TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2006, 11:11 PM   #1
biznaga

Default What about that toilet?

How does the toilet in the TM work if using strictly at full hookup sites? Does it work empty into the sewer when flushing?

I have the understanding it is a chemical toilet like the Thetford and has to be dumped frequently. One reason for going with a TM (an upgrade from a popup) is the toilet/shower in them. If it is a normal chemical toilet there is not much reason us to upgrade.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:00 AM   #2
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biznaga
How does the toilet in the TM work if using strictly at full hookup sites? Does it work empty into the sewer when flushing?
There is an excellent overview of the toilet and its use at
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2354
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:27 PM   #3
shunter917
Site Sponsor

If your only reason to upgrade is to get a flushable toilet, then the TM is not for you. However, there are lots of reason to upgrade from a pop-up like a hard sided bathroom, hard sides and no canvas, A/C and heat. Oven, refrigerator, full sink, lots of storage, etc.
shunter917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:34 PM   #4
masterge

Default Check out the Fleetwood highlander series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunter917
If your only reason to upgrade is to get a flushable toilet, then the TM is not for you. However, there are lots of reason to upgrade from a pop-up like a hard sided bathroom, hard sides and no canvas, A/C and heat. Oven, refrigerator, full sink, lots of storage, etc.
Fleetwood Highlander series have a ceramic toliet that operates just like your home toliet. Goes to sewer line when available or balckwater tank when not available.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:40 PM   #5
biznaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunter917
I am perfectly satisfied with the popup. However it is the "boss" who wants the toilet.

I actually like the "out doorsey" feeling in the popup. That is why we may go with a hybrid with a toilet.

Unfortunately can't store a hybrid in the old garage, and no where else to store it on property. Maybe I should just return to tent camping.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:01 PM   #6
Doug W.

The TrailManor does have a chemical toilet, but it is more like the one on an aircraft than the one you have in your tent trailer. You do charge it and add chemicals. You press a button that recirulates the chemicals to flush it. You do not need to remove it from the trailer to empty it if yours is like the one in my brother's tent trailer. You just leave your sewer hose connected like the other trailers, but only empty it when full. After dumping the toilet, you empty the gray water tanks. Just spent a week (seven days) at Branson and we had to dump two times. The shower works fine, but it is better after some of the modifications suggested here. Used the AC most evenings and the heater a couple morning. Good old Missouri weather, hot and humid enough in the evening to be real sticky and then get so cool at night the trailer cool down to under 60 degrees.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:11 PM   #7
kwatson51

Quote:
Originally Posted by biznaga View Post
I am perfectly satisfied with the popup. However it is the "boss" who wants the toilet.

I actually like the "out doorsey" feeling in the popup. That is why we may go with a hybrid with a toilet.

Unfortunately can't store a hybrid in the old garage, and no where else to store it on property. Maybe I should just return to tent camping.
Consider trading pop-ups. We bought our pup used for about $6k. Has slide-out dinette, shower, potty, heater, water heater, stove (no oven). We subscribe to the rule of "no poopin' in the potty" and use campground facilities. Works great and lasts a long time (never had to dump it before it was time to go home).
Am considering TM to extend our camping season. You can see pics of last weekends' campout here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/keithbon...ellerStatePark
As you can see, we are somewhat motivated to look at TM. We did ok, but it was an effort to stay warm. We store ours in the garage.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:32 PM   #8
wwjam

We did not move up from anything, so the TM is the only thing we know. Using the TM toilet verses having nothing, or using public bathrooms, is a great asset. I'm much happier with our bathroom than I would be using the bathrooms in the campgrounds. If you use good chemicals, and empty when it's getting full, it works pretty good. I'm not crazy about the sometimes ordor, probably mostly chemicals, but if you keep the lid down it stays inside. We can go about 3 or 4 days without emptying.

Some friends of ours have a big 5th wheel and they don't flush into the sewer line, they empty when full. They say when you leave it open like that it can cause a black cone, which is not fun to clean out.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:57 PM   #9
biznaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper View Post
TM's are expensive, but you're looking at a 10 - 20 year investment and from reading this board, if you don't care for it, you can recover most of your investment rather quickly.
Good luck in your quest for your camper.

At my age I will be long dead before those 10-20 years are up. But I guess my kids can enjoy it.