TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2023, 02:17 PM   #1
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Default How to back up a trailer and NOT get Divorced!

Here is what I told all my trailer customers. Backing a trailer into a campsite is not hard when you know the 5 "C's", Common understanding, Communication, Courage, Control, and Carnegie Hall

1: COMMON UNDERSTANDING. BOTH the driver and "guide" must get out and look at the place you want to put the trailer. (I start by telling the guide, "What do you think about putting the trailer here!) Then I make a mark on the ground and scuff the dirt with my shoe or place a rock where I want the tire to be. It is then the job of the guide to tell me if the back of the trailer has to turn right or left. (this is from the guide's perspective. It is up to the driver to make the proper corrections). (Additional suggestion from Bill. Our other rule is that the guide must always remain in the driver's view, as seen in one tow mirror or the other. It is the guide's responsibility to remain in view. If the guide can see the driver's face in the mirror, then all is well. If the driver loses sight of the guide, stop immediately. This gives the guide the freedom to jump to a different vantage point, usually to the other side of the trailer to see how its going there, and then pop back - or stay.

2: COMMUNICATION Rolling down the window and yelling at each other is ineffective, disruptive, and unnecessary. If you are in a place where Cell Phones are operational use them, but if you are like us and seek out remote locals...Get a pair of FRS/GMRS radios. All communication is therefore effective, quiet, and clear.

3: Courage: You can do this, be calm make slow and deliberate moves and NEVER press an untenable position into a BAD mistake. If it's not working... Slow down, get out, and take a look, if need be, pull out (or pull straight) and try again. Sometimes I have had to make three or four attempts to get into a small or tight camping spot. Don't let others intimidate you. Be courageous, you can and will get it right, even if it takes 5 tries! Don't let other intimidate you.

4: CONTROL - Righty/Lefty: When backing up a trailer, the easiest way I know how to turn the wheel is when your guide tells you "Just a little left" is to put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and when the guide says "left" you move your hand to the left (In actuality you are turning the steering wheel right). Once you have done that a few....maybe even a few hundred times... You will get the hang of it.

5:How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice...PRACTICE! Take your trailer out to a large parking lot (Malls work great for this) and practice backing your trailer into a parking stall in an empty part of the lot. Use the steps above and practice backing it in several times...Then switch the driver/guide rolls (Both should know the other responsibilities and frustrations).

AND LASTLY - Before leaving home or a campsite, both of you should do all of the following: Complete a walk around the coach. check your campsite for items INCLUDING TRASH! Check all windows and doors are closed and locked. Check that all stabilizers are up and that all hatches and latches are secure. Cables, hoses, vents, and antennas are stowed properly. Check tow chains, and breakaway cable, are secured and the hitch is LOCKED!
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote