TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2006, 10:39 AM   #11
hal

Hello Leon, We had used the method of stacking plastic boxes on top of each other inside the storage area. It was ok for a while but not only was it necessary for one to get down on their knees but also to lift the top box with its contents up and off the other box. Then while on our knees, we had to rummage through the contents of the lower box. Next was to lift box and set it back on top of the others inside the cabinet. Being on our knees, this put most of the lifting on the lower section of our spine. But then the most difficult part was getting back up to a standing position. The aisle is narrow and there is little to grab to use in pulling ourselves up. Having to do this many times during a trip prooved to be a real drag plus a pain in the back.

With this drawer set up, it was easy to remain standing and pull out the drawer, reach in and grab a can of soup or whatever. Also, the baskets come in three different depths. In one opening we opted to put the shallowest drawer at the top. This means anything small like spices, cocoa mix, etc were not buried under the contents in the dark storage compartment. I guess also that we wanted something more permanant.

Hal
Old 01-22-2006, 06:53 PM   #12
BrigCA61

Hi Hal, we want to thank you for sending us those fine drawer plans. They look fantastic - as if made for the Trailmanor. You did an outstanding job making up the plans on paper too. We actually have something similar we set up in one of the smaller pantry's in our home kitchen which works very well. This particular set-up we found at Home Depot. My husband is excited to get going on this project. Just curious however... I see how great this works for normal food stuffs in the cabinets/drawers... but how do you store your pots and pans? Right now I have them in the top shelf in the cabinet under the stove. Many thanks again!

-Brigitte
Old 01-22-2006, 08:54 PM   #13
hal

Brigitte, Because of the fender well in the lowest opening next to the stove, we did not install a drawer. So, pots, pans & coffee pot are stored in this area plus the opening that is directly below the stove. One of the advantages of this system is that there are three different drawers based on depth to select from. We use the shallowest one to keep spices and other small food packets, etc. In the same opening, and on the same frame, we used a medium depth drawer. In the area directly below the microwave, we installed one of the deepest drawers. It is great for boxes of cereal, etc. Then in the opening just below, we installed a medium size drawers. Depending on the heighth of the opening, you can mix depths in the same frame.

Before you purchase any of the parts, please measure your cabinet openings. I understand that the factory may have made the openings in the 06 TMs narrower. If I could get to my TM I could measure the openings in my TM. If anyone wishes to measure their openings (height and width) and let me know the measurements, I could verify any such changes. I would also need to know the year of TM being measured. [email protected]

Hal
Old 01-23-2006, 08:54 AM   #14
hal

Monday morning 8:30 a.m. Denver time. I just talked with Ed Lytle at the TrailManor factory and asked him about the dimensions of the under counter cabinet openings. He said that all TMs should have the same size openings as the floor plans have not been changed since the 80s. He had not been informed of any changes. So, the best thing you can do is measure the heigth and width of the openings. "If the Elfa cabinets fit, you must acquit" no, no, that is some other situation. If the cabinets fit, they should work for you.

Hal
Old 01-23-2006, 04:57 PM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Despite what Ed told you, the size of the openings did, in fact, change between my 2002 and my 2006, 2720SL model TMs. I built drawers for the first one, and am in the process of building drawers for the second one. The old drawers don't come anywhere near fitting the new TM - I tried them, thinking I could save the effort of rebuilding. The difference is in the width, something like an inch-and-a-half or two inches. Height and depth did not change.

I believe that TM buys the cabinets pre-fab from an outside vendor. TM cares about the overall dimensions, and the size of the opening for the oven. I think this is what Ed was referring to - these have not changed. However, the left-right location of the vertical partition below and to the right of the silverware drawer is not of much concern, and it appears that the vendor changed it somewhere along the line.

Moral: As Hal said, MEASURE YOUR PARTICULAR TM before you put any money down on prefab drawers.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:29 PM   #16
hal

Bill, thanks for your sage advice. Anyone doing this install, please do measure your openings. We have a 2003 2720SD and they are the same identical size as our 1998. This warning should put eveyone on notice to measure the openings. Even then, if you do not give up too much space on the sides, there should be drawers that you could utilize in your TM. Once you measure your openings, please send me the figures, along with the year and model TrailManor that you have.

Thanks,

Hal
Old 01-23-2006, 09:09 PM   #17

Default Storage

I visited the TM factory back in the summer and I could have sworn I saw them building the cabinets for the TMs that were on line. Was I mistaken?
Old 01-24-2006, 08:31 AM   #18
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Now I'm curious, too. I posted my original drawer plans for my 2002 2720SL, and Rick Newcomb volunteered to host them on his site at
http://home.comcast.net/~trailmanor/kitch.htm
The plans and photos are still there. As can be seen, the width of the drawers in the middle column (Drawers 2 and 7) was quite different from the drawers in the right-hand column (Drawers 3, 4, and 5). In my new 2006 2720SL, the drawers in these two columns have equal width.

DeanBilly, I stated that TM uses an outside vendor for kitchen cabinets based on the manufacturer's sticker that I found inside the cabinets in my 2002. It is certainly possible that TM has brought the operation in-house since then, and perhaps changed the inside dimensions at the same time.

Let us know what data you collect, Hal.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:14 AM   #19
hal

Great looking plans Bill, I especially like the drawer that is located under the stove. Would it be possible to have that drawer installed at a lower point. This would be a great drawer to store pots and pans.

Hal
Old 01-24-2006, 09:45 AM   #20
hal

Bill, I believe that I discovered the reason for the drawer being in the position that it is. The drawer must clear the fender well.

Also, my wife claims there are two smaller doors in stead of a single door in that opening on our TM. She is in and out of this opening a lot so I cannot deny this. (Also, she won't let me deny it). This opening on our TM is divided by a vertical face frame. Is yours the same? If so, what did you do with the face frame in this area?

What do you think of the side view of a drawer that would allow drawer to be installed at a lower level, yet would not eliminate storage space on top of wheel well and all the way back to TM inner wall?

Hal