TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-14-2003, 12:34 PM   #1
hal

Default Special bolt

I am looking for a special type of fastener.  One end is threaded and the other has a flip top.  The top flips vertically to allow the top to fit through a hole and is then held in place by flipping or swinging the top to a horizontal position.  The purpose of this item is to allow the removal of objects without the need for nuts and washers.

Is there any great specialty source that anyone might recommend my searching through.

I have drawn a picture of it but do not understand how to get it inserted along with this message.

Hal

Old 06-14-2003, 12:57 PM   #2
hal

Default Re: Special bolt

The attached is a drawing of the fastener that I am searching for.  I hope it comes through.

Hal
Old 06-14-2003, 11:41 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Hal -

I put your drawing of the special bolt HERE for others to see.  Nicely done drawing, by the way.

I have seen these things, though I'll be darned if I remember what they are called.  I believe that they can be found in the special fasteners sections of Home Depot, probably Lowes.  I think they can also be found in your local ACE Hardware store, in those stacks of shallow pull-out trays that contain every weird part in the world - I love those trays!

Anyway, you should be able to find them without too much trouble.  Your drawing is good enough that you could print it out, take it to the store, and show it to the hardware guy!  He will recognize it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 09:18 AM   #4
dmegde

Quote:
The attached is a drawing of the fastener that I am searching for. I hope it comes through.

Hal
[img]URL[/img]
Old 06-17-2003, 09:29 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Hal -

I was just down at my local ACE/TRUEVALUE Hardware Store.  I think that is a national chain ...  Anyway, I described your special bolt to the guy as "like a toggle bolt, except there is a slot in the end of the bolt and a tilty thing in the slot."  "Aha!" he said, and walked me right over to the bins that hold "Hollow Wall Anchors".  They are a bit pricey, but when nothing else will do ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 10:09 AM   #6
hal

Thanks, I will visit our Ace.  in the past when I visited them and described my needs, I got a blank stare and the a negative answer.  

Thanks.

Hal
Old 06-17-2003, 11:58 AM   #7
efelker

Hal:

That would be the "You mean I'm suppossed to know something about the product we sell?" reaction.  Very similar to some of the dealer descriptions in this forum when the first time they have ever seen a TM was when they took it in trade for whatever they sold -- hence the need for this absolutely outsytanding and informative forum.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:12 AM   #8
2619PDX

Yeah. Wall anchors. I've also seen them used on sail boats as well.

What are you going to be doing with them on the Manor?

Gregg ???
Old 06-18-2003, 12:36 PM   #9
hal

I am looking for this special bolt (4) that would screw into the TM window frame.  The floppy end would be inserted through holes (40) in the screen.  The purpose would be to make the screens removable (for washing windows) by flipping the hinged piece.  I have also discovered other type fasteners, that may work even better.  If they should work efficiently, possibly the TrailManor factory could be convinced to use them on their trailers.  Just imagine a fully clean window.

Hal
Old 06-19-2003, 12:29 AM   #10
KB7OUR

Hal, what a neat idea to have easily removable window screens.  If there is anyone who can make this work it would be you  .  I'm in the process of adding window tint to every window and am finding that it is quite a chore to do because you have to first take off the valance, curtain, rip the screen out, then remove the frame just to get to both sides of the windows.  So far so good, just slow going.  It's going to look very nice for a do-it-yourselfer  ;D.  Just what we need for our travels through the AZ heat  .

Wade