TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2005, 05:14 PM   #1
RsnthlBxtr

Question Brief Questions re used 1998 TM

I am aware that between 1995 and 1998, TM moved away from wood lower boxes to aluminum boxes. Although I have a call into TM, would anyone know off-hand whether the 1998 2720s were aluminum or wood? Also, does the raising and lowering of the top half cause circle marks, or any marks, on the lower half? If so, why? Thank you, in advance, for your input.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:16 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RsnthlBxtr
... does the raising and lowering of the top half cause circle marks, or any marks, on the lower half? If so, why?
Raising and lowering the shells shouldn't cause any marks. Unfortunately, the roof seals between the shells do seem to cause marks, probably related to slight motion of the shells during travel.

Specifically, the seal on the ceiling of the front shell will probably make a mark on the roof of the rear shell (outside). And the seal on the roof of the rear shell will probably make a mark on the ceiling of the front shell. (Got that????)

Scrupulous cleaning of the seal areas, to remove any grit, will reduce this marking, but will not (IMO) eliminate it. I am getting ready to repaint the ceiling of the front shell in mine, and then cover the marked area with a length of clear UHMW tape (the very tough and very slippery stuff that FedEx and UPS use on the inside of their package chutes) to prevent re-marking. I am hopeful that the factory will pick up this tip in time for my next TM, probably an '06!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 08:15 AM   #3
RsnthlBxtr

Thank you.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:45 PM   #4
Donde1

Default ???Re: wood lower boxes???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RsnthlBxtr
I am aware that between 1995 and 1998, TM moved away from wood lower boxes to aluminum boxes. Although I have a call into TM, would anyone know off-hand whether the 1998 2720s were aluminum or wood?
What is this wood lower box? I'm soon to purchase a 94 3326King, will it have a "wood lower box"? Is there a way to look for wood rot? Should I stay away from a "wood lower box"? Is a "wood lower box" heavier ( I'm sure it would have to be, but how much)?

Donde
Old 03-19-2005, 07:38 PM   #5
RsnthlBxtr

Go to the "Last Year for Wood Frame?" threat by laurab, which is part of the PRospective Owner Questions forum, for more information on wood box/aluminum box.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:33 PM   #6
RsnthlBxtr

I spoke to Ed at the TM factory about TM framing (wood or aluminum). He informed me that the transition to aluminum framing for the lower box occurred in the early 1990s, and that the tansition to aluminum framing for the upper shells occurred over several years, between 1995 and 1998. Ed said that the only way to know for sure whether the upper shells have aluminum framing is to remove the various layers of the upper shells, which for obvious reasons is not advisable.

Because a prospective purchaser of a used TM is concerned about wood rot and moisture within the walls of the shell, Ed offered a practical test. Ed suggested that if the upper walls are bowing and rough, most likely moisture is present. If, however, the walls are smooth and straight, it is unlikely that there is any moisture or wood rot present.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:52 PM   #7
Windbreaker

There is a very easy way to check for wood. Remove the door and frame. Do you see wood or a little square tube? Reattach frame and door. Or find any screw that enters the lower 1/2" of a shell, take it out, and look in.