TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2008, 06:57 AM   #1
Rich_in_Tampa

Default How long is too long...

This is a question to which the answer is largely subjective, but I am curious about your experiences. We have been discussing upgrading to a Class A when retirement comes along, but with the price of fuel, rising costs for maintenance, and industry upheaval it is starting to make us nervous.

So...for just how long have you comfortably lived out of your TM without really starting to get claustrophobic/bonkers/uncomfortable? Assume you usually have full hookups or E&W, and stay in one place 2 weeks at the longest.

What tricks have you used to maximize storgage and otherwise make the most of your TM (we have a 3124KS)? I am not against taking a night in a nicer motel every week or two just to decompress.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

I'm throwing in my $.02 because I noticed it's been all day and nobody has made any comments. I hope someone who has spent more time in their TM adds their thoughts.
My experience is limited.

I could stay in our TM for ever. On the other hand, DW occasionally uses the word claustrophobic. Our longest trip has been two weeks and she feels that she could probably go a little longer before the urge to strangle her husband becomes overwhelming.

As far as storage goes, we have a four door pick up truck with plenty of room for Kayaks, bicycles, coolers, HER clothing, and HER clothing, and all HER other stuff. Yeah I just rotate two quick dry shorts and hope i dont fall in the fire pit more than once on any given day. Seriously, I think a pick-up or heavy duty full size van make a difference if your plan on camping/traveling for extended periods.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
Rich_in_Tampa

That's a good point about the TV. At first we would feel like we had to get all our belongings packed in the TM before we left, but quickly realized that we could just leave some permanent stuff in the coach (a couple of old hats, a light rain jacket, duplicate toiletries, a pair of jeans, old shoes etc. The other stuff now gets thrown in the Sequoia an hour before we leave.

Our longest has been about a week. We were still comfortable.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
P and B

Rich,
We kind of had the same idea, or at least my wife did. We observe the same things you do. One thing I think will have to change is the Class A industry or it simply will not survive. As you know, they use mainly existing chasis from existing buses and trucks. I don't think they worry about weight due mainly to the size of the engines they employ. The folks at Trail Manor are on the leading edge of designing lightweight systems. As you pointed out, it's one of the reasons we went this route. Our first RV was a Rockwood class C when gas was 1.50.

Truthfully, the industry will have to change or it will die. As far as storage goes though, I just don't think you'll be able to drag everything your used to having around with you anymore like some of these big diesel pushers can. I have altered my longer term view of retirement to have a much smaller home somewhere convenient and being able to travel with something like a TM but not being so financially tied to a Class A that I feel I have to be on the road all the time. The way I look at it is that you'll have to tow something- Class A you pull a small vehicle or TM, you just unhook it and use the TV. One problem solved.

Storage is indeed a problem but you can't have your cake and eat it too. It looks like we are all going to have to make compromises going forward.

Still think you made the right decision.

regards,

Phil
Old 03-14-2008, 09:05 PM   #5
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

We went to Missouri hunting and stayed mostly in our TM...LOL...I admit it....
I took way too much stuff!! I think I now own more camo then my dh...and I wound up wearing my 4 favorite pair of pants over and over. Tom had one dresser and I had the other...he but his hunting pants and shirts under the sofa and I put mine on the top shelf of the big kitchen cabinet to the right of the fridge....there was room to spare though...the small closet had the light jackets and the big closet had heavy jackets...lets just say...we took way to many jackets because we could. Next year it will be one light jacket and one heavy jacket...for me...the heavy/jacket or warmest jacket will be light weight also because it is down. Then we should be able to hang our pants and shirts in the big closet. I always seem to worry I will regret not bringing an item.

On the way home we Tom got sick and spent 5 days in a hospital in Paduca, Ky...our brother in law who came with his wife to stay with us...got sick and spent a month in the hospital there. Let's just say...his wife got really tired of that diesel pusher after a month. True she was homesick...worried about her husband ...and well they went to Missouri for a month instead of 2 weeks like us...plus it took them a week and half to get to Missouri...they drive like 3 to 4 hours and set up camp again. She was camping on the hospital parking lot...and ran out of water and almost out of diesel and could not drive it to get more diesel. All she wanted to do was sell it when they got home. Next week her husband has his colon surgery reversed...so it will be a bit before they can even attempt it again. It makes the Emergency plans from Good Sam's look very tempting to me.

I read tonight that gas in parts of Califoria and in Maui is 4.00 a gallon...YIKES!

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
cmc211

I have lived up to 3 months in our TM and the secret is if you don't use something very often leave it home. my TV is a pickup so I plan on putting a cover on the back for additional storage. Granted we have a 3326 but I know we could live in it indefinetly. Its crowded for more then 2 but my wife and I and our small dog its perfect. Our plan is to go on a long trip this fall. 8 months or more with hopefully Alaska in the itinerary so I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
jbrooks

I think you can stay forever if you keep stuff to a minimum and have things to make your "patio" another room. I have a table that fits in a bag (Sam's club) and chairs that fold and fit in the TM. I have always said that any RV, no matter how big is only good for 2 people and a dog!!
Judy
3023 w/ '99 3Runner