TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
mustang

Default king size trail manor towing

am considering purchasing used a king size don't know the model number but am interested in how it tows and what you tow it with?
Thanks
Old 06-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
P and B

We have the 3124KS and tow with an ML320 with a WDH. It tows much better than I expected but we also try to keep the weight down (e.g, don't travel with full tanks etc.).

Phil
Old 06-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

We also have a 3124KS and tow it with a Chevy Duramax Diesel. I know too much vehicle for what we tow. We get great mpg and it tows like a dream.

Mustang I bet you are looking a a 3326 King though. The 3326 King is two feet longer then ours and also a side dinette......making it heavier then our camper.

For your info there is also a 3124 KB. The year the camper was built could effect the weight. The wood frame ones...the older models are heavier then the ones since about 2001/2002 (I think ...but could be wrong on the exact year.)

You can go to www.trailmanors.com and look at the various current floor plans.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
We also have a 3124KS and tow it with a Chevy Duramax Diesel. I know too much vehicle for what we tow. We get great mpg and it tows like a dream.

Mustang I bet you are looking a a 3326 King though. The 3326 King is two feet longer then ours and also a side dinette......making it heavier then our camper.

For your info there is also a 3124 KB. The year the camper was built could effect the weight. The wood frame ones...the older models are heavier then the ones since about 2001/2002 (I think ...but could be wrong on the exact year.)

You can go to www.trailmanors.com and look at the various current floor plans.
Actually the older, wood frame TMs are about the same weight as the new ones. The wood framing is actually lighter than the aluminum frames. The aluminum frames are superior in many ways but weight isn't one of them....
Old 06-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
Bluegrass

We pull our 3124kb with an 06 Toyota Tundra. No sweat. What are you thinking of using for a tow vehicle?
Old 06-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
sharoden

We have a 99 3326 king and pull with a Buick Rainer AWD. Tows quite well, but does tend to sway a speeds over 55. I do not use a anti-sway bar at this time. When towing I sometimes have to remind myself that its back there
Old 06-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
Actually the older, wood frame TMs are about the same weight as the new ones. The wood framing is actually lighter than the aluminum frames. The aluminum frames are superior in many ways but weight isn't one of them....
Thanks for clearing that up Harvey.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharoden View Post
We have a 99 3326 king and pull with a Buick Rainer AWD. Tows quite well, but does tend to sway a speeds over 55. I do not use a anti-sway bar at this time. When towing I sometimes have to remind myself that its back there
Are you using a WDH (Weight Distribution Hitch) with sway control? If not, you certainly should consider one. I would recommend that you take your rig (fully loaded) to a scales and get it weighed. Be sure to weigh the TV separately or see our instruction on weighing the trailer tongue.

Swaying is extremely dangerous and almost unheard of on the TMs but it does occur if the TV is over burdened, towing too fast and/or not set-up properly. You should be able to tow @ 65 without swaying. Not that, that is a good idea, but it does happen from time to time.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
sharoden

Thanks Wayne for your advice, I have had the TV and TM checked. No WDH by I have air suspension. Actualy tows quite well.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharoden View Post
Thanks Wayne for your advice, I have had the TV and TM checked. No WDH by I have air suspension. Actualy tows quite well.
Air suspension does not help put the weight back on the front wheels that is taken away from the weight of the trailer tongue on the hitch.

When you put the trailer on the hitch the ~600#s of weight added behind the rear axle will remove ~200# from the front axle of the tow vehicle. That loss of weight can cause loss of braking and steering during hard braking. It can also contribute to swaying. All the air suspension does is lift the rear of the vehicle, is does nothing for shifting weight back to the front wheels.

Although the Raineer looks like an excellent choice of TV for your TM, the Raineer only has a 114" wheel base. Pulling a nearly 5,000# TM 3326 could be risky without a WDH. Check the vehicles Owners Manual. It may even have some discourse in the towing section about it.

If you have to panic stop that rig on wet roads, you could have a real problem.