TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2004, 09:06 PM   #11
revmrbill

Talking tmwanabe

I just bought a TM 3023 from a dealer in Texas I drove my 2003 Suburan out to get it got 18.9 MPG on the way out at 75-80 mph.
Had the dealer install an Equal-I-Zer WD hitch
with 1000 lb. bars no sway control as this type hitch incorporates it in the design.
Drove eight hundred miles back a 60-65 mph (suburban has 5.3 liter engine) got 15.7 mpg which is roughly 85%, I think your van would do a good job but I agree make sure it has an oil cooler the bigger the better if thats possible.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:28 AM   #12
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyGail
.....Have been considering a Ford 150 V8 ExCab with a short bed. (Do we need the bigger V8?) We have never towed before and would like info on TV as well as TV class or order. Anyone out there have something like that or can offer info. Also, what Class Hitch do we have the TV dealer add? -- We don't want to spend $ and find out it won't work.....
I Towed my 2720SL with a Ford F150 5.4L V8 StdCab Short Bed. I wanted the larger V8 for towing in the Arkansas Ozark mountains. I think it had a 3.55 rear end in it. The truck had more than enough power for any towing situation encountered. Just push on the go pedal and the 150 would find the right combination of gear and rpm to handle the load. When leaving my usual campground, I am presented with a stop sign and then I pull out onto a 7% uphill grade for the next two miles. The truck, with TM attached, could (I tested it) top the hill at 70 + mph but most of the time I just tried to maintain 50.

I traded the F150 for an F250 V10 with an eye to trading the TM on a 5er. As an afterthought, I found out that the F250 is much more comfortable and confident on the road. Take a look at the F250 5.4L V8 with tow package as an alternative to the F150. The cost difference is much less than you think and you don't need a weight distibuting hitch with it.

HTH
MJL

p.s. If you order the F150, be sure to get LT (light truck) rated tires for towing. They have a much stronger sidewall than the P (passenger) rated tires. I experienced some tire tread roll-under with the P rated tires on some of the curves in the mountains.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:00 AM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
There are dozens of good threads in the "Towing Rigs" section. Unfortunately, it looks like only the most recent 8 threads can actually be seen at the moment, since the board is in the process of restructuring. This should be done in a couple weeks, I think - be sure to come back and read them all when it happens.Bill
Gail -

I just discovered that you can go to the bottom of the page, click Archive, and see all of the old posts right now. Just click the same topic - Towing Rigs - and they are all there.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 05:47 PM   #14
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

I also vote for keeping the van for a year or so if it's in good shape mechanically. Many people find they want a larger or different camping rig after their initial venture into RVing and waiting to buy a new TV will keep your options open. Also, you didn't say whether the van is a daily driver. If not and you buy now, I'd recommend getting a bigger TV than the minimum you'll need for the TM. Almost no one wishes they had bought a less capable TV. On the other hand, struggling up long hills with a line of cars backed up behind you does not make for an enjoyable day.

Frank
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 01:25 PM   #15
kchamb1206

Gail,

I agree with Rocky. Keep the van, buy the biggest TM you can afford, and let the grand kids sleep in the "beast".

MaineMan
Old 08-30-2004, 04:21 PM   #16
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Gail,

I agree with Rocky. If you are happy with the van, the cost of a tranny cooler and related improvements would appear to be a pittance compared to the cost of a new TV, and "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

There might even be some advantage to keeping the van, since the TM would be completely sheltered from relative wind and mileage might be even better than with a truck or SUV. Just a theory that might not be true, but somebody else might know more.

And, since camping and and traveling seem to exact a toll on anything that goes along, you might enjoy the luxury of not having to worry about the inevitable road rash, scratches and dings on a new TV. When we started camping again after a long hiatus, I just hooked up to our 8-year-old 1/2 ton Suburban and headed for New Mexico, then to Oshkosh. The only problem we had in 7,000+ miles was a heater core, which I don't think was attributable to the TM.

Wayne
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 10:55 PM   #17
central_texan

Default Personal Experiences

Gail,
I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado pickup with the 5.3L (327 ci) engine with the 3.73 rear end and the tow package. We tow a 3023 and experience only about a 2.5 hit on gas mileage towing the speed limit here in Texas (70 mph). I would guess that if you tow slower you would probably get better.
If your '95 has at least a 5.0 L engine and a rear end of about 3.5 or numerically higher, it would probably tow a TM just fine. Don't worry about a WD hitch as a heavy vehicle like yours would likely not be affected. The only other thing in a tow package are HD shocks and the wiring harness. Both are easily added to a vehicle. I would also, however, get a heavy duty 2" receiver for it and insure that, when hooked up, the combination is very level (get a riser hitch bar, if necessary). Tongue weight should not be more than 400# even for the larger trailers. The van will be a distinct advantage if you are taking grandkids or others along.
One item that entered into our decision making is the exterior storage on the 2720 and the 3023. We store lawn chairs, BBQ grills, flares, etc there so we don't have to sacrifice interior storage space. We would have been happy with a 2720 (not SD or SL) but could not find one in our area (we got a 3023).
You will find that the TMs are a dream to tow since they do not have the big sail effect either from the front or the side. Also contributing to towability is the fact that the center of gravity is very low.

Hope this helps,
Charles