TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2002, 05:58 PM   #1

Default On Towing the TM vs. ...

I can now report on the apples and oranges of towing a TM2720 vs a full size travel trailer.

Maybe I should say "apples and watermelons"  8) cause towing the new trailer is more like hauling a rolling billboard.

I recently hauled the new trailer north from Phoenix up Interstate 17 toward Flagstaff, about 120 miles each way.  The elevation change is from 1,200 feet to about 5,000 feet and back down to 4,100 feet.  The return trip had a serious (about 25-30mph) quartering headwind.  Mileage numbers are round-trip for the new trailer, total average for the TM.

The tow vehicle is a Diesel 4x4 Excursion, with 45,000 miles at average mpg just under 15, including 3,000+ towing miles.  (I hit 20mpg average once on a non-towing trip from Phoenix to Denver).

[table]
[tr][td][/td][td]TM2720[/td][td]Full Size TT[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Towing Length[/td][td]21 feet[/td][td]32 feet[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Towing Weight[/td][td]~3,000 lbs[/td][td]~8,000 lbs[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Total Rig Weight[/td][td]9,000 lbs[/td][td]14,000 lbs [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Hitch[/td][td]EAZlift equalizing[/td][td]Hensley Arrow[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Towing Fuel Mileage[/td][td]13-14mpg[/td][td]9-10mpg[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]6% Grade Speed[/td][td]65mph (easy)[/td][td]45mph (pedal to the metal)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]# of "Moments"[/td][td]none[/td][td]one (so far)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Driver's Stress Factor (0-9)[/td][td]2[/td][td]7[/td][/tr]
[/table]
My one moment was on that 6% descent.  Just felt a little strange being pushed downhill. :P

I most definitely would not tow this large a trailer without some sway control.   My 15 mile tow home before I installed the Hensley was enough to convince me.   I wouldn't have known of the headwind, though, without passing a flag pole.  There's no way you can forget this large a box is following you down the road!

The TM was quite another thing.  There are times I'd go for miles on these southwest two lane back roads and forget the TM was behind me.  That's with just the equalizing hitch.

I only lost about 10% - 15% fuel economy with the TM, now it's about 40%-50% loss with the full size trailer.  Still, 10.2mpg is better than I'd expected.

BTW, we just outgrew the TM, with two toddlers running amok.  My better half is a lot less stressed with the new trailer.   I suppose I am, too.   After we arrive and I'm unhitched, that is!  
Old 06-20-2002, 02:53 AM   #2
arknoah

Default Re: On Towing the TM vs. ...

Jon,

Great to hear from you again.  I agree that your miles per gallon are really not bad considering what you're hauling, though that one moment on the 6% grade might have done me in!

Good to hear that you're back out of the road in your new full-size trailer.