clumsy NASTY bear) to clean when you are done, it NEVER dries out, and it is nasty to store. Besides that, when you pull the dump valve for the black water, the whole 30' will jump, and pull out of sewer, making a mess on your lawn.

Instead, go to the plumbing dept at Home Depot (etc) and find Schedule 40 PVC drain pipe and fittings. That's the thick-walled slick white stuff. Buy three 10' lengths of 4" pipe, three 4" unions, and two 4" elbows - and a small can of PVC pipe cement. All cheap.

When you get it home, use a hacksaw or a carpenter's saw to cut a 3" piece and a 6" piece off the end of any one of the pieces of pipe. Then -

1. On pipe number 1, glue a union on one end. Glue an elbow on the other end. Glue the 3" piece into the elbow. Glue another union on the 3" piece. Set pipe number 1 aside.
2. On pipe number 2, glue a union on one end. Set pipe number 2 aside.
3. On pipe number 3, glue an elbow on one end. Glue the 6" piece into the elbow.

You are done. You now have three pieces of pipe which can be fit together into a 30' piece, and then disassembled into three 10' pieces. "Water" flows rapidly through them, nothing sticks, they are easy to clean (after disassembly, just shoot the stream of a hose into each one), and easy to store (I just lay them on the garage floor under the TM.)

Piece number 1 has a funnel on the end - the union that sticks up from the elbow. You put this funnel near the trailer's dump valve, and stick your normal sewer hose into it. (Even better, put a standard sewer hose twist fitting on a very short length of sewer hose, maybe 2', just for this purpose.)

Piece number 2 is just an extension - you push the plain end into the union on piece number 1, and pull it back out again when you are done dumping.

On piece number three, the plain end is pushed into the union on piece number 2, and at the other end, the 6" pipe sticks down into the sewer cleanout, and won't jump out.

This makes more sense with a diagram.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pipes.gif
Views:	56
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	115  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 12:14 PM   #4
azroadrunner

Everyone to their own methods. My suggestion is to add a 20 ft piece to your 10 ft piece using a coupler. Then you can use either or both as the situation dictates.

Jim
Old 10-04-2004, 01:53 PM   #5
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

My 10'/20'/30' sewer hose.

www.campingworld.com
  • 2 each #5686 Valterra E-Z On/Off Adapter @ $6.74
  • 1 each #14487 Valterra E-Z Coupler Bayonet Adapter @ $7.19
  • 1 each #5684 Valterra E-Z 90 deg. Sewer Adapter @ $8.99
  • 1 each #5273 Valterra E-Z Coupler Threaded Adapter @ $5.39
  • 1 each #20467 Camco 10' Heavy Duty Hose @ $5.39
  • 1 each #20468 Camso 20' Heavy Duty Hose @ $10.99
Most of the time I need a 20' hose. I have 1 On/Off adapter and the bayonet adapter threaded onto the 10' hose. I have 1 On.Off adapter and the 90 deg. sewer adapter threaded onto the 20' hose. I can easily connect the 2 hoses together and make a 30' hose when needed. And I have needed it more than once when I stayed at a park with the sewer connection at the curb side rear of the trailer pad.

MJL

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote