TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
Wingedryder

Default Interior corner wall trim

Curious:
Does anyone else have a length of masking tape covering wiring extending downward from ceiling, maybe 4" wide & 24" long in the inside, rear, street-side corner of their sleeping birth?

We have solar panels attached above this area on the topside roof where wiring may enter the rear shell(?). Our 2013 2720SD was new off the lot just one year ago.
On our first return visit to the dealer for fixes of various minor bugs, I asked if the masking tape was intended to be replaced with a matching white trim piece. I was told that, due to the wires entering the top of the shell in that area that the regular plastic trim piece will not fit over the wires, hence the masking tape the only way to "conceal" the wires and to keep them in place.
I think this is a very poor example of interior finishing work (actually "cheesy"), but don't want to stick up a thicker piece of plastic conduit as am afraid it would look out-of-the-ordinary and/or not stay up well.
Wingedryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:31 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

This sounds more like typical sloppy dealership workman ship. Check this thread as a possible fix: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=11022

Yours sounds like the panel is on the front shell and may be a little difficult to reroute using the Cord mate II. I ran 8 AWG from the refrig compartment along the frame in 1/2" pvc conduit to the batteries in the back when I up graded the TV charging wires.

Also don't know if the Cord mate II is UV resistant.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
Wingedryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
This sounds more like typical sloppy dealership workman ship. Check this thread as a possible fix: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=11022

Yours sounds like the panel is on the front shell and may be a little difficult to reroute using the Cord mate II. I ran 8 AWG from the refrig compartment along the frame in 1/2" pvc conduit to the batteries in the back when I up graded the TV charging wires.

Also don't know if the Cord mate II is UV resistant.
Scrubjaysnest.
I looked at the link to HarveyRV's solar panel install and must say, mine looks similarly neat & clean on the exterior. Apologize, after more thought (TM currently in storage) the visible taped up interior wiring is actually on the rear of the FRONT shell, where it overlaps the back shell (hidden when the shells are both raised). So, presumably it could even be A/C wiring(?).

My solar panels are actually mounted on the REAR shell, and my battery is all the way forward, under the opposite (curb) side dinette bench.

I guess I'll have to trace the wiring better next spring. I let the dealer's explanation go, as we were so busy dealing with other TM issues this year (mal-functioning brakes, etc., etc.). Didn't know we were buying a "fixer-upper" when we purchased a new TM. Thanks again for your thoughts!
Old 11-21-2014, 03:42 AM   #4
MisterP

Wingedryder - I think you are the victim of someone taking the easy way to run wiring. If the taped wiring is running down the inside of the front shell, they did it to save the time of routing the wires along the existing wiring harness that runs up the strut outside the trailer.

I don't know what the wires are but there's a potential problem. If this wiring is left there, the opening and closing of the shells will eventually fray the wires. Might take a while, but I wouldn't be comfortable with them there.

Adding a plastic conduit will cause rubbing off the adjacent shell, and will damage it eventually. The wiring should be moved. This is why the wiring harness is placed on the outside of the trailer.

I hope you are taking lots of pictures of these problems. I would be writing a long letter to Trailmanor....
Old 11-21-2014, 05:11 AM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Every once and awhile one seems to slip through quality control.
There is a channel that runs inside the front shell on that back street side corner and our antenna wire likes to pop out of it. Just takes a bit of effort to get everything in there.

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
Old 11-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
I hope you are taking lots of pictures of these problems. I would be writing a long letter to Trailmanor....
Like Scrubjaysnest, I still have to ask "Who installed the panels?" I'm having a lot of trouble thinking it was the factory - they have procedures and hardware to do it correctly, and I can't imagine why they would deviate to this extent. IMO, it was much more likely to be the dealer who tried to fob off the "no room for the wires" excuse, or even more likely a third-party installer hired by the dealer before delivery.

And I still don't have a mental picture of how the wires are installed, or even where. If the panels are on the front shell, and the wires are on the front shell, there is no need to bring those wires (or any other) inside the trailer. It should be obvious to the installers that if all the other wires come down the lift arm, these probably should, too.

When you get a chance, photos would be a good thing.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
Wingedryder

Unhappy

Gentlemen (Scrubjaysnest & Bill):
We're pretty beside ourselves with this TM. Though relieved to have the brakes finally working properly after 11 mos., we can't help being disappointed in both the factory's and dealer's responses to several other issues we've encountered on a new TM, such as this one (however minor). I've been reluctant to place blame (not knowing just what I should expect from either party), and not wanting to jaundice our relationships with either dealer or factory for fear of not obtaining future support when/if we were in need.

I've gone particularly easy on the dealer (The Car Show in Colorado Springs, CO) as the owners were in a terrible auto accident this summer and it has, understandably, hampered their ability to "take care of business" as they may otherwise have. And, sorry to say, Ed at the factory has been only minimally helpful. As a result, I don't feel confident in either the dealer nor factory to address any of our present or future concerns adequately.

Again, we'd like so much to LOVE this trailer, and do like many of it's features! But I don't know where to turn with either new trailer gripes or continued service. I'm 65 miles from the dealer and many states away from the dealer. We treat this trailer as though it were our first born, but I wish I hadn't been so eager to purchase now.

Sorry to sound like sour grapes, but I didn't purchase this trailer for a "fixer-upper" hobby. Thanks ever so much for the suggestions and guidance by each of you here on the Forum (part of the reason I felt comfortable in purchasing a TM). I'm not through yet, and do appreciate your thoughts! Mr P's right, I don't think a plastic conduit would fit when shells are lowered/raised.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:03 AM   #8
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Like Scrubjaysnest, I still have to ask "Who installed the panels?" I'm having a lot of trouble thinking it was the factory - they have procedures and hardware to do it correctly, and I can't imagine why they would deviate to this extent. IMO, it was much more likely to be the dealer who tried to fob off the "no room for the wires" excuse, or even more likely a third-party installer hired by the dealer before delivery.

And I still don't have a mental picture of how the wires are installed, or even where. If the panels are on the front shell, and the wires are on the front shell, there is no need to bring those wires (or any other) inside the trailer. It should be obvious to the installers that if all the other wires come down the lift arm, these probably should, too.

When you get a chance, photos would be a good thing.

Bill
Ditto on what Bill said. Pictures and to me having an SL, the solar panel wiring would be easy to route through the wire loom on the arm. From there to the Charge controller will require may an hours work for those of us that don't do this for a living.

We had some issues with ours but then the company was in trouble and they were in the middle of mid year changes to the TM. We also have the problem of not working well with the local dealer. The Car Show has an excellent reputation will members who have dealt with them but who knows.
Like Bill a picture to show how they routed the cable would be interesting.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
Wingedryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Ditto on what Bill said. Pictures and to me having an SL, the solar panel wiring would be easy to route through the wire loom on the arm. From there to the Charge controller will require may an hours work for those of us that don't do this for a living.

We had some issues with ours but then the company was in trouble and they were in the middle of mid year changes to the TM. We also have the problem of not working well with the local dealer. The Car Show has an excellent reputation will members who have dealt with them but who knows.
Like Bill a picture to show how they routed the cable would be interesting.
Thanks Scrubjaysnest. You're right, I'll have to take pics to better illustrate the masking tape that holds the wiring in place that I mentioned (next spring). In fact, there well may be a 'channel' that they reside in, as I think you'd mentioned, and the factory or dealer has merely taped over it to keep them in place. Not a huge deal, but, to me, kind of a cheesy fix. Will revisit in the spring, for sure.

My understanding is that the dealer installs the solar panels, but that the masking tape was applied by the factory to hide wiring, which would indicate it is the A/C wiring. This is not the place to bad mouth the dealer (the country's largest, and yet primarily a used car dealership), and the owners have been quite cordial, however, if you have the time I can fill you in on their rather questionable mechanical prowess, and the items I've had to replace due to some undeniably sloppy workmanship. I've talked to 'Ed' at the factory, and emailed him a list of problems we've dealt with since purchasing, with, to date, no response. I'm not the only one I know of who feels abandoned by the factory and reluctant to have the same dealer work on their, pur'd new, TM. And I thought a tent-camper could be troublesome, ha! Just my experience.

Thanks again for trying to sort this out for me! Thanks too, Mr. P, I don't think the conduit would fit between the shells either.