TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-08-2003, 11:39 AM   #1
MikeD
Site Sponsor

Default Brake Controller Recommendation ?

We've just ordered our 2720. We are towing newbie's and I'm wondering if there is a consensus on brake controllers. We will be towing with the 2720 with a 2001 Chevy Tahoe, 5.3L engine, and factory tow package. From other threads on this board, it appears that many people are happy with the Prodigy controller, but I’m wondering if my intended usage makes any difference (I’m not really sure that I know what to look for in a brake controller).

We live outside of Sonora in California, and plan to use the trailer to camp in Yosemite in off seasons (up and down Priest Grade on highway 120 if anyone is familiar), along with other National and State parks (mostly in the Eastern Sierra). We also plan some longer trips in the future to the Southwest and Yellowstone. So we will definitely have a mixture of Interstate and mountain driving. Does this place any special requirement on the brake controller ??

Thanks in advance -- MikeD
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 12:13 PM   #2
Windbreaker

Default Re:Brake Controller Recommendation ?

I think any good brake controller is fine. The Prodigy is good. The only thing you have to look out for is there are some older style ones still out there that work on a gravity/tilt type setup. These can cause problems when going down hills, as in applying the trailer breaks all the way down thus over heating them. Let your motor break you going down hills, use the lower gears.

Other than that one caviet I don't think you will have any problems.

I found a really good trailer shop and talked to the men there for days about towing when I first started, sure set my mind at ease, if you can, I would suggest you do the same. Talk about hitches, breaks, correct level of the trailer while in tow, weight considerations, or anything you can think of.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:20 PM   #3
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

PRODIGY, PRODIGY, PRODIGY!!

Especially when you are talking Priest Grade.

You will never regret a Prodigy, but you "might" regret something else.

JMNSHO,

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 01:13 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

In a few rare instances, a controller (any controller) can produce a SLAM as you take your foot off the brake. This is caused by the trailer brakes releasing before the tow vehicle brakes release. This allows the trailer to SLAM forward into the hitch while the tow vehicle is still slowing down. It is very disconcerting, and would certainly result in damage if allowed to continue.

This happened with my original controller. I replaced it with another model (same manufacturer), and it is no longer a problem. I'm trying to figure out how common this is - I have found a few reports on the Internet, but not many. If anyone has (or has had) this problem, I would like to hear from you.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 01:35 PM   #5
MikeD
Site Sponsor

Bill,

Thanks for the warning. I'll be looking for that when we test drive the trailer at pick-up. That would certainly whig me out if it happened while descending a mountain grade (I assume that the SLAM would be greater).

Does this appear to be a problem isolated to a controller or somcething caused by a user adjustment ? That is, if I get a controller and do not have the problem, should I assume that the problem will not develop latter ??

thanks, MikeD
Old 09-08-2003, 03:11 PM   #6
hal

There are several good points to be made in favor of the Prodigy Brake Control. One that seems to be overlooked when statemnts in favor of it is the "hill climb feature". I had this feature on an old Studebaker and found it very helpful. How does the hill climb work? Have you ever come to a stop at an intersection at the top of a hill. Ordinarily you will need to keep your foot on the brake to prevent the car and trailer from rolling backward down the hill. Then at the precise moment you release the brake to place your foot on the throttle, a momentary backward roll occurs. Not with the hill climb feature. To activate it, keep your foot on the brake for at least five seconds. You can remove your foot to place it on the throttle and your vehicles will remain as if your foot is still on the brake pedal. Then when you push the throttle for forward movment, the brake is released and you are on your way. No momentary roll back into into the grille of the car behind your trailer.

Hal
Old 09-08-2003, 03:15 PM   #7
MikeD
Site Sponsor

Hal,

Are you saying that the Prodigy operates your Tow Vehicle's brakes in addition to the trailers ? I thought that only the trailer brakes were controlled by the Prodigy.

MikeD
Old 09-08-2003, 03:56 PM   #8
Happytrails

Hal,
Wow, I never even knew of that feature! Shortly after getting mine installed, I lost the instructions somehow, and am still kinda figuring it out. (Though the people who installed it did set it up as well for me). Lol, learn something new everyday!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.....[/glow]
Old 09-08-2003, 06:02 PM   #9
KdHammonds

I agree with Civil_War_Buff, the Prodigy is a great controller. I originally had a Reese controller installed on my van. My complaint with the Reese controller was it didn't adjust for how quickly I was trying to brake. Once I set the voltage output for hard braking at 20MPH that became the max voltage the controller always went to. You could adjust how soon after stepping on the brake it went to the set voltage, but it was always going to the same point. This would cause the trailer to "jerk" against the TV when trying to gently slow down.

I decided after hearing all the great recommendations on the Prodigy to replace the Reese. The Prodigy works great and adjusts the voltage output to the rate of deceleration. I am very pleased with the decision to go to the Prodigy.

Old 09-08-2003, 06:06 PM   #10
hal

MikeD. Your question about the Prodigy locking the TV brakes.... heck, I don't know. I would imagine that when the brakes are locked on the trailer that they must hold the tv and trailer in place. This feature does work very well. Without it, the tv and trailer would roll backward at the moment you took your foot off the brake. I can sit at the top of a hill with my foot ready to push on the gas pedal and not roll back at all. It sure beats buying someone in a Volkswagen a new radiator.

Hal