TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
gcubed

Default final question before buying :)

I here trailmanors have a 3 way fridge. Can i run it while the trailer is down? If So do I run it on propane, or battery, and will it overheat?

Thanks.

-Gregg
Old 08-18-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
M&M Hokie

Technically, you can run it in any mode when it is down. The TM comes with a fan and ducting to ensure that adequate ventilation exists in the closed position. You cannot run it on battery for an extended period because it would drain your battery pretty fast unless you were connected to shore power or a running tow vehicle.

Note: there is much debate concerning the safety of transporting while using propane.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
Larry Gault

Don't expect it to cool down very quickly either no matter how you run it. It will need a good 12-24 hours to reach normal fridge temps. I precool ours a couple days before we take it out using shore power.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
brulaz

The controversy over using propane doesn't exist for the trailers with larger frig's like ours. These can only be run on propane when traveling, probably because they would draw too much current on DC.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I run it on battery when towing, and have a switch to shut it off when I stop (to eat, or whatever) so the battery doesn't drain while the TV isn't running. If the only time it's running is when my engine is on, then there's no issue with battery charge, and I always get to the campsite with a full TM battery and a cold fridge

Yes, I pre-cool for 24+ hours before a trip, too. Then we load it up, switch to DC/battery power, close up and go.

(Note: The Elkmont has a different fridge than the fold-down TrailManors, so Brulaz' statement may or may not apply to you.)
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
gcubed

do I have to run the fan at all times when towing or still if it is down?

-Gregg
Old 08-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #7
Bill & Lisa

If you are running the refridgerator AND the unit is down you SHOULD run the fan. Otherwise there is insufficient air flow across the fins and it will not cool properly, not to mention allowing heat to build up in the area which could warp parts of the surrounding area or cause a fire.

When the unit is set up, you don't need to run the fan, BUT in hot weather I often DID as the increased airflow improved the heat transfer rate and the efficiency of the unit. As others have said, it is not the most efficient unit and takes a while to cool down so any improvement in the operation is a good thing in my book.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
Scott O

To clarify, if is mandatory that you run the refrigerator fan when the TM is down. This may have something to do with cooling, but the main reason is to prevent heat buildup between the walls, as in the down position there is no venting. If/when you do get your TM, open the outside refrigerator vent doors and locate the vent duct. It is about 2" or so in diameter and is a flexible plastic. Follow it down and look under the TM to see where it comes out. With the fan on, place your hand over the duct exit and make sure the fan is sucking the air down and out. There have been reports of the fan wiring being reversed and the fan blowing air UP, which doesn't help in exhausting heated air! Basically the only time you will use the fan is when the TM is down, although it's use may help cool when the outside temp gets over 85 degrees.

Seems to me from reading this forum that most people power their refrigerator on 12v battery when travelling, propane when dry camping, and 120v when connected to shore power. This might be an interesting topic for a poll for anyone who knows how to set one up!
Old 08-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
Harry Womack

Default Running on 12 volt power

I run on 12 volts with the fan on when towing. With the 200 watt solar panel I have never had a battery problem. I have parked for several hours and have not had a low battery.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote