TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
verdicastro

Default Is $$ a good amount for a 2004--2720

Hi all!
My name is Verdi. I started reading this forum about a week ago. Lots of good info here. thanks.
I am looking to buy a TM and was wondering what your thoughts are on a 2004, model # 2720 for sale for $13000. It is in fine shape with air, awning, a hanging cabinet over the stove and towing gear that includes: WDH, Sway bars and electric brake control installed. I will be pull with a honda 2006 Minivan rated at 3500 Lbs.

Thanks, Verdi
Old 09-08-2006, 09:22 PM   #2
NW Native

IMHO, it is a good deal. We bought our 2004 2720 (used 4 times) with the similar options for considerably more. Not to mention traveled 1100 miles round trip to pick it up. Not complaining, mind you. We love our TM and have been out 7 times since May.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Got to agree with Texas_Camper on this one. The price for the TM sounds good, but if your tow vewhicle has to struggle to pull it (and is unable to stop it or control it in emergency situations), you won't be happy. In response to this question, I always ask (and nobody ever responds), WHERE do you intend to pull it? That is a very important part of the equation that is usually overlooked.

A 2720SL once ready for the road, will weigh just about 3500 pounds, leaving you no margin in your tow vehicle. So now, you need to know what Honda means when they say "3500 pounds". Quite often they mean "no luggage, no options, nearly empty gas tank, 150 pound driver, no passengers" and a host of other limitations.

You need to check your Honda's GCWR, not just its tow rating, and do the math. I believe you'll come up short, but if you don't, let me know. I woiuld be glad to have some more education on this topic.

I am not a snarlin' muscle truck guy - my Explorer is quite modest. But even though it is rated at 7000 pounds towing capacity, it is barely adequate in the Rockies.

WHERE do you plan to tow? WHAT will you load into your tow vehicle?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:03 AM   #4
verdicastro

We place a deposit on the TM with a commitment to buy. Thanks everyone who responded for your input. I will pick up the TM this coming Thursday.

Bill, to partially answer your question
We are camping in our back yard this year. The kids (3 kids) are excited about the prospect of camping; it does not matter to them where they do it and I will take this opportunity to get to know the camper.
We live in the middle of the state of Connecticut. Our camping travels would be confined to our home state. Our two places of interest are roughly 200 miles round trip each, allowing ample margin if lost to get back on track. The road we’ll take to either of these places is generally flat with some small hills and fewer mountains and a bit of winding. These two state camping grounds offer full service hook ups.

The TV has been our point of concern and one of the reasons for choosing TM and our request to have the WDH and Sway bars included in the deal. We would have preferred the 2619 model to further reduce our towing concern.

My wife and I have agreed to drive two cars wherever we go camping. We’ll load the second car to the max, including the family and use the van strictly to pull the TM. We’ll carry blankets, towels, pillows and other light items in it. Finally my driving will rest in the side of strict caution.

I have not checked with Honda. I will forward that when it comes about.
Verdi
Old 09-13-2006, 07:31 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Yup, as long as you stay in CT (my wife is from Windsor, BTW) and stick to your plan, you should have little trouble. No altitude, no grade problems, and all the excess weight carried in the second vehicle, takes away a lot of concerns. The Interstates that run through Hartford (I-84 primarily, but also I-91) can present real challenges in the handling department, since they are full of tight turns, left hand exits, disappearing lanes, potholes, and agressive drivers, so keep your speed down and your eyes open, and try to travel through there at non-traffic times, at least until you get your feet well wetted. But once out of Hartford, I've found CT to be one of the most beautiful states to travel through that we have encountered. Enjoy! And welcome aboard.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #6
masterge

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdicastro
Hi all!
My name is Verdi. I started reading this forum about a week ago. Lots of good info here. thanks.
I am looking to buy a TM and was wondering what your thoughts are on a 2004, model # 2720 for sale for $13000. It is in fine shape with air, awning, a hanging cabinet over the stove and towing gear that includes: WDH, Sway bars and electric brake control installed. I will be pull with a honda 2006 Minivan rated at 3500 Lbs.

Thanks, Verdi

How does it have an electric brake control? The brake controller goes on the tow vehicle. Are they removing the brake controller and mount fron the sellers vehicle and giving to you? Anyhow, Verdi it sounds like a decent price.