TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2006, 05:39 AM   #1
78crewcabjohn

Default 1992 tm questions

I bought a used 1992 tm and an dewinterizing and testing stuff before camping. I ran two small thin orange type extension cords from my garage to use 110 volt power. When I tried the air conditioner it would not run the compressor. when I when to a heavier cord it would cycle on and off quickly. Is this normal or is it low on freon? Does the camper have to be perfectly level for the frig. to operate? Does it have to have items in it to operate? Thanks for you help...I'm new to TM's. JOHN
Old 05-10-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
Bill & Lisa

Your AC will not run off of an orange extension cord. You need a 30 amp connection to handle the starting current surge.

Fridge has some tollerance but empty takes about 8 hours to cool down. Let it run over night and check the next day.

Bill
Old 05-11-2006, 05:32 AM   #3
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

The A/C in our TM (a 2619) is probably the smallest used, and is side mounted in the cabinets near the "wardrobe drawers". We will typically set the camper up the day before we plan on leaving, in order to pack, do small maintenance, and most importantly get the refrigerator cooled down. The house doesn't have readily accessible 30 amp outlets, but there is a 20 amp plug near the garage. I use this plug with a heavy extension cord (8 or 10 gauge wire ?) plugged into the TM's fat black retractable cord (using an adapter made for the purpose). This setup runs the AC, refrigerator, and lights in the trailer. So far I've had not problem with the A/C cycling on and off, but again this may be because it is a small A/C unit (almost too small to be of value).

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:29 AM   #4
Freedom

We have the 2000 2619 TM with the side A/C and it runs great on a 75' 12 gauge extension cord. It's basically a small "window shaker" and it's located beside the oven. We used it in 90+° weather in New Mexico last year and it kept the trailer cool. I was amazed how well it did. It looks like it's a standard size - if it looks like it'll cost too much to fix yours maybe you can find a new one that will fit the hole. The new ones are much more efficient than they were even 5 years ago.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:59 AM   #5
78crewcabjohn

Thanks all for your replies!!!
I am excited to try out the TM. I do have a regular sized AC on the roof. I will try a heavier cord or move the camper so my extension plugs directly to the unit. I know its an older trailer but was very economical to try a TM. Thanks again JOHN
Old 05-13-2006, 02:59 AM   #6
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78crewcabjohn
I bought a used 1992 tm and an dewinterizing and testing stuff before camping. I ran two small thin orange type extension cords from my garage to use 110 volt power. When I tried the air conditioner it would not run the compressor. when I when to a heavier cord it would cycle on and off quickly. Is this normal or is it low on freon? Does the camper have to be perfectly level for the frig. to operate? Does it have to have items in it to operate? Thanks for you help...I'm new to TM's. JOHN
John,
I came across this writeup at the "Trailer Life" web site. It addresses some of the things that you mentioned in your original post.

"To activate the 120-volt AC system (other than through use of an inverter), the RV is plugged into a campground power source, typically referred to as shore power. A heavy power cord, rated for 30 amps, is best to properly supply electricity to operate all the on-board accessories. A light-gauge cord of inadequate amp rating is not suitable for such things as air-conditioner startup, which imposes a heavy electrical load. If the roof air conditioner or other heavy appliances are not going to be operated, a 12-gauge cord may be used, but it should not exceed 25 feet in length. If an extension cord is used in conjunction with the RV's original power cord, the extension should be of the same gauge, so as not to diminish the electrical rating. When a 30-amp supply is not available, adapters may be plugged into the 30-amp power cord to allow it to be connected to 15-amp or 20-amp outlets. However, this arrangement may reduce the ability to operate more than one appliance at a time".

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote