TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-23-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
tucsoncarol
Site Sponsor

Default What is the speaker quality?

I'm looking to install a stereo in my unit, and I must admit I've been looking high end (don't ya' know). It then occurred to me that there is no point spending BIG bucks on a radio/cd player if the speakers aren't so good. If the speakers are trash, what does anyone replace them with? If they sound solid, has anyone bought a player that overtaxed the speakers? What about a sub-woofer? Is that overkill?

In the days of my youth, I was (yes, indeed) a stereo snob. When cds replaced vinyl, I lost interest in some of that. It seems that all media and methods are temporary now.

I had to convince my son this Christmas that an I-pod wasn't worth the money (whew) when, in his short life, the storage methods had changed a couple of times and he would live to see them change much more. Just how many times can you replace a music collection?
tucsoncarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:33 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsoncarol
... has anyone bought a player that overtaxed the speakers? What about a sub-woofer?
Remember, Carol, a campground is small place, your neighbors are very close, and a TM's walls are hardly soundproof. If you set up your TM and start thumping like one of those stupid little cars that sit next to me at a stoplight with their purple neon lights blazing out from underneath - well, you may find yourself thrown out of the campground (at best).

But, you knew that, right?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 08:03 PM   #3
wesslvm
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Remember, Carol, a campground is small place, your neighbors are very close, and a TM's walls are hardly soundproof. If you set up your TM and start thumping like one of those stupid little cars that sit next to me at a stoplight with their purple neon lights blazing out from underneath - well, you may find yourself thrown out of the campground (at best).

But, you knew that, right?

Bill
I echo Bill's sentiment. The speakers are nothing to brag about. I have a cheap unit with MP3 and audio jack on the front (Audiovox). Since I'll never really want to listen loud or care much about how crisp and clear the music is compared to the great outdoors, I couldn't justify going the audiophile route.

Vince
Old 01-25-2005, 08:10 PM   #4
BobRederick

I am interested in the results of this thread as well. My goal is to put in a 5.1 Dolby home theater sound system. I am thinking of using the TM speakers for the back. Maybe something tiny like the little Bose ones for front. In the deal, I want to achieve TV, CD/DVD and stereo radio to the speakers. I also want something with low current draw for dry camping. Has anyone on the forum achieved this? If so, what components did you select?

Bob
Old 01-28-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
tucsoncarol
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Remember, Carol, a campground is small place, your neighbors are very close, and a TM's walls are hardly soundproof.
Ok, ok, I know not to alienate the neighbors, but, really, a good system is needed more at low sound levels than at high. Any ol' cheesy thing can crank out rap (do I dare say nothing makes THAT into music) but I sometimes like a little background music. Quality sound makes it listen-able instead of annoying.

That does remind me of one of my favorite camping stories. My husband and I watched the sun set as a little gopher did that cartoon "pulling the plant underground" routine and laughed roundly to hear the neighbors spend the same time watching Nature on PBS. We always wondered how far they had to drive for what was outside their door to count as nature.
tucsoncarol is offline   Reply With Quote