TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2004, 01:06 PM   #1
hal

Default Mckesh Mirrors

I have used McKesh mirrors for about three years now and can say only good things about them. Before I had them, I had those slide on type, that true to their design, kept sliding off as well. In fact while traveling in Wyoming a state patrolman stopped me with them and issued a warning ticket for not have adequate vision toward my rear. I have never seen anyone so irate.

Anyway, because I remove my mirrors when the car is run through the car wash, they have become increasingly filthy. When I reinstall them, I turn the tightening knob so many clicks that it hurts my fingers. I want them to be as tight as is possible. Well, I noticed how dirty the mirrors were and lay them on the grass to hand wash them. Everything, including the straps were thoroughly soaked and cleaned. I then rehung them on my doors and also tightened them as best I could. I would have liked them to be even tighter. Something happened, that I need to be re-assured it not my imagination. As the straps dried, they seemed to shrink, thus making my mirrors tighter than I had ever been able to get them before. There was almost no vibration of the mirrors as I drove down the highway. Someone, please try soaking the straps before attaching the mirrors to the door and tell me I am not loosing my grip.

Hal
Old 06-14-2004, 02:20 PM   #2
Windbreaker

Default Re:Mckesh Mirrors

Don't go gettin' all ralied up now. Each state has it's own laws about towing. Mirrows are one of them. Trailer Life's campground guide has a good listing on them. Most, but not all, states require that you can see an object 200' behind the trailer.

All this means is that you might have to run the mirrows out a little more. 8)
Old 06-14-2004, 02:28 PM   #3
hal

There were a combination of factors for his stopping me. First of all, I think he must have been being punished for something and was assigned to patrol the back roads. I was going a bit over the speed limit. The thing that ticked him off was the fact that even tho I knew he was behind me with his flashing lights, I was looking for a wide spot in the narrow two lane road. He thought I couldn't see him and therefore didn't stop. He was so irate that I didn't even try to explain that I could see him. I had traveled less that a block before I stopped when the a passing lane made a wider spot. Otherwise, there was no road side and I would have had to stop with my trailer mostly in the highway. I had slowed down considerably and had turned on my right signal to let him know that I was complying. Among other things he screamed something about a possible ambulance could have been behind me and I wouldn't have seen it. At any rate, when i returned home, I gave the slip on mirrors away and bought a set of McKesh mirrors. I could now justify their purchse. Needless to say, they truely are better than those I had before.

Hal
Old 06-14-2004, 08:26 PM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

[quote author=Hal link=board=1;threadid=2021;start=msg14244#msg14244 date=1087240002]
As the straps dried, they seemed to shrink, thus making my mirrors tighter than I had ever been able to get them before. There was almost no vibration of the mirrors as I drove down the highway. Someone, please try soaking the straps before attaching the mirrors to the door and tell me I am not loosing my grip.

[/quote]

Hal, you're not halucinating. The straps on the McKesh mirrors are woven nylon. Nylon is notorious for stretching when wet and shrinking when it dries. Same thing happens when you drive in a rain storm with the McKesh mirrors...as soon as they get wet they will loosen, then hum and vibrate. A few miles after you drive out of the rain, they dry and shrink and the humming/vibrating goes away.

Boat people have a very strong dislike for nylon rope because of its tendancy to stretch when wet and shrink when dry....makes proper tying off of things pretty tricky.

There's a potential danger in overly snugging the McKesh straps when they're wet...when they do dry and shrink they'll put a real strain on the attachment points, especially the rubber seals around the windows.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:38 AM   #5
jbeletti
Jim

After cleaning the garage and reorganizing the camping stuff, an item fell off my wall, caught both my McKesh mirrors on the top shelf and took them both to the floor. Shattered one of the mirror glasses to bits. As an FYI, the replacement cost for a mirror head (latest mirror heads do not have replaceable mirror glass) from Hensley is $18 and shipping is $9. They take Visa over the phone.

Jim
jbeletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:34 PM   #6
camperboy

Does that count towards the old bad luck tale? Hope not! Sorry to hear about the mishap.

Camperboy