TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
Kentwesley

Default Finally took the plunge

After some extensive research (mostly from this board), I finally bought my first TM. I found a beautiful pre-owned 2005 3124KB. I had to drive 350 miles to get it but I'm sure it was worthwhile...I'll let you know after I get a chance to actually take it out for a weekend.

I just want to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge and experiences. I learned a lot over the past few weeks as I perused through old threads and messages. This turned out to be a huge help when I went to purchase the TM. The dealer was not a TM dealer...had very little knowledge about it. In fact, I ended up showing him how it works, and that was the first time I actually saw a TM in person. It was like blind leading the blind. It took me forever to convince him that the water heater could be used with gas and electric (we couldn't find the electric switch). We never found the pole to bring down the awning (I finally found it after bringing it back home). However, I was still able to do a thorough check after being armed with knowledge from this board.

The best part was being able to negotiate the price down. After looking like a fool, the dealer was anxious to get rid of the trailer so he wouldn't have to go through that again! Now, I just need someone who lives in Mass. to show me how this thing really works.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
Rich_in_Tampa

Congratulations. I have a 2008 3124KS and really enjoy it. Sometimes I look at the weird thing and ask myself how the heck can this work, and stay dry, and be comfortable, fit in my driveway, and be so towable, etc. etc. Yet, somehow, it all seems to work.

Have fun with hit - you made a good choice.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:45 AM   #3
Kentwesley

Default water heater

Thanks for the link. I found the switch.

How do I know (for sure) if I have a bypass valve installed or not? I'm pretty sure I don't based on tracing the tubes into and out of the 6 gallon tank. I'm just curious whether I should check anything else to confirm.

If I don't have a bypass valve, is there a simple way to flush out the anti-freeze that the dealer used to winterize? There doesn't seem to be any anti-freeze in the tank...just in the pipes (speculation based on drain valve openings on the bottm). I don't want the anti-freeze to get into the tank....
Old 01-23-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

In a TM, a bypass valve is not needed, so you probably don't have one. Everything gravity-drains, so I don't know why the dealer put antifreeze in the system - lack of knowledge, I guess.

There is not any particularly handy way to back flush the water heater, as you can see here.

http://tmphotos.org/modules/xoopsgal...?g2_itemId=176

Depending on where the anitfreeze is in the system, you could rig up a hose to one of the hot water faucets, and run water backward through the heater. Or you could pull out the anode rod (it is accessible from outside the TM), squirt water directly into the tank, and let it dribble out the anode-rod opening. However, assuming that the system has pink (non-toxic) antifreeze in it, the easiest way may to gravity drain everything, then run water in and through the system, and just flush it out the normal way.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Bill...you really have great info...and are so good to share it.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
Kentwesley

Default water heater

Thanks Bill. Yeah, the dealer was not very knowledgeable. I think I'll take your suggestion and just flush out the system. It's the pink anti-freeze...which I guess is non-toxic.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Country Girl -

Many thanks for the kind words. Yup, it's what I do, and it's why Chris pays me the big bucks - nyuck nyuck nyuck. [Just to be sure there is no misunderstanding - moderators are NOT paid. It's a labor of love. Our desire is to try to help, and despite some opinions to the contrary, we are NOT here to enjoy a power trip.]

Kent -

Now that I've told you that everything gravity-drains, I'll tell you the two exceptions.

1. The water pump. After everything has gravity drained, run the water pump for 3 or 4 seconds (not longer), just to clear out the pumping chamber.

2. The shower heads, inside and outside. Just unscrew the head from the end of the hose (don't lose the little washer), shake out the water, and put the head in a safe place until spring. At the same time, open the shower valves and extend the hose to drain it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

And if you kitchen sink has a spray nozzle, unscrew that one too and drain the hose and shake out the valve before you screw it back on.

Mine froze and bursted last year...

Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote