TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Feedback to TrailManor
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
Like2Ride

Default TM Quality in 2010

I have read a lot of posts on this forum with a lot of good advice from a lot of smart people. What I don't understand is why the quality of TM is still so poor when you pay such a premium for the product. I bought my 2010 TrailMini and got a lot of training on the unit. The dealer did a great job with the training. It wasn't till I got home from the 5 hour drive from the dealer that I started seeing issues. Most of which would/should have been caught by even the most basic of Quality Control departments. Maybe it is just the economic downturn and they laid off the QC folks, or they are building product with all the parts at the bottom of the bin. I did post on the frame forum a photo of how the frame bent when I tried to jack it up, so there are design issues as well. I tried writing to TM directly over a month ago, and got no response. Now I am hoping that if we all take exception to the sloppy workmanship, maybe those that follow can just buy a new unit and start camping instead of start fixing.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:34 AM   #2
mtnguy

I an not familiar with the overall quality of the 2010 units, but with what I have seen on other years the quality of Trailmanor is much better that those of other RVs. When I was at the factory in Aug. 2008, I was impressed with the operation there. I also saw where they had a "hiring" sign up at the main road, and was told that they were having trouble finding workers for the line. If that is still going on, then that might contribute to some quality issues. Trailmanor should (and probably will) address your issues. I realize that a 5 hour drive will be a big inconvenience to remedy your issues.

Regarding your bent frame, I realize that is a concern. I am no structural engineer, but it appears that just the lip of the C frame is bent, and not the vertical part. This might affect the integrity of the frame slightly, but I betcha you will never have a problem with that. Trailmanor apparently uses a lighter frame on the TrailMini to keep down on the weight. If they used a tubular frame similar to the fold-down models, than that would add another 100 lbs. or so to the total weight. With no intention of faulting anyone, when I lifted the tubular framed Trailmanor and the I-beam frame on my current travel trailer, I distribute the weight of my bottle jack by placing a board between the jack and the frame. I betcha this is 1 of those learning lessons that won't happen again.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
rjlwork

We have a mini too. Our only "issue" to date was the kichen sink not being glued underneath. Looked like it was dry fitted and never glued. Our local dealer is new to TM, but had no trouble diagnosing or fixing the problem. We were only out 4 times before we put it into storage for the winter, but shakedown seems complete. My only question is if the Carrier AC was included in the recall. Haven't received any notice and all paperwork is in the mini, under cover for now.

Judy Workman
2010 Trailmini
2007 Buick Rendezvous
Old 03-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Like2Ride

I do think there is something going wrong at TM - This is the list of what I remember that I found in the first month of ownwership.
1) The Factory installed radio - No reception - When I finally dunked a CD, only one speaker works. After searching the forum I found that several people had found the antenna disconnected at the left rear corner - not so on mine - no antenna wire in the bundle at all. Then I found that they just stuck a short white wire in the antena socket on the back of the radio and let it fall behind the fridge. I think the only way I am going to get any reception is to install an external antenna.
2) The kitchen drawers fell in. Turned out that they did not connect/support the back side of the drawer rails to anything. It just relies on the two staples in the front to hold the whole drawer assembly up. That didn't make the first 250 miles home.
3) Before connecting to site water supply, I purchased a water regulator, but when I turned on the camp site water, It started filling the compartment where the water tank resides. I was able to tighten connections and get it to stop leaking.
4) When we started to use the kitchen sink, we soon realized that the food in the cupboard underneath the sink was all wet. I tightened up all the drain connections and eventually got it to stop leaking. The drain is not centered in the sink hole, so I am sure I will be re-visiting this one.
5) The door on the electrical panel falls open every time you close the exterior door. Since it is next to the exterior door the chances of stepping on it and breaking it are great.
6) One of the vanity drawer fronts has a huge split lengthwise across the whole drawer.
7) The rear door does not line up unless you make the unit un-level. You need to torque it using the leveling jacks which makes the unit not level. Otherwise the latch between the upper and lower parts of the door doesn't connect right. The whole door frame is a mess - the holes where the latches go into the frame look like they used a can opener to make them (a great place to slice up a finger).
8) A number of holes in the floor that had little or no insulation. I do cold weather camping, so this is a concern especially when moving in freezing temps.
9) While I really like their overall design, there are some stupid things. I could not believe when I removed the outside frig cover looking for the radio problem, I notice that the cover frame is held on by several wood screws into small sticks of wood. Now many of us have probably done this type of temporary repair when we did not have the right screw and nut, but it is not something that I have ever considered permanent. The other design issue that was immediately evident was that when folded, the bathroom door hangs down and just bangs against the stationary part of the bath wall.
10) Probably the most agravating is when you take the time write an email to Customer Service at Trailmanor, and they don't respond at all, it is a sign of a company who does not value their customers.

While I can correct any of these (and I have corrected a number of them), the reason for my original post was to say that people buying new (at this time) need to have a dealer close by to finish assembling the unit. I still love the concept, I just wish they had more control over the quality of the product.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
AstroBruce

It's kinda hard to keep a trailer from falling apart, when everything inside is screwed to foam backed tinfoil.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
rubydoodle

If you have a problem, call TM and ask for Ed. TM has had some hard times, like the rest of the RV industry, but I believe they will try to please their customers. Also, I believe they would want to know problems their customers encounter. I know yesterday when we were there, they had not receptionist. She had taken another job, and they had not replaced her yet. We have always been pleased with their response to our questions and their work.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
pacificstar

Ok after reading these posts I'm not so sure the make is for me! I value customer care and customer appreciation from a company. I do like to buy new if I can afford it and this isn't making me feel so great about paying this much for a trailer. Thanks folks.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:55 AM   #8
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificstar View Post
Ok after reading these posts I'm not so sure the make is for me! I value customer care and customer appreciation from a company. I do like to buy new if I can afford it and this isn't making me feel so great about paying this much for a trailer. Thanks folks.
I'm not sure that it's just TrailManor having these problems. I have been debating on whether to get a fifth wheeler. As I do research on the models I have narrowed it down to, I keep running into similar kinds of problems from disatisified owners who have posted their experiences online in different forums.

It appears there are quality control issues across many makes and manufacturers of trailers.

As a business owner myself----I can testify to how hard it is to find good help. It appears less and less people are taking pride in their work, but the root causes of that would take up many forum pages.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I'm not sure that it's just TrailManor having these problems. I have been debating on whether to get a fifth wheeler. As I do research on the models I have narrowed it down to, I keep running into similar kinds of problems from disatisified owners who have posted their experiences online in different forums.

It appears there are quality control issues across many makes and manufacturers of trailers.

As a business owner myself----I can testify to how hard it is to find good help. It appears less and less people are taking pride in their work, but the root causes of that would take up many forum pages.
I agree with wmtire 100%.

The problem with forums like this is that the dissatisfied customers speak the loudest..........It's not many forums that you will find that happy customers post their delight. For the hundreds of trailers that are built and sold, the # of complaints seem to be relatively low IMO.....

That doesn't diminish the validity of those that do complain. It may just help add a little balance to the over-all issue.

Just the very concept of building a home on a trailer that is driven down rough roads, over pot-holes, up & down hills, in and out of driveways, hot weather and cold weather (often in the same day), Sun exposure, salty roads, ocean air and all the rest of it, is a daunting task.

The manufacturers have to compete in the market place by keeping assembly prices in line, yet still come up with a competitive product.

I'm not excusing anything BTW.......I'm just saying that the market place is driven by the consumer. If a manufacturer does not keep up with consumer demand (both quality and price) they will only last as long as their ability to bleed $.

I have seen some really poor design flaws in the TM line of trailers. It does take a disturbingly long time for TM to get on top of these flaws but it has been my experience that (in the end) they do address most of them. Assembly issues seem to be a more time critical problem and closely related to the quality of people employed and the training time dedicated.

It appears that it is certainly time for TM to get serious about employee training and quality control.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:03 AM   #10
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

Customer Service (what a joke) has also ignored my e-mails asking them about the rumored future availability of a power shell lift option (expensive but retrofitable). Even a "we don't know" reply would have been great but they totally ignore you just as I once witnessed the founder refuse to to acknowledge his factory receptionist's :Good Morning" greeting to him as he swept royally into his office. They appear to just not care anymore sad to say.
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote