TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Default Samsung Galaxy Tablet fit our needs

We bought a 7” Samsung Galaxy Tablet last summer so that we could be reached on the road. We may be the only couple left that don’t have a cell phone but never seemed to have needed one. Anyway my mother is “older” (I am in my 60”s) and we needed a way for family to reach us just in case.

This tablet has been great. It is a hot spot so we can use it to connect our computer to the internet. If we just want to look something up quickly we can just use the tab. The phone we can live without but the computer we can’t. I also figured out how to set it up so it can be used as a phone. Why not; I have used it a couple of times now. I had been looking for a GPS but never was able to find one people seemed to be pleased with. Well the tab has built in GPS that I use all the time around here for finding garage sales, and it works super. I have not done it yet but you can also store your music on it and listen like an I-pod. I can download books form my library or buy them and read them on the tab. It is also a camera. There are lost of great apps for it that I have found useful or just fun.

It is small enough to fit into a coat pocket, but the screen is large enough to be comfortable to use. I found a little carrying case that holds it and all accessories (AC and DC chargers etc.)

We got it through Verizon and pay $30 a month but believe it is worth it for us. We have never come close to using all the time we get. You get a large discount on the Tab when yo buy it with a plan. If you have WIFI available you can connect using it and not even use you plan time.

I just thought I would share this as it has met our needs so well and someone else might find it useful.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Brifla

Sounds like a great, versatile addition! My DROID phone has the WIFI hotspot capability also and we find it invaluable when travelling. We were in a fairly remote campground last weekend and still managed to have internet access (no 4G though). It's a great combination with a laptop (which I can't leave home without). I also recently ordered a USB TV tuner which I plan on using with the laptop instead of buying a television for the camper.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brifla View Post
Sounds like a great, versatile addition! My DROID phone has the WIFI hotspot capability also and we find it invaluable when travelling. We were in a fairly remote campground last weekend and still managed to have internet access (no 4G though). It's a great combination with a laptop (which I can't leave home without). I also recently ordered a USB TV tuner which I plan on using with the laptop instead of buying a television for the camper.
Could you tell us some more about that USB tuner? I had never heard of one until you mentioned it. I have been seriously considering buying a tv for the TM, but since I always take my laptop with me, I could just use my computer if that would work.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Brifla

Sure. There are bunch of them out there. They are like the TV tuner cards that people have in their desktop computers but instead these just plug in to the USB port on a computer (good with laptop). They have a coax connector on the other end of the USB stick that you connect to either an antenna or your cable coaxial feed. They are very versatile and allow you to not only watch live tv anywhere there is tv air signal or cable feed, but also allow your laptop to act as a DVR for recording and watching stuff later. They also can be used to convert VCR/DVD/etc to a digital copy kept on your computer. Search USB TV Tuner on a site such as Amazon or Buy.com. They range in price from $25-$150. I bought the Diamond TVW750USB ATI Theater HD 750 USB TV Tuner which is only $39.99 and has a $10 rebate right now. I'm hoping this will eliminate the need to purchase and carry a TV with me when camping. The only thing I will add that your laptop needs to have a little muscle (RAM and processor) if you are processing HD signals (which many local TV stations broadcast).
Old 02-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesherp View Post
We bought a 7” Samsung Galaxy Tablet last summer so that we could be reached on the road. We may be the only couple left that don’t have a cell phone but never seemed to have needed one. Anyway my mother is “older” (I am in my 60”s) and we needed a way for family to reach us just in case.

This tablet has been great. It is a hot spot so we can use it to connect our computer to the internet. If we just want to look something up quickly we can just use the tab. The phone we can live without but the computer we can’t. I also figured out how to set it up so it can be used as a phone. Why not; I have used it a couple of times now. I had been looking for a GPS but never was able to find one people seemed to be pleased with. Well the tab has built in GPS that I use all the time around here for finding garage sales, and it works super. I have not done it yet but you can also store your music on it and listen like an I-pod. I can download books form my library or buy them and read them on the tab. It is also a camera. There are lost of great apps for it that I have found useful or just fun.

It is small enough to fit into a coat pocket, but the screen is large enough to be comfortable to use. I found a little carrying case that holds it and all accessories (AC and DC chargers etc.)

We got it through Verizon and pay $30 a month but believe it is worth it for us. We have never come close to using all the time we get. You get a large discount on the Tab when yo buy it with a plan. If you have WIFI available you can connect using it and not even use you plan time.

I just thought I would share this as it has met our needs so well and someone else might find it useful.
How is the screen size, we can see DW's net book fine but my daughter's droid is almost impossible for us to see text. We have been looking for something to fill the gap where we can't get WIFI or cell coverage. We were looking into Verizon but backed off when we found out there was no apparent way track your usage.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #6
brulaz

Default Same in Canada

Agree totally about the 7" Galaxy Tab, though ours is on Rogers in Canada.

With the hotspot, it's our internet access point.

I too am reading library books (and free classic books from Gutenberg) using the Overdrive App. The Tab a little heavy but ok. The text is very clear and screen size is good.

Skype is available for phone calls (but we use our cell phone mostly)

Some games are addictive (like Tower Raiders) and very playable on the 7" screen.

Some people think the screen is too small, but they're more into movies. We avoid downloading video over the air as it can really eat into your data download limits.

The Google Maps and directions app works great with the built in GPS, but you need to be connected to the internet at the same time for the maps to download.

In the States we are currently using Verizon's Mifi, but when that contract expires I will try to get a another 7" Tab with the $30 for 2GB/month Version contract ... or maybe just a Verizon SIM card to plug into my Canadian Tab (but it would be nice to have 2 Tabs as already my wife and I are fighting over it to read books).

With the Mifi, you can monitor your usage on Verizon's website. Presumably you can do the same with the Tab. Another option though is Verizon Pre-Paid data, no-contract; but there I think you have to pay the full cost of the Tab.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Bob&Karen

Default We have...

... an iPad which has almost completely replaced our Macbook Pro. We have the wifi only version, but our iPhones will act as a hotspot on the road when needed. Used to have to get the MacBook out, connect the USB modem, and connect to the internet to find campgrounds, routes, etc. Now just use the iPhone hotspot and the iPad and have access to almost anything we need while travelling. Tablets are great devices, no matter the brand, when on the go.

Regards,

Bob
Old 02-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

I wasn't going to say anything about the addictive games but now that you have brought it up.

a few I found fun:

angry bird was fun for a few weeks

cut the rope I liked a lot better and still play it some

shoot the apple I got about 2 moths ago and still love it

Ok so now I did a little research on the tower games I actually paid for a game; all the others were free. I will let you know how it goes.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:54 AM   #9
wtbrian

They are highly portable, especially the 7" prefer the 10" screensize though! Use it with Skype as a phone when there is internet access around.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #10
Pitbull

Check out the Galaxy Note!

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...GH-I717ZBAATT#

Koz