TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-10-2003, 05:13 AM   #1

Default bed for 3023

We would like to upgrade the rear mattress (Queen) on our 2003 3023.  Does any one know how the maximum height the mattress can be?
Old 02-10-2003, 09:31 AM   #2
Happytrails

Default Re: bed for 3023

Tish, what most of us have done is bought one of those simple "eggcrate" matress covers to throw over the top of the existing mattress. It makes a WORLD of difference, and is a cheap solution to what is undoubtely the same problem all the rest of us have had. Your unit will still close fine, and you'll be MUCH more comfortable. It's a cheap solution as well. Check your local Wallyworld, they're not expensive at all. I bought one for the front bed in mine at dollar general for about $8.00! (We haven't used the bed yet, and is still in the package, but at least we have it if we need it).

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........[/glow]
Old 02-10-2003, 01:55 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I agree with HappyTrails - we have egg crate and love it.  But if you really want an answer, close and latch the rear half, climb into the front half, duck-waddle down the aisle, and measure the amount of clearance above the bed. It isn't very much, actually ...  I don't believe you can fit a full-thickness house-type mattress.

On the other hand, I went to an RV and Camper Show a year ago, and one of the collapsible trailer manufacturers had an innerspring mattress in the same thickness as a usual RV foam mattress.  Lord, it felt good!  Sad to say I don't recall the name of the RV manuf, but it was one of the major ones. Jayco maybe?  Anyway, a trip to a show ought to uncover it, and you could probably special-order it from their parts center.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 01:33 PM   #4
hal

Texas Camper
It may be that you may have been misinformed about the lights coming on when the top is down and the light rests on the matress, etc.  

I think what you may be referring to is the fact the the light switch may be turned to the on position by rubbing on the the mattress, but the light does not turn on until you stand the bathroom wall upright.  Then the wall presses against the kill switch and allows the power in the rear half to turn on.  Thank goodness for the kill switch.  I wish there were one in the front section as well.  In many of the tent trailers, there is no kill switch.  If you mistakenly leave a light on, or if it inavertantly gets turned on from motion on the highway, a fire will most likely result.  The hot lamp that is touching the blankets cause it to flare up, often destroying the camper.  If you have a light that not only turns up but lights up, you shouldn't ignore it, or else make sure your insurance is paid up.

Hal