TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
Eskay1

Default Rear bumper basket

Hello,
We have a 1990 2619.
We have been kicking around the idea of adding a golf cart to our arsenal of camping toys. Does anyone have any insight or experience mounting an atv type basket to the 4" rear bumper? The cart we are looking at is a cricket and only weighs 303 lbs and folds up essentially. I would reinforce the mount to the frame as i woukdnt trust the bumper welds themselves but I supppose the main concern is 300-350 lbs added to the tail end of the trailer. Suspension/strain/weight distribution concerns come to mind. Has anyone done this before?

This is the "type" of basket im thinking of. https://www.discountramps.com/traile...caAlvaEALw_wcB

Cricket sw3
http://www.cricketesv.ca/english/Products.php

Thanks!
Shannon
Eskay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Hmmm. You are thinking of mounting nearly 500 pounds of weight (basket plus cart) centered 2 feet behind the TM's rear bumper?

My initial thought is that the TM's optional rear bumper hitch is rated for only about 100 pounds. You have to ask why it is limited to this number, and what it means to ignore it, especially by that much?

First, strength of the mounting scheme has to be considered, as you mentioned. A lot of reinforcing will be needed to change a 100 pound limit to 500 pounds.

Beyond that, a weight this far back will take probably 200 pounds of weight off the hitch at the front of the TM. Most TMs, packed and ready to camp, have a hitch weight of 350-400 pounds. Hitch weight of any trailer (not just a TM) must be at least 10% of the total weight being towed, and TM uses 14% to avoid sway. Cutting the hitch weight to half or lower is really not a good idea. It almost guarantees you will encounter a lot of trailer sway.

It also increases the gross weight of the ready-to-camp trailer by 500 pounds. What is your tow vehicle, and what is its trailer weight rating?

I don't mean to be Debbie Downer here, but my opinion is that you should really rethink this idea.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:37 PM   #3
Eskay1

Thanks for the info. You had me at the bumper is rated at 100 lbs. I didnt know that. Time for a new plan. Thanks again.
Eskay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Sharon -

One possibility is to mount a hitch on the front of your tow vehicle. This can be done by any hitch installer. Check out etrailer.com for some details. Although it is a little strange looking when you have the basket in place, it works quite well. Of course you must consider the effect it may have on airflow to the vehicle's radiator. This is especially important if your tow vehicle is a bit undersize and is already struggling a bit. And doubly important if you plan to tow in mountainous terrain, where the engine is working hard, and slower speeds mean less cooling air flow.

On the other hand, one advantage of a front hitch is that you can use it to maneuver your TM into a tight spot. This is a lot easier than backing the TM into place using the normal rear-mounted hitch.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote