TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2010, 11:54 PM   #1
Bigbit

Default Towing Elkmont 24' with Buick Enclave?

We currently have a 2010 Forest River R-Pod 175 that we can easily tow with our 2009 Buick Enclave, equipped with a 3800cc V6 and towing package (rated to 4500 lbs). The Enclave is a sister vehicle to the GMC Acadia and Chevy Traverse, and the vehicle itself has a long wheel base and a weight of 4800 lbs.

The dry weight of the R-Pod is listed at 2500 with about 200 pounds of tongue weight. I have never double checked these figures at a truck scale. With the R-Pod, we felt pretty safe towing with an almost 2-1 ratio of TV capacity to trailer weight.

But the bottom line is that we are finding the R-Pod too confining comfort-wise, and would very much enjoy the extra room of the Elkmont 24'.

Is anyone else here towing an Elkmont with a V6 SUV or crossover, and how has the towing experience been? We live in Southern CA, so we do on rare occassions make some fairly demanding climbs /decents. The worst challenge we put the Enclave / R-Pod pair through was an ascent up to Big Bear Lake, where we went from 1500 feet up to 7200 feet altitude in 90 degree weather. The going was a bit slow at times but the Buick was no worse for wear. For most trips, we avoid the large elevation changes, keeping them to 1000 feet or less.

Although we don't use a WDH or sway bar with the R-Pod, if we get the Elkmont I've already decided to use both.

I want to know now how challenging / problematic towing an Elkmont might be with the Enclave before I lay any cash out. Thanks in advance for your advice.