TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-05-2022, 06:05 AM   #41
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
I’ve seen the panels being made. All the panels have a frame around the perimeter. When I gut my 2619 for parts I’ll rip the roof off so you can see.
Perhaps you are referring to the NEW TMs being built? And is this frame that you are referring to metal or wood?
coralcruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:53 AM   #42
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcruze View Post
Perhaps you are referring to the NEW TMs being built? And is this frame that you are referring to metal or wood?
I’ve seen the brand new ones being built. And the one I’m getting is a 2002, pretty sure it’s aluminum frame. But I guess we will see. But I’m pretty sure there has to be something around the perimeter to screw the panels together.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:18 AM   #43
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
I’ve seen the brand new ones being built. And the one I’m getting is a 2002, pretty sure it’s aluminum frame. But I guess we will see. But I’m pretty sure there has to be something around the perimeter to screw the panels together.
Ok I can see that but those serve the purpose of connecting the panels together right? so in that sense they would be a structural tie but that's very different from a structural frame member that one could tie into or it being structural reinforcement of the shell system.

This begs the question if these are in fact connection points to the panels than why would we have to switch out the entire shell and not just the two roof panels for example? Hmnnn
Old 07-05-2022, 02:05 PM   #44
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcruze View Post
Ok I can see that but those serve the purpose of connecting the panels together right? so in that sense they would be a structural tie but that's very different from a structural frame member that one could tie into or it being structural reinforcement of the shell system.

This begs the question if these are in fact connection points to the panels than why would we have to switch out the entire shell and not just the two roof panels for example? Hmnnn
They quoted it out both ways. Labor of disassembling and reassembling was more expensive than materials to replace.

Anyway, I’m really bowing out now.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:28 PM   #45
coralcruze

Question.. can't you just swap out the tanks at say a home depot? Why go through the trouble of recertification? Maybe a dumb question.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:33 PM   #46
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Vertical tanks yes, horizontal, no.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:36 PM   #47
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
Vertical tanks yes, horizontal, no.
Perfect... my tanks are vertical. I just spent an hour calling gas companies near me and none of them Recertify tanks. I will just swap them out with a full tank at HD then. Thanks for the info. I was begining to thing that RV tanks were special in some way.

http://https://www.homedepot.com/p/q...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 07-05-2022, 03:20 PM   #48
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

You can find vertical tank swap out places just about every where.
The horizontal tanks are the odd tank out, because they lay on their side. Keep in mind your type of propane tank is the same as what bar-b-que grills use, but they also have the 12 year requirement for recertification.
When you swap it out, make sure it has a good and readable date stamped on it. I swapped out two tanks for the grill, and could just barely see/find the inspection date. The servicer painted the tanks and the store I was at, had to get a different set that he too could see the dates.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:07 PM   #49
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
You can find vertical tank swap out places just about every where.
The horizontal tanks are the odd tank out, because they lay on their side. Keep in mind your type of propane tank is the same as what bar-b-que grills use, but they also have the 12 year requirement for recertification.
When you swap it out, make sure it has a good and readable date stamped on it. I swapped out two tanks for the grill, and could just barely see/find the inspection date. The servicer painted the tanks and the store I was at, had to get a different set that he too could see the dates.
Thanks for this valuable tip. I will do this thank you!
Old 07-19-2022, 11:51 AM   #50
richclemson

Shane is correct, the framing is perimeter and meant to attach the panels together. It couldn’t be structural without a lot of work - remember the sides of the cap are only held up by the pivot arms. To make it structural it would take reframing the caps fro the ground up.

It is not snow load alone - snow traps water and the water sits like a puddle. Shane is also right, it’s the freeze thaw that splits the bond between the styrofoam and aluminum or within the styrofoam itself.

Arch strength comes from the shear strength of bond between the adhesive and the aluminum. Without the bond, the arch pushes outward on the walls and flattens. In order to flatten the bonds have to break within the roof so the three panels (Al, Poly, Al) can move relative to each other.

Exoskeleton and inside supports are constrained by the collapsing system, weight balance and where to tie them in. One could try to locate an inside hat bracket on the front side of the ac and establish resting points when collapsed and posts when open. Behind the ac would have to be actually inside the rear cap and would have the same closed and open support challenge. Lots to think about for sure.
richclemson is offline   Reply With Quote