TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-02-2015, 04:02 PM   #11
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

SkyJim73, I really agree with you on something you said earlier in this thread about being unhappy with the detail work but really liking the bones. I bought my TM new from a dealer and based upon the "retail price" for TMs, I negotiated a pretty good deal. That said, I have repeatedly found things that for the amount of money it cost, I really expected better quality. I like the fold-down concept and how easy it is to tow, and like being able to store it in one of my garage bays. But, I wish I had realized that the TM was going to be a project unto itself...having to fix and improve so many things that seem to me things that TM should have done better. That said, I am enjoying using it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #12
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

SkyJim73,

A bit off subject here, but I must protest!!! 60 is not gezzerhood by any means. It's just around the next corner for me and I do not feel like a gezzer. I do feel my aches from all the foolish things I did as a kid, but not geezerhood.

Now back to quality issues, I received my TM in Oct 2012 and when I went thru my rig, I was not impressed with most of the way the wiring and some plumbing was routed thru the trailer. I also felt they could have done a better job cleaning up after drilling thru walls or floors. As you, RottieMom and other have said the bones are good.
I had the opportunity to meet with the owner, who happened to be at the dealership when I was making my down payment. Nice guy, who seemed to me to care about his company. The product is good, but the quality suffered with the move. We owners who purchase new from TM need to provide good feedback to the company, with pictures if possible. I did customer service for a major aviation company and when I had to tell my company they screwed up, I sent proof of those errors with pictures. No one wants to poke anyone in the eye; and I am not accusing anyone in this forum of that; but being made aware of quality issues are things a company wants and needs to hear.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #13
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Thank you. Planning the small generator vs AC shootout for this weekend if everything on order arrives.

Have thought that I'd rather have a 2922KS for the king bed but suspect I have the 2720SL for a reason and may be because of the 14.5" wide rear compartment that limits my generator testing (well also anything over 70 lbs is to hard to lift) but sounds like you could carry two EU2000is paralleled endwise.

Trouble is that am rapidly getting the most tricked out 2720SL in existance and is not a good thing.

But then I get back to carrying two gens for AC just does not feel right. Know it can be done with one but at what cost ?
Old 07-02-2015, 06:28 PM   #14
cbossc

FunPilot chime in here.
I think there is plenty of room for two Grp 31 AGMs, I asked Funpilot before and he said no problem, I think the batts go toward the front, but not on the tongue.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:24 PM   #15
Skyjim73

Oops! Sorry, Kidkraz! ;-)

People keep telling me 60 is the new forty, but I remember forty. And 59 hurts more...
3124KB delivered 5/2015 - early unit from Nebraska. TM installed Dometic compressor fridge, lower battery rails, 4AWG batt cable, and PD converter during build. Custom RV installed cassette toilet, two 260 AH 6V batts, 2 UniSolar 64 solar panels, Morningstar MPPT controller/meter.

Tow vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman CC 4x4 3.0 diesel.
Skyjim73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:47 PM   #16
Skyjim73

I do agree with feedback to TM being needed, Kidkraz. I am kind of still going over things in my mind. Part of me wants to do another trip to solidify impressions - on that first trip, it was sort of a working vacation since I was serving as a park service volunteer every night till around midnight, doing outreach astronomy for park visitors. Result was that I was tired for most of the trip. Need a more leisurely outing so I can scribble or record some notes! I want to be fair and do not want to just beat on the Eickhoffs. Had I given them feedback a month ago, I would have been too mad about that first abortive delivery and lacked a long view.

No matter what, for us, mission priority one has been adequate comfort in a package that gives us a chance at excellent fuel economy for a towable with our comfort boxes checked. I'm certain the Trail Manor can fulfill that mission, though it might take some tweaks to get it where we really want it to be...

Jim
3124KB delivered 5/2015 - early unit from Nebraska. TM installed Dometic compressor fridge, lower battery rails, 4AWG batt cable, and PD converter during build. Custom RV installed cassette toilet, two 260 AH 6V batts, 2 UniSolar 64 solar panels, Morningstar MPPT controller/meter.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:17 AM   #17
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbossc View Post
FunPilot chime in here.
I think there is plenty of room for two Grp 31 AGMs, I asked Funpilot before and he said no problem, I think the batts go toward the front, but not on the tongue.

I will take pics of where my battery is and post later on.
Dometic 1110 Compressor Refrigerator
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Yada Wireless backup camera
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #18
Padgett
TrailManor Master

So the choice is between two grp 31s and two GC2s.

GC2s are the standard for RVs but if one fails, that is it. The Grp 31 is 2.5" longer but if one fails you can run on the other. Weight is about the same.

Price for two each is about the same: $350-$360. With two the total capacities are about the same

gpp 31 •20 amp hour rate:105 •Minutes at 5 amps:1265 12 15/16" L x 6 3/4" W x 9 3/8" H 69 lbs. Dureacell AGM $180 (minutes x2 for 2)

Maybe this battery talk should be in a new thread.

gc2 •20 amp hour rate:190 • Minutes at 5 amps:2304 10 1/4" l; 7 1/8" w; 10 7/8" h; weight is 70 lbs. Duracel AGM $171 (need 2 for 12v)

So basically a wash. I did go cheap with two conventional GC2s for about $165. Can pay a lot more for essentially the same batteries.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:30 PM   #19
Skyjim73

Padgett, one of the alternatives I explored when i was considering a 2922KB rather than a 3124 was to put a pair of GC batts on the tongue, then add a group 31 AGM as a separate secondary bank under the forward section of the dinette bench on the curb side, with a Sunsaver Duo charge controller for the solar panels to keep the second battery topped until needed. Hadn't really defined the primary charge setup for the AGM battery but was leaning toward a pricey inverter charger from Magnum with a programmable dual bank capability when i realized my wife was set on having the longer front end of the 3124/3023 models, and the drawers of the couch would displace my AGM battery.

Just as well since I was talking myself into an over-complex setup, but coming from a much bigger battery bank I was worried about capacity for dry camping. The pair of GC2Hs give me 260 amp hrs at 20 hr rate and a lot of my weekend trips are for playing with telescopes, so I camp away from shade since I want good horizons for viewing. The solar panels should get lots of sun in those situations and I think I'll be good for a few days. We'll see in August when I go up to the White Mountains for the Perseid meteors!

Old 07-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #20
Padgett
TrailManor Master

That is what I had in my Vixen: 2 GC2s coach batteries and an AGM GRP 31 to start the diesel. Both could be paralleled but the grp 31 would drop out at 11.5v so could always start the engine. Also upgraded the 94A alternator to a 140A CS-144. It had dual air - engine driven automotive when travellng and a 13,500 split system under the dinette table. That was the first system I added a fan delay to stop popping 20A circuit breakers but was 1986 vintage.