TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #1
rmHaar

Default Anyone have tips for dealing with insurance to get full value on a total loss?

We had a 2008 3023 until yesterday. The place we store it for the winter burned to the ground with our camper inside among others. We had it on our auto policy for collision and comprehensive coverage. I know blue book tends to run less than what they sell for, and TMs are a low volume unit so finding comparable examples can be tough. Anyone have any tips or advice?
rmHaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:10 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We had ours totaled too (but we kept it) and my husband and I looked up ads for older, well-kept TM's and printed them off. We also had a file full of receipts showing the improvements we've made to it. New this, new that, etc. He is a salesman and he has a way of persuading people over to his way of thinking.

Sorry to hear about your loss, it would break my heart if ours burned up. We've put so much love and work into it.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:44 AM   #3
rmHaar

I sent them the NADA value for a 2011, that's the furthest they went back plus a couple of dealer ads that had been sold and listed asking price. USAA ended up giving us $9176 after the $500 deductible which I was happy with. We also got $750 for the contents. We valued the contents at $2100 but to get that we would have had to submitted a homeowner's claim as well. The process took about 3 weeks, 1 of which was us trying to remember everything in the camper and then finding it online to get a replacement cost.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:07 PM   #4
Heidi94596

Hello,
Do you have Progressive insurance with USAA?
In addition to the insurance did you add the trailercas a vehicle. I do not think that my trailerv is added along with my vehicles. I have been concerned that I do not have the right coverage. Please let me know what insurance etc that you jave. Thanks
Heidi94596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:55 PM   #5
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

We had our on our auto policy. But we insured it at "STATED VALUE". When adding the TM we told them the value. If a total loss I would get stated value less deductible. My 2009 3023 stated value $13,000 I had full coverage less $500 deductible. I have found its always less expensive on used campers to use stated value. You do need to be somewhat inline with value
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:18 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Assuming that your trailer insurance is provided by the same company that insures your car ---

Quite often, the liability coverage on the trailer comes directly from the liability coverage on the tow vehicle, and quite often at no added cost. However, the "loss" part of the trailer coverage is written separately, billed separately, and paid for separately. The amount of coverage (in other words, the amount that the insurance company will pay you if the trailer is lost), is stated within that part of the policy. Also stated is how that coverage will change as the trailer gets older and its value drops. You will need to state the initial value - easy if you bought the trailer new, not quite so easy if it was used) - the yearly adjustment will be automatic unless you intervene.

You should be aware that any kind of major TM body damage is hard (read "expensive") to repair, and the insurance company will likely declare your TM totaled when they get the repair estimate from TM. So be sure you are comfortable with the amount of your coverage.

It is possible, but not fun, to wade through your insurance policy. If you are unsure of anything, ask your agent, and write down his answer.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:09 AM   #7
kempert
Site Sponsor

Bill, you're on a roll this AM! More great info for those interested.

BTW - I found the site below a very good source of info on the basics and details of RV insurance: https://www.rvingplanet.com/blog/rv-insurance-tips/ (Sorry, I couldn't get the link to work so people will have to copy & paste.) Bill, if you can fix it, you have my permission.

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:30 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempert View Post
Sorry, I couldn't get the link to work so people will have to copy & paste.) Bill, if you can fix it, you have my permission.
It's working for me. You must have found the way to fix it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:09 AM   #9
rmHaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi94596 View Post
Hello,
Do you have Progressive insurance with USAA?
In addition to the insurance did you add the trailercas a vehicle. I do not think that my trailerv is added along with my vehicles. I have been concerned that I do not have the right coverage. Please let me know what insurance etc that you jave. Thanks
The trailer was listed under our auto policy as its own item. I sent them the nada book value and 3 comps I found on the internet. They pais us around $9k which I was happy with. I was worried they were only going to give us loan payoff.