TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #21
hartsafyre

Hi Bob,
What was the problem with the roof? Leak? What did you have the factory change? I'm going to order my Elkmont 24, with the sofa bed option, but I have several questions before I do that. An RV dealer told me that the '10's and 11's had roof leak issues, and so I'm going to pass on the new 2010 in NC that had a super duper sale price for the model I want; I'm going for the 2012 at about $3k more, but I'm still thinking about it <g>. They disclaimed any leak issues.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #22
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

We had our 2011 Elkmont 26 roof fixed locally by an rv repair shop. Jeff had done work on my wheel bearings on my old 2002 3326 King, and I knew that he was reputable. The factory (Ed) approved the repairs. Ed sent me the new caulking that they are now using to have Jeff redo all of the roof seams and vents on the roof. So far it has worked to solve the leaks. It will be a year in September since it was done, and we have used it numerous times so far. This Spring, we sure had plenty of rain & terrible wind driving storms and no problems.

We had the factory put the decorative wall board on all of the outside walls in the kitchen & bath and bath tub area. It really dressed it up. Also, they put a mirror like they use on the regular TrailManors for the bathroom door. We didn't care for the flooring that looked like fake wood, so they used the gray colored vinyl that is in the bathroom also in the kitchen dinette area. It really came out nice. The bedroom area of course still has the carpet. I also had them put the small handle that they use by the outside of the door on the smaller Elkmonts inside of the doorway to make it easier for people to exit.

We really love the Elkmont 26 once we had the leak problem solved. I could not have asked for better service from Ed to get my problem solved locally instead of travelling 120 miles one way to the dealer. Most of the time I get about 11-12 miles per gallon pulling the Elkmont with my 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 with the Hemi. This is travelling about 65 mph on the interstates in all kinds of terrain. I got the same mileage pulling my old 3326 with my Durango which also had a Hemi with less horsepower & torque.

The best thing about the Elkmont is the ease of towing, and being able to stop & get inside the trailer to eat or use the toilet or get something from the refrig which is huge compared to the old TrailManor's refrig.

I hope this helps you out with your decision. I would not be afraid to buy another new Elkmont knowing that TrailManor has the problems solved with the new units being built. With the NEW TRAILMANOR COMPANY and management, I think they are trying hard to get the best quality product built the first time around. Repair work can be very costly. Get it done right the first time, and you will have a happier customer, and dealer.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #23
hartsafyre

Thanks Bob. I agree about the wood floor look, and I like the idea of the lighter colored vinyl. I was wondering of mpg's, and glad to hear that it stayed about the same. Have you heard of anyone getting a front window? How about WDH and sway control bars? That one has me really confused.

Thank you again.

Maria - 2011 Toyota Tacoma, factory installed tow package, and wanting a 2012 Elkmont 24
Old 08-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #24
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Maria,

Manufacturers are getting away from having a front window in the trailers. The 2012 regular TrailManors no longer have a front window. We like it without the window. When we first saw that the trailer did not have a window, we thought we would miss the front window that were we had in all 3 TrailManors. But after we got it, it didn't make a difference.

Our dealer sold several different hitches. I used to have a Reese hitch with a side sway unit. When I got the new Elkmont, I bought a new E2 hitch with 2 point sway control. My hitch has bars with a 1000 lb tongue rating. The sway part is built right into it. It hooks up really easy once the dealer has it adjusted for the truck and trailer. Go on to their site www.E2hitch.com to check them out. It is a great hitch and sway unit. Gives a nice ride. Lot nicer than my old Reese hitch.

Also, the power tongue is a must. No more cranking in those hot humid days. Just push the button.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #25
hartsafyre

Bob,

(I don't know if my reply worked, but here it is again)

Thanks for this info. and for the link. From what I understand, this hitch is also weight distributing so it answers that issue for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you

Maria
Old 08-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #26
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_STRONG View Post
We had our 2011 Elkmont 26 roof fixed locally by an rv repair shop. The factory (Ed) approved the repairs. Ed sent me the new caulking that they are now using to have Jeff redo all of the roof seams and vents on the roof. So far it has worked to solve the leaks.
It is good to hear that the initial roof leak problems have been resolved. Now, someone should be asking (so I'll do it) - did TM change anything about the roof or its structure, or did they simply change the type of caulk that was used to seal it? It is at least possible that if you can save several thousand dollars by buying a 2010 or 2011, and then pay $50 for new caulk (or even better, have the dealer do it for free as part of the deal), it might be a good trade.

To each his own, of course.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #27
hartsafyre

Bill, brilliant question and observation on your part. Can any of you tell me what the roof warranty is? How many years, and at what point (purchase date or delivery to customer) does it take effect? The dealer said it was 12 years from date of delivery to the customer, even though the unit is almost 2 years old. Since the dealer denied any leak issues (on the 2010), I asked to see the warranty in writing, specifically that the warranty began at the time of delivery to the customer.

They showed me a blank 'fill-in-the-blanks' registration form, which included 'DATE OF PURCHASE', but nowhere did I see, nor could I find, where it said that the roof was warranted from the date of customer delivery.

They were unable to show me a written warranty statement. That's the main reason I balked at the purchase, but maybe when I hear from one of you good folks, I'll make them an offer

Thank you all for taking time to answer my questions. You all rock!

Maria
Old 08-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #28
camp2canoe

I checked the link for the E2 hitch Bob was kind enough to supply. There are several other products made by that company, Fastway, and I'm going to order a new breakaway cable and possibly a Flip Jack Foot for my TM. Pretty sure the designer of those products actually tows trailers! Thanks, Bob, for sharing the link which even includes installation videos. - camp2canoe
Old 08-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #29
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

A 12-year warranty? Perhaps that should read 12 months, which I think is the TM standard warranty. You can check it on the FAQ page on the TM web site www.trailmanor.com, which also states "one year from purchase" (presumably meaning purchase by the original purchaser).

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:14 AM   #30
kokilo

Default Factory recommended caulk?

Bob,

What caulk does the factory recommend?

Peter